Microtel Backpackers Hamilton
US$100
US$98
Ibis Hamilton Tainui(Hamilton)(Great Value!)
US$86
US$87
Ashwood Manor(Hamilton)(Great Value!)
US$82
TripAdvisor
All reviewspak n savespent two nightscomfortable bedhosteltoilettvlaundry
Reviewed 4 July 2012

Being the first hostel 'Ive stayed in i was expecting the worst - but I was surprised. The room I stayed in was a twin with ensuite - although I only booked a twin. First I was greeted by a super friendly guy at the reception who was more than happy to show us around the hostel, once inside the room i was surprised at the creature comforts that i assumed a hostel would not have. The room was complete with T.V., a bar fridge and a comfortable bed. The bathroom was a little outdated but to be honest I couldn't care less. The shower was roomy, hot and had lots of pressure. The bed was one of the most comfortable I've ever slept in and had trouble getting out the next morning. When leaving the staff pointed us in the right direction and wished us a safe and enjoyable holiday, what more could you ask for. I would stay here again and again and definitely recommend it to anyone wanting a comfortable place to lay their head

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Carrie L
Reviewed 4 May 2012

we travel quite a bit and usually stay at hampton inns. being very tired and late at night, we came upon this hotel and decided to give it a try. it was outstanding to say the least. the room was like a new room. very nice. a full breakfast was awaiting us . the staff very friendly. we will be considering this chain again.
w & j sutherland

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 March 2012

We knew the rooms would be tiny having seen it online. The walls were freshly painted and the bedding was all fresh and finer than some other hostels. I shared a modern shower cubicle with strong, hot water flow with one other, similarly the toilet. The TV reception was clear. Extras such as shampoo, soap and fresh soft white towels and face washer were notable. The kitchen was pleasant with clean new utensils and crockery while the livingroom was modern and conducive to some small talk with fellow travellers. A great Nosh supermarket was opposite as well as Pak 'n Save and the walk to the city centre was ten minutes max. And the main street is packed with bars and cafes of good standard. If you really are claustrophobic a double room would be the go. High summer would need the outer door to be ajar and a heater for winter. The cleaning was of a high standard and I was comfortable there.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Jacquie D
Reviewed 18 December 2011

We stayed here for one night and did not use any of the facilities other than the bed and bathroom.
We had booked using hostelworld which listed the room as Double Bed Private - Ensuite. The lady at reception could not find our booking as they had not had any communications from Hostelworld in the last few days so we were instead put in to a double bedroom with shared bathroom. No discount offered
The room itself seemed clean enough but was very small - about the length of the bed and the width of the bed + 1 metre. Only plug socket was the one the tv was plugged into.
Not enough parking spaces so we had to park round the corner.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 December 2011

We stayed at the Micro Tel for two nights at the end of a trip through New Zealand. I'm writing because some of the reviews on this site seem extreme and completely opposite of what we experienced. It is located on a pretty busy street (you only hear the traffic if you stay in a room at the very front) with a small parking lot in back and some rather small rooms. However, it was clean, the staff was friendly, the facilities in general were in good shape, and we were lucky to get a free upgrade to a studio room with our own bathroom and small kitchen area (fridge, jug, toaster, microwave, free tea & coffee, air conditioner). I did see how small the other rooms were so I can see that travelers might be turned off by having barely any space beyond the bed. I can also see how some might find the kitchen area a bit cramped or untidy. The owner showed us where they are in the process of remodeling to make the kitchen a much larger area, but truly the current one is likely good enough for what you need. We were there when a large group of softball players were in-house for a local tournament, and the owner advised us that it might be a bit noisy and perhaps crowded in the kitchen. They were kids with some of their parents from Wellington, and they were great fun. The next night when adults and couples were staying was when it got a bit noisy but not unreasonably so. In reference to the comments about dirty conditions and unkind staff, I found the complete opposite to be true. I would recommend staying here if you are okay with a small space and being located in a busy location. It is adjacent to a Pak 'N Save grocery store, minutes from the main shopping/restaurant area and a short drive away from the spectacular gardens. For the price, off-street parking and a decent place to stay, I would definitely recommend Micro Tel Hamilton.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple