“Comfortable, clean and cozy”

Microtel Backpackers Hamilton
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I had a similar thought about the microscopic driveway when I first saw the YHA. Luckily during my stay there were at most 2 other cars in the car park plus my own car so that made getting in and out a whole lot easier. I was met by a kind lady, and even though I had paid for a basic 4 person shared bunk room, told me the top floor rooms had a heater and she would put me up there because it was quite cold at night. She showed me my room and it was great! Two private lockable bedrooms with double beds crammed into the tiny room plus a shared shower and toilet. There was someone staying in the room next to me but I never actually saw them so it was like having it all to myself! The kitchen facilities were excellent and clean and there were lots of up to date brochures for perusal. Would stay here again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 21 July 2014

On first sighting all I could think of was how on earth are people supposed to park in that tiny carpark or even get their cars through the narrow driveway! And then there is the 20 point turn to get your car out again and onto the busy highway right on a busy traffic lights intersection. The bunk rooms are very very basic but thankfully the heater and hot shower worked well and the beds were comfortable enough. You will need your own electric blanket as Hamilton is cold! Also take your own double adaptors. The shared kitchen facility was OK for backpackers but the TV room set up is strange with old bus seats making up the majority of the seating! On the whole I think that if you used What If or a motel voucher you could probably get better value for money from a motel than this place. There is actually a sign on one of the doors saying Private, Go Away - not very friendly for a backpackers!

Room Tip: See if you can get a bigger room as there will then be room for your luggage!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 February 2014

My husband and I had flown from Melbourne into Auckland, hired a car and driven to Hamilton to stay overnight before heading onto Rotorua the following day. Unfortunately our flight was delayed (and we'd overlooked the 'call ahead for outside reception hours access' on our booking notes) so when we FINALLY managed to locate this YHA (not at all obvious nor well signed), we were more than a bit frustrated that the reception was well and truly shut and there was no note or anything left for us to work out what to do.

We ended up calling YHA NZ customer service and the helpful lady we spoke with tried calling the 'after hours' number for this YHA ...but there was no response. Her only advice was to hang up and call her back in another five minutes. Talk about taking the wind out of your sails! Here we were having booked and paid for our night, only to be locked out on the street (and not an overly pleasant area of town either it seemed) - and it was only 10pm.

Luckily (and I cannot stress the luck part enough) for us, the owner lady had heard us on the phone and came down in her dressing gown and slippers to let us in just before we got off the phone to customer service. I have no idea what we would have done if she hadn't and, which I think is pretty damn crap, she told us that she 'turns off the after hours phone' ...?! Why be in the business if you can't make alternative arrangements for people who are meant to be showing (she said she saw us in the system) or at the very least, have the phone ON?

Anyway, our room was fine - small but had a half size fridge, toaster (no kettle) and good sized ensuite with (a decent) shower over bath, toilet and basin. We even had a decent-sized flat screen tv ...but no wifi even as a YHA member (apparently this has just changed and, for the most part, is unusual for a YHA). We were also supplied with real towels and face washers (a lovely change from having to use microfibre travel towels) and soaps.

We didn't use the shared facilities other than look at them but whilst they seemed to have everything you'd need, they were very cramped.

Would I stay here again? Perhaps - depends on our circumstances. It's great if you're just stopping over (and can get in) but other YHAs leave this one for dead.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 March 2013 via mobile

Arrived here feb 2013 for 1night. The reception staff didnt have a clue one was german and didnt understand a lot of english and the other looked stoned and was unhelpful. No free wifi. The rooms wernt cleaned properly we had someones bedding from the night before, and there is nothing to do in hamilton seriously NOTHING! But there was a supermarket over the road which is handy

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 25 March 2013

The guy working at the desk was pretty bad. It seemed like he really didn't like the fact that we were there and needed to check in and had questions. I guess maybe we were bothering him while he was busy on his cell phone? This was our 3rd YHA and definitely the least friendly staff we encountered. The rooms were tiny-as it was a microtel and not particularly clean and very shabby. I definitely would not recommend staying here!!!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 March 2013

I am so angry, upset and disappointed we stayed at this nightmare backpackers as it has completely ruined our holiday to NZ. We have stayed at a number of backpackers on our holiday so we are not a stranger to them and they have proven to be little gems until THIS one. We paid approx $130 for 2 nights for a double room with ensuite. We have had not ONE but TWO sleepless nights and early mornings. The noise has no switch off as the night progresses 1am 2am half hour sleep 3am etc and then 7am it starts up again. it is just constant talking, laughing, arguing, yelling as if you are in the same room as them. It has been devastating to our break away. We completely understand the nature of youth backpackers as we experience them all the time but to pay for not being able to sleep which is everyone's given right. Most other places we have stayed has had a noise curfew and so everyone should have that same respect and accountability. When you didn't think things could get any worse it did !!! 7.30am lying in bed in the comfort of OUR paid room we have another backpacker unlock our door and walk on in on us in full view half clothed in bed. The poor bugger must of got a big fright and quickly closed the door. So someone else has a key to our room with our possessions ???? All our valuables locked up safe (we thought) and some random has a key to our room. It left my partner and I humiliated to say the least for the experience. On arrival the sheets were still wet on the bed, plates had dried food on them and needed re cleaning before use the fridge still had the person befores food in it. Just outside the door stinks of cigerette smoke as we were placed obviously right next to the smokers domain. You can't get any air circulation in the rooms at all and if you leave the door open we then lose all privacy. I then tried calling the office after our stranger encounter this morning but to no avail. I hope to god no one suffers this type of stay ever !!! Really really upset that this could even happen.

• Stayed: March 2013
3  Thank Michelle A
Reviewed 15 February 2013

My husband and I stayed two nights here and it was okay. We had a double ensuite room on the top floor of the hostel. It was quiet at night and the linen and towels were very clean and of a good standard, but it was quite cramped. We probably found it worse than others as we are both six feet tall.

The toilet was one side of the room and the shower the other - with the sink in the bedroom. This is quite an odd arrangement, but it was fine, although there was barely any room in the toilet. The bed was on the uncomfortable side as it was too spongy.

The communal areas were very clean and the kitchen well equipped, but it wouldn't be big enough if there were lots of people staying at the hostel - it didn't seem very busy when we were there.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple