“A step into a charming era of the past.”
Review of VR Hamilton Hotel

VR Hamilton Hotel
Ranked #39 of 63 Hotels in Hamilton
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We had an enjoyable one-night stay & loved the old-world charm of this former "grand" hotel. The back entrance from the covered car park certainly was not inspiring but once inside it was comfortable & interesting.I was a bit perturbed to find no electric blanket on the bed but found the central heating made for a really cosy night.--until 3a.m. when awoken by the street noise.Spent some time looking out the window at the hundreds of young ones as they came from the bars & tried to secure taxis.Despite the very cold night the girls were scantily clad!We enjoyed a full breakfast next morning & found all the staff friendly & helpful.Altogether for the price we paid it was great value.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
HamiltonCityOaks, Guest Relations Manager at VR Hamilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear Sandy S,

Thank you so much for your feedback. Any feedback we receive helps to make us better. There are a number of issues raised that will help us improve as a property. I have passed on your recommendations to the relevant department heads to address.

I am glad you enjoyed your overall stay and we hope to see you again in the future.

Thank you again for sharing this with us.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

We last stayed at this hotel during previous ownership and we did wonder about any improvements. We were located in a corner room onto the two main streets. They had put new windows and frames over the existing windows so they blocked out some noise. We didn't find it too noisy until 2am at which time I assume it was the street cleaner machine going up and down the street. It was a great room especially with the very tall ceilings which add much to the character on this delightful hotel. Curtains and nets were worn, but I'd rather had worn nets then none at all.

Bed was comfortable and lounge area suitable. Room was huge which we loved. Unfortunately only a fan heater to heat such a large room wasn't practicable. We found the two mismatching mugs disappointing especially since this has been mentioned before in the reviews.

Bathroom linen needs refreshing as it feels old and unfortunately one facecloth, although clean, appeared to have an old stain on it. Also one small soap to use felt very budget to us. Loved having a bath in the bathroom although the shower rose wasn't high enough (though common for this time period).

The lady who checked us in and out was very friendly. Reception area clean and tidy. Parking can be difficult and the back outside area needs tidying up. This was exactly the same as last time. It would be nice to improve this area, but practically I'm not sure if this is possible.

We will no doubt return to this hotel as we love the character so hopefully by that time it would have received some TLC.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
HamiltonCityOaks, Guest Relations Manager at VR Hamilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear joken630,

I thank you for taking your valuable time out and providing such a constructive feedback.

There is so much learning from your review and I will be sharing this with each member of our team, both for the areas where we were commended for and the occasions where we had scope of improvement, such as the bathroom linen and amenities, mismatching mugs, and the small fan heater used to heat the room.

I have passed all these points onto management, and there is discussion of replacing all mugs and glasses in the rooms, along with the bathroom linen. We are hoping to replace the air con unit also to a better heating/cooling system as you are correct, trying to heat such a large room with such a small fan heater is impractical and we do apologize for this.

The car park area is also unfortunately an issue that we need to improve.

We are hoping to do renovations as soon as we can to correct these issues, and we would love for you to come back and stay with us again next time you are in Hamilton to see our improvements.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

We stayed at the Le Grand for our Wedding night 13 years ago, I was terribly disappointed that the hotel had gone backwards. When we first arrived at the back entrance, it was messy, unpainted and unwelcoming, as was the inside of the back door looked like we were going to a back packers accommodation. However the main entrance and reception was beautiful with helpful staff.

Heading up to our room we were greeted with bags of rubbish every where and beds in hall ways this made the hotel look like a hostel. Our room (executive suite) was spacious and looked extravagant with the mahogany furniture. Unfortunately the seating in front of the TV was very uncomfortable and ripped. We chose this room for the large bathroom and spa bath. It was sad to see the sink was cracked. Wanting to use the complimentary body lotion etc found that the body lotion had been used was a little disturbing.

What made us laugh at this boutique hotel, is that we went to enjoy some wine to find six wine glasses in the cupboard, no two matched then on further inspection the coffee cups were from some coffee brand, we thought this was a really budget experience. The bathroom could use better lighting around the mirror for make up purposes.

The best part for this hotel is location, although ear plugs were provided it is noisy if you are not used to city noises. After the body lotion experience I did not want to try the ear plugs out.

Overall we felt it wasn't a boutique experience, a lot of work needs to be done to get it up to a "boutique" standard. However if you want highly priced budget accommodation it would sum it up quite well. I would rather go back to Novatel and pay more money for a better experience.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
HamiltonCityOaks, Guest Relations Manager at VR Hamilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear Tadpole21,

There is so much learning from your review and I will be sharing this with each member of our team, both for the areas where we were commended for and the occasions where we had scope of improvement such as leaving the used body lotion in the room, and the over all maintenance of our property. I will pass onto Management regarding the mismatching glassware also.

I do apologize that you had a disappointing stay. We are looking at starting renovations very shortly which means double glazing of all the windows, new furniture, bathrooms etc. The back of the hotel will also be redone also as soon as we can.

We would love to have you staying with us on your next visit to Hamilton to see what difference your feedback has made to the quality of our guest's experience.

Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

Walked in after been recommended the pub. Busy but not packed. Staff members... girls.... rude abrupt and basically could of been on the set of mean girls. Ordered food was given a number but not told we couldn't eat at the bar.... there were no seats. Were begrudgingly moved to the restaurant. Food looked good but walked out without eating due to the appalling service.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
HamiltonCityOaks, Guest Relations Manager at VR Hamilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear Claire M,

I believe this review was meant for Keystone, we are the Hamilton City Oaks hotel.

I am sorry to hear of your experience though! Next time you want some place to dine in Hamilton, I have heard great things about The Bank. Victoria Street Bristro is very very good, and so is Bluestone Steakhouse. Furnace has fantastic pizzas.

I hope this helps!

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Advertised as luxury accommodation _ this is not factual _ the curtains were ripped , window sills were cracked and broken , the heating consisted of a very small fan heater.
We were pleased with the location but the road noise was incredibly loud. My wife slept the first night but on the Friday with a band playing in the bar under our room both of us were awake at 11pm , this is when we decided to book out and go home
The staff were good , probably the best part of our stay , we were offered ear plugs but feel that if they knew about the noise problem perhaps they should not have booked the room.
If you can handle extremely loud noise this hotel would suit you fine
This hotel was clean and comfortable and if they can insulate the rooms from noise a place I would stay again.

Room Tip: Don't take any room near the road
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
HamiltonCityOaks, Guest Relations Manager at VR Hamilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear Keith A,

I sincerely apologize the noise caused you to leave early, and I do agree that there is a lot of room for improvement regarding the noise. I am pleased to say that we are in the process of putting up new curtains in each and every room! However the noise does still remain an issue. In the meantime, we are trying to sort this issue out with the bar downstairs and when we start renovations, hopefully soon, we will be looking to double glaze all the windows and install proper insulation to help decrease noise also.

We would really like you to come back and stay with us next time you are in Hamilton and once all these improvements have been put in place, and I can assure you that your experience with us will be much more positive.

Please accept my gratitude for sharing this with me.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Lovely situation with a host of great restaurants right there Refurbishes and spacious rooms but noise from street below meant not much sleep. Drunken revellers and loud cars mean the rooms need sound proofing. They do provide ear plugs however Staff friendly

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
HamiltonCityOaks, Guest Relations Manager at VR Hamilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Dear Minstrel2013,

There is so much learning from your review and I will be sharing this with each member of our team, including the issue with the noise. We are finding a way to reduce the noise within the hotel including looking at double glazing on the windows. I do sincerely apologize that this hindered your experienced at our hotel.

Many thanks for being our mentor!

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Spacious rooms, old fashioned, with big high ceilings and a lovely sense of faded glory. Our room was quite grand, but the view was only of other (very close) buildings. The service was great - very friendly and helpful - and the location is perfect if you want to be in the eating/drinking part of Hamilton. Only (slight) complaint was that all around the back entrance of the hotel (where you park) is pretty disgusting, although most of the mess is not actually on the hotel property, and the second shower was cold.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
HamiltonCityOaks, Guest Relations Manager at VR Hamilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear valued guest,

There is so much learning from your review and I will be sharing this with each member of our team, both for the areas where we were commended for and the occasions where we had scope of improvement, such as the condition of our car park.