“Lovely setting, shame about the noise”

Anchorage Motor Lodge
Ranked #32 of 47 Hotels in Napier
Reviewed 7 November 2013

We stayed at the Anchorage lodge for Labour weekend, booking a top floor studio spa unit.

Greats: The room was a good size, well equipped with a comfortable bed. I enjoyed the spa bath, though we only used it once (maybe we would more in winter). Dishes which I'd planned on doing when we got back in were done when the room was serviced. We had a wonderful weekend in and around Napier, and did enjoy time spent at the motel.

Not so greats: Decor a little dated. We arrived about 10pm on a friday night, and the bar across the road was in full swing, with a live band. We could hear everything. We may as well have been in the bar. Til well after midnight. We had no idea that the motel was in an area where this was likely to be a problem. (We could also hear the TV next door - not ideal, because you worry about how you'll disturb the neighbours as well as them disturbing you. I feel like decent sound proofing is quite important in a motel!) When we went to check in properly the next morning, we mentioned the noise of the bar to the lady on the desk - she wasn't concerned that our sleep had been disturbed, and talked as if it happened often... So maybe sound proofing would be good? Or mentioning that noise may be an issue friday nights? Just didn't feel like she cared at all, which I'd expect her to when we paid decent money to stay. Fortunately the noise was better saturday. At the same time I mentioned that we were planning on brunch along Marine Parade, on the water front, and did she have any recommendations. We were told that there weren't any cafes along Marine Parade, we should go Ahuriri village, and no she had no suggestions because she makes breakfast for other people - she doesn't go out for it. I'd expect businesses to have an idea of local businesses around them, and was also very disappointed to see when we got into town that there were cafes all over the place!! Again, it seemed like she didn't care.

Room Tip: I don't know how you would get away from the noise of the bar across the road if it's busy...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EHMcQ
There are newer reviews for Anchorage Motor Lodge

Reviewed 20 October 2013

I have been wanting to stay here for a long time and finally had this opportunity. Unfortunately, it was a little more expensive than I wanted to spend by that was because I was visiting during peak times and booked only a week in advance. Location-wise I was very happy. The facilities were good, the room was very clean (a little TOO clean... it smelled very strongly of cleaning products when we went in - needed to air the room out for several hours). I was impressed with the bathroom and REALLY looking forward to the big spa bath but couldn't find the plug!!! Annoyingly, I found the plug AFTER I had finished my shower and was about to leave. NEGATIVE... booking in, the hotelier had no record of my payment, I had to insist that I had paid when I booked and she said she would check it out... I find this embarrassing. Check out, though, was much more pleasant and straight-forward. Beds were comfortable and warm. As for as the consumables go, a bit disappointing that there were only two biscuits when there were THREE people booked in... likewise with the shampoo/bath gel etc. Other than that, I was pleased with our stay here and I would go back again, especially if I could secure a better room rate. Fantastic neighbourhood with beautiful views and right next to some of the best cafés and restarants in Napier.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Jacqui-in-Paris
Reviewed 28 April 2013

We booked a studio spa unit on the top floor using booking.com. We didn't arrive till late evening and it was good to see that the manager had left a message on my phone to advise of the reception closing time. We grabbed the key, dropped the milk in the fridge and did not come back until late. The lift was a bonus, the room was extremely spacious, the bed was comfortable, the spa bath was awesome, the heater was fast and the tv was great. What more could we ask for.... Well...our room was on the first floor and there were lots of footsteps and voices that could be heard in the morning. The tissue box holder in the bathroom was empty and instead there was one small packet of tissues that one puts in their purse - hardly adequate for that runny nose in the morning. The bathroom rubbish bin had a non functional lid. The office staff were efficient with minimal chit chat - this could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your preference. The main disappointment was when we got home and checked our booking and found that we had booked a top floor unit but were only given a first floor unit! Disappointing!!! We would consider staying again but do insist on the top floor for minimal noise and make sure that top floor means top floor, not first floor!

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Geoff W
Reviewed 2 April 2013

Just spent three nights here... Room very spacious, clean and great housekeeping. Hotel manager was a doll, very obliging as our club took over the whole place! Our room was quiet despite closeness to road. Great location to good restaurants and bars

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 April 2013

We have stayed here on a previous occasion and will be back. The motel room was large, clean and comfortable and the staff were friendly and very helpful. The continental breakfast served in the room was good value for money and delivered at the time we stated. My husband was there for business and this motel is situated well for an accompanying spouse or partner. There is a busstop just outside the motel and a range of excellent restaurants in the same area.

Room Tip: Rooms at the ends of the corridors have the most privacy, with nobody walking past you.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 March 2013

We stayed for 3 nights on a third floor unit, The motel staff were very friendly and helpful with their suggestions and gave us free milk on arrival. The room was large and clean and had a kitchenette; however there was no hot plate or cook top. The guest laundry was $2 for the dryer and the washer was free. There was plenty of parking and the place was only minutes from the downtown and within walking distance of some great eateries. Two drawbacks; the bed was very low, by our standards, and very soft and springy; also there is a rail track and highway to the port at the rear. If you're a light sleeper you might want to consider earplugs, although it may be quieter on the lower floors.

Room Tip: Lower floor units may be quieter because of the property line wall.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 March 2013

We stayed for a couple of days at this hotel. The room was vey comfortable and spacious.
We arrived in the midst of art deco week in Napier. The people dressed in the 1930's style, drove 1930's vintage cars, vintage motorbikes and bicycles. It was fascinating and enjoyable to see, most interesting almost like being transported relativistically back in time! We went for long walks on the beach and have also enjoyed our swims in warm Pacific ocean.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple