“Very friendly”

BK's Settlers Motor Lodge
Ranked #15 of 63 Hotels in Hamilton
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We came late at night, were exhausted from long driving hours and bad motel experience in Wellington (because of the Seven). The BK's Settlers Motor Lodge owners were very friendly and offered us an excellent and generous deal. We had a calm and comfortable night. Settings and close-by restaurants very good.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
bksettlers, Owner at BK's Settlers Motor Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Many thanks Catherine for taking the time to place feedback. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and welcome you back in the future. I have some exciting plans to further improve BK Settlers and hope to see you again.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

Comfortable but only two comfortable chairs in the sitting area and they could have done with a clean. We were a family group of four. It would gave been nice to have sofa to sit at before going out for a meal.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Hi. Thank you for your feedback. I have taken on board your suggestions. Every unit has had the furniture steam cleaned and all the chairs are really nice and clean. I have bought some two seater settees for some units and would appreciate feedback as to what our customers think of them.

Reviewed 14 December 2013

The lodge was very cozy and clean. The owner's here are incredibly nice. I was backpacking through and she gave me a ride to the store and the bus station the next day. If I am ever in Hamilton again, I would stay there. Thanks!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for taking your time to place feedback. Of course we would like to see you at our Motel should you be in Hamilton again.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

We picked this motel as the exterior looked welcoming and well-kept. The lady on reception was helpful but once inside the motel, we found it only very average and would not recommend it. The bathroom was clean, but the place was let down by shabby and stained seating in a shade of dated pink, and which should be consigned to the rubbish heap. There was only one armchair, which was strange, as there was a double bed so the room was clearly for two people, but in any case, it was dirty so I did not fancy putting anything on it or using it.

Room Tip: The upstairs room we were shown had a proper shower unit, whilst the downstairs unit we saw only had...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Hi. Thanks for the feedback. The furniture has all been professionally steam cleaned and is back to the standard I wish to maintain. I have bought some two seater settees for the larger units and have had positive comments about them. I would love to have the chance to show you the changes should you be in Hamilton again.

Reviewed 13 September 2013

the smell in the room from prevous cooking and generally smelt of old socks. lounge furniture old dirty and tired. toilet set needs to be replaced as well as shower head. tv in bedroom too small.
Very disappointed in the standard of this motel, would not stay here again

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to place feedback. The furniture is now up to the standard I wish to maintain, having been professionally steam cleaned. I am sorry about the smells you encountered, I have made an extra effort to keep an eye on how my units are freshened up by my staff. I would be happy to show you through my Motel, I am sure you will see a big difference.

Reviewed 6 September 2013

We booked a one bedroom unit for a long stay (2-3 weeks) for business. All went well with booking, checking in, etc. until the 4th night when the lady owner barged into our unit while we were preparing dinner, and told us that we had to move into another unit the next morning as her husband had apparently double booked our unit! (We had agreed previously to move for one night due to a rugby match later on in the week),

When we questioned why we were not made aware of this much earlier, she claimed that she had been sick and her husband was incompetent at managing the bookings. We then asked how is this our problem, she shrugged it off again and repeated that her husband didn't know what was going on. (We had no idea who she was until this point, she could have easily been someone off the street. That was how poor her overall demeanour was!) - there was a lot of finger pointing and threating/intimidating behaviour from her during the whole discussion. Finally, to add insult to injury, before she left, she said she would be fine if we wanted to leave, as there is a lot of business for the weekend due to the rugby.

We decided to check out that evening and at check out, the husband told us that the room bookings were all sorted, and we actually didn't have to move after all! Again no apologies made and no explanation, just another example of the shoddy management and very poor customer service!

We have stayed in other BKs in NZ, and have always had good customer service. Unfortunately this one fell way short of the mark. STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Hi, I am sorry to hear of your poor experiences. The Motel is under new management now. I have invested in new booking systems and hope, that should you wish to visit my Motel, you would see big changes to the level of professionalism and overall service focus.

Reviewed 10 August 2013

We were disappointed at this motel as it didn't match up to other 4 star motels we stayed in whilst visiting nz. It was clean and tidy, but downstairs really small and the lazy boy chairs were grubby and one was burst. The beds were really comfy and staff friendly.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for taking time to place feedback. I agree about the state of the furniture and one of the first things I undertook was to get the furniture professionally steam cleaned. The Motel is now under new ownership and is back up to a good 4* standard with further exciting changes in the pipeline.