“Didn't stay - no service”

Park View Motor Lodge
Ranked #12 of 62 Hotels in Hamilton
Coromandel, New Zealand
“Didn't stay - no service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2011

Did not actually get to stay here. I rang the motel as we were visting someone in the hospital, I realise it is V8 week, but my freind didn't have the privileage of getting sick at another time, but the girl was so rude who answered the phone, she basically laughed in my ear that of course we don't have anything, and there won't be anything in town.
Well I found something, I am very happy here.
I don't think this is 5* service when I come back to Hamilton I won't stay there. I will stay at a 4* with service

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank purpleribbon
, Owner at Park View Motor Lodge, responded to this review, 10 June 2011
My sincere apologies that you felt that we didn’t provide a 5 star service on the telephone. No excuses, if we were lacking, I apologise. We do try and provide a high level of service and friendliness at all times.

Also apologies with regards to being unable to accommodate you. We sell out for the V8's weekend a year in advance. Also as we are within the secure area of the track, if you weren’t coming for the V8's, you would have been inconvenienced due to the event, it is quite crowded and a little noisy.

We do hope that if you are coming back to Hamilton you will give us another chance. Also we wish your friend well.

Best regards,
Greg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2011

My husband & I recently stay at this motel and loved every minute of it, the hospitality was excellent and the room was everything you would want.

We went to Hamilton for the rugby so location to the ground was perfect right accross the road was the stadium.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2010

Again, like some others I am unsure why this is No1 in Hamilton.
Location wise on a positive it would be excellent if you were in town to watch a rugby match, and overall, could not really fault the decor. On the negative side our flight was late into Hamilton on a Monday night (got in about 8.45pm), with a last minute decision made by the office that day to head up to Hamilton. Myself and my colleague were famished so went and had dinner. We arrived at about 9.45pm at the hotel, and we were aware that we were late, and were ready to be very apologetic, however when we buzzed through to reception, we were met with a very rude woman who sighed a lot and told us that all check in was completed at 9.00pm (which we would not have made anyway even if we had not had dinner) - she said someone would get dressed and be down in a minute - not even 30seconds later a fully dressed, and rather awake looking man turned up, and checked us in. When I inquired about breakfast, I was told orders had already been taken (again I felt the insinuation was that we had missed the cut off time because of our own tardiness - but on check up later on, the breakfast orders were closed well before our plane had even landed at the airport), he asked us if we would like a paper in the morning, to which my colleague said yes, we were then informed that there would be a copy at reception if we wanted one in the morning (then noted the next morning everyone else had one outside their door) - no idea why he asked really if he was not going to have it delivered?
The wireless internet that was apparently available was impossible to find any strength to the signal, and when you could, it would not accept the password that had been left printed by the phone, so was unable to check any work emails etc.
There was a lot of road noise, so I can only imagine that there would be very little sleep for anyone had there been a game on.
The following morning we had to check out early (had to go find breakfast before our meeting started at 8.30) and when I dropped the keys off to reception the woman politely inquired if I had enjoyed our stay, I said it was fine, then she entered our key room numbers into the system, and I can only imagine saw who it was, as her entire demeanor changed, and she seemed to get very grumpy with more heavy sighing and thumping of keys onto the bench.
The ironic thing is, that with the world cup coming up, they will only be charging more, and inevitably, if they could not handle the intrusion of a couple of people turning up late for business, then heaven help any person who is wanting to stay for leisure and being treated pleasantly. If this is what you are looking for, you will not find this here.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank the_kiwiroamer
, Owner at Park View Motor Lodge, responded to this review, 5 December 2010
Thank you for your feedback. The management and owners of the Park View Motor Lodge take all feedback very seriously. We have noted your comments and apologize that we fell short of your expectations of our service standards on this occasion.

We have already implemented procedures to enable us to avoid the situation in the future in regards to late arrivals (including the ordering of breakfast and newspapers).

Again I apologize for the treatment that you received and can ensure you that the matter has been dealt with, as well as these procedures in place to help eliminate this situation occurring again.

We do hope that we are able to accommodate you in the future.

Tim & Shelly
Managers

Greg Young
Owner
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2010

For a 5 star motor lodge I must say I was a little bit disappointed. The bed was excessively firm and the pillows uncomfortable. The building is directly opposite Waikato stadium which isn't the greatest view and something I should have paid much closer attention to when I looked at it's location. Thankfully for us there were no rugby matches on when we were there, but I would strongly suggest checking that before you book in case you're not a rugby fan and would prefer a good night sleep otherwise I could imagine noise/access could be a real pain. The room itself was an adequate size and overall I would say nothing flash. The buidling itself could do with a little TLC with a number of cracks on the exterior plaster work and stains on the mats that made the place look a little tatty.

The bathroom was a reasonable size and had a decent sized spa bath which was a nice touch. If only the rest of the room was done to the same level. The room had an LCD TV and a seperate stereo, both were modern and reception was excellent.

Front desk service was rather sterile and while efficient I didn't feel welcomed.

My rating has been done on the basis of this being a motor lodge.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Maidstone, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2010

On the positive side the reception was fine, it was quiet and rooms clean. The accommodation we found functional but depressing with a pokey poorly lit kitchen area and decor that may have looked good in the 70's. We had a depressing outlook over the parking lot. The Motel was not near anything of interest and was opposite a rugby stadium, at least no rugby was played during our stay.

How this rates as No1 in trip advisor I do not know. Probably fine for those on business but a real disappointment for us on our 40th Wedding Anniversary trip - pleased to leave after one night.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dave_jacqueline
Whangarei, NZ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2010

stayed in a 2 bedroom unit for one night. Fairly small proportions, but nice and modern and clean. Indoor heated pool was great - didn't use the spa pool at the time as it was colder than the pool. Kitchen area small, stovetop, microwave and fridge, but no oven. Bathroom had a spa bath, but we didn't get to use it. Pak n Save supermarket just around the corner. Would recommend. Would be great place to stay if attending a rugby game at Waikato stadium, is right opposite the gate.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2010

This was our first night in NZ and were pleasantly surprised with the value for our dollar (compared to Australia) Arrived in pooring rain, but was warmly welcomed by the owners. We appreciated the small touches, especially the QUALITY tea, coffee, etc (not the run of mill labels) Beautiful beds, great TV etc. Considering the budget cost for our room we were impressed that there was a HEATED pool and spa. Lots of children around so it is popular with families. Lovely towels, soaps, etc. Very thoughtfully furnished for such a reasonably priced room. The room of course was spotless.
We congratulate the owners on providing a high quality room for such a low rate.
Ate at the Hamilton Casino which once again was amazing value for money.
If however one cannot cope with stairs make sure you ask for a ground floor room.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family