“great local pub”

The Duke of Gloucester
Ranked #133 of 197 Restaurants in Napier
Cuisines: Bar, Pub, New Zealand
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Maungaturoto, New Zealand
“great local pub”
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

friendly staff. great food st good prices. lots of space to relax and be with the people are there with. bar staff keep the empty glasses moving and took empty plates away quickly. all in all a good night

Whanganui, New Zealand
“Pub grub”
Reviewed 17 May 2014

This is a friendly, 'local' pub for Taradale people. There seemed to be a lot of tradesmen after work enjoying a bevvy or two, which is fair enough and it didn't matter one iota. I was taken there for drinks - and then dinner.
The menu was a full one, the staff were very helpful and friendly and the meal itself was ordered and then delivered very speedily for a Friday night when they were busy. We sat in the bar area as the restaurant area was full, this wasn't a problem as we lingered and had a drink after our meal was cleared too.
The food was 'pub fare' but was cooked to our requirements (I had the steak) There wasn't anything I could fault.

• Visited April 2014
Napier, New Zealand
“Good once”
Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

Took the family here. On a previous visit service and food was pretty good. This time really poor. Service was terrible, almost like we owed the staff a favour. Food was like a pub meeting drinking law compliance. Just deep fried muck. My wife sent her steak back as it was well underdone, we were told its tough to get it right...um, hire a professional perhaps!? We will not return.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Rick M
NZ
“Last reviewer got it spot on”
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Grandma shouted the family for Christmas lunch and made the arrangements: Special dietary requirements promised. Menu choices for the buffet promised. Time of service promised. Didn't happen as 'promised' though. 7 out of 17 menu items were unavailable! Queries on the day were treated with disdain. Calls afterward were not returned. Concerns remained and as the last review points out, this was an expensive meal, in our case $1000+. All family members surveyed agreed it was a poor showing by an otherwise respected local business.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank r s
Cambridge, New Zealand
“Not what we expected in price or food.”
Reviewed 26 December 2013

We booked our Christmas meal at the Duke as we were staying in Napier. the website listed a $55 option and a $95 option, I phoned and booked the $55 option....strangely there were two websites, one of which went down a week before Christmas. I was telephoned four times in the two weeks leading up to Christmas, each time to confirm I was coming, this did not seem very organised. On getting there, our table was reserved, though it was a very small table for two, in a thoroughfare of people lining up for the buffet. I elected to pay for the meal and two drinks up front, where it became obvious there was only one option, the $95 option, so our bill, with a drink was $207, far more than I would expect to pay for what was in fact, a buffet. I did not challenge or argue about this as I did not want to spoil my wife's Christmas dinner, and where else would we get our dinner then? The seafood section of the buffet was excellent in fairness, yet the 'roast' section was decidedly average with a poor choice of veg and a decent ham. The place was packed out and people were stuffing their plates high, which is, I guess how one would get their money's worth. As a Christmas dining experience it was depressing and poor value; as a business they ripped me off....I paid twice what I expected for food that was decidedly average in a cattle market atmosphere. For that sort of money I could have had cordon bleu experience at Mission Winery, and had I have known what to expect, I should have.

• Visited December 2013