“Overpriced for what you get”
Review of VR Hamilton Hotel

VR Hamilton Hotel
Ranked #44 of 63 Hotels in Hamilton
New Plymouth, New Zealand
“Overpriced for what you get”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Got this hotel off Wotif. Hotel looked pretty good from the photos and the special of $140 inc parking and breakfast for two seemed fair. What a shocking disappointment. Hotel was very gaudy, tired, Pakistani-style decor and fittings. Quite depressing. Reception unattractive and uninviting. Lift carpet dirty. Empty cartons from furniture delivery sitting in the cold unappealing hallway. Rooms very large and uninviting, in fact, depressing. Very noisy people in next room who partied all night until 4:00am, kids n all in tow. Phoned and complained at 3:30am and they eventually stopped around 4ish. Parking a mission. The garage behind the building was down a tiny alleyway and other vehicles parked hard against the wall made it a very tight squeeze to get into the parking area. Very awkward and dodgy. Back entrance into the hotel, horrible! Breakfast was a joke. Sign to Restaurant went to a dead end and upon enquiring where was the restaurant we found out you had to turn into a little corridor to a door (much like a single wardrobe door) at the end of the passage that had a typed notice on it that said "Thai Style and Family Restaurant". When you went through the door you entered into a Western style bar and then through to a very cheap cafe style breakfast room. Seems it is the bar and cafe next door to the hotel. I'm assuming they contract out the breakfast to this place. Breakfast, very basic!
All in all, if I had paid $50 a night I would have expected what I got. But this is definitely not good value for the money paid. Would I go back. Never!

Room Tip: If you are young and on a budget then go for it. Rooms on the city side are noisy. Rooms are large...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marg888
HamiltonCityOaks, Guest Relations Manager at VR Hamilton Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear Valued guest,

Thank you for writing such constructive feedback.

I sincerely apologise that your experience with us was not as you expected. I will be passing all your points onto the appropriate departments. We are looking to do renovations very shortly, and this will make vast improvements in our hotel for guests comfort.

We would love for you to come back and stay with us next time you are in Hamilton so we can show you our improvements and ensure you have the best stay with us possible.

I thank you again for sharing this with me.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Korean first
UK
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I loved this hotel! It isn't smart or corporate but the rooms were massive! I did quick calculation and you could have got 12 single beds in our room and there were only two of us. It was comfortable and had a certain old fashioned charm. There was everything you would expect, free wifi, good quality toiletries, free parking and friendly helpful staff. The sense of faded (not too faded,) grandeur was charming and made such a change from corporate type hotels. It is right in the centre of the town and there are a dozen restaurants and bars within steps. A word of warning though if you are driving, some of the spaces are a bit tight! Choose wisely!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Valued guest,

Thank you for writing such positive feedback!

I am pleased to hear that you took advantage of our location, and our staff truly appreciate reading these positive comments as it helps with staff moral.

We hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.
Matamata
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

More than ripe for refurbishment this was once a lovely hotel but has become uncared for and run down in many small ways. Disappointing. Our friends room was super hot, ours freezing. An old bed propped up against the wall all night. Wobbly dangerous hand rail. Dirty grout and tiles. Scratched furniture. Squeaking chairs and table. And 4 unmatched completely different sized glasses in the suite, making a glass of wine together very droll. But great location and could be great again if someone cared.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank sharron w
Dear Valued guest,

Thank you so much for your feedback and please accept my sincere apologies that your experience was less than top notch. We are in the process of starting renovations very shortly, this will be including the heating system, furniture and all other amenities. There are going to be a lot of exciting changes, and we would love for you to come back and give us another chance to prove that this is not usual for our hotel and we can do so much better.

Thank you again for sharing this me, and I will be passing all your points to the appropriate departments.
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Our stay was below average.

I went in and requested a specific room over 6 months out, only to find when we arrived that it was no longer available. Even though I'd double checked earlier in the week that the room was still available.

We were advised when we booked that we could pay on check out, only to find when we got there that we had to pay on check in, resulting in my husband having to come into town to pay for us because I didn't have access to the card that we had agreed to pay on, and if we'd been allowed to pay on check out as per our arrangement then this wouldn't have been an issue. Even when I called earlier in the week it was not highlighted to me.

One of the bridesmaid's items of clothing was stolen. It was photographed with the bagging in the background and yet when she went to pick up her bagging it was no longer with the clothing. She went in to see if it had been given to lost and found and hadn't and no other option was given to her. This I find disgusting!

Our toilet backed up.

I requested extra plates and cups knowing that I would have additional guests the next day who would want a cup of tea, and then had to re-request these upon arrival.

There were not enough towels in the room for the four of us to have our own towel each.

However the girls on reception were lovely.

We will not ever stay here or recommend here again. I was so looking forward to our stay and it just did not live up to expectation.

Room Tip: There's no point in picking a good room cause you won't get it.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Hamilton hotels

New Plymouth, New Zealand
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stayed for a weekend and I was expecting it to be noisy being on the Main Street however we heard no street noise just the sound of the air con units and the neighbours having sex in the middle of the night, we were overlooking the back car park. The rooms are huge but I think we only had a queen bed when you could fit a couple of kings. The pillows were so hard I found it hard to sleep the first night eventually ditching it and sleeping on the bed cushion, the reception staff were very obliging and when we got back housekeeping had left a softer pillow. The room was clean and comfortable but man I'd love to do a refurb on it, you can tell walking through the hotel it was a grand old lady of days gone by, still it was good value and clean! Would stay again, reception staff very friendly and obliging.

Room Tip: Get a room at the back and you won't have any street noise
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
HamiltonCityOaks, Guest Relations Manager at VR Hamilton Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear valued guest,

Thank you so much or your feedback, we pride ourselves in offering a high level of service and we do apologize that your pillows were hard and the walls thin. We are trying very hard to organize refurbishments to improve all these issues addressed in your review.
We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and we hope to see you next time you are in Hamilton!

Thank you again for sharing this with me.
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Had trouble getting into the covered car park, the decor needs an urgent makeover, and the all night party which sounded like it was happening on the balcony was a nightmare. We had absolutely no sleep. Had to ask for a plug for the bath. Would not recommend this accommodation.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Bambiwhite
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I am disappointed to hear that your stay at our hotel was not up to your expectations. There are a number issues raised in your review that are a real concern to me, and I have passed all these onto higher management to ensure these problems do not arise again..

Please accept my sincere apologies , and I thank you again for sharing this with me.
Tauranga, New Zealand
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We had an enjoyable one-night stay & loved the old-world charm of this former "grand" hotel. The back entrance from the covered car park certainly was not inspiring but once inside it was comfortable & interesting.I was a bit perturbed to find no electric blanket on the bed but found the central heating made for a really cosy night.--until 3a.m. when awoken by the street noise.Spent some time looking out the window at the hundreds of young ones as they came from the bars & tried to secure taxis.Despite the very cold night the girls were scantily clad!We enjoyed a full breakfast next morning & found all the staff friendly & helpful.Altogether for the price we paid it was great value.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
HamiltonCityOaks, Guest Relations Manager at VR Hamilton Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Sandy S,

Thank you so much for your feedback. Any feedback we receive helps to make us better. There are a number of issues raised that will help us improve as a property. I have passed on your recommendations to the relevant department heads to address.

I am glad you enjoyed your overall stay and we hope to see you again in the future.

Thank you again for sharing this with us.