“No Room at the Inn: Worst experience ever”
Review of Lisa Rose Motel

Lisa Rose Motel
Ranked #38 of 47 Hotels in Napier
Reviewed 21 December 2013

No Room at the Inn: Worst experience ever

Knowing that peak holiday season (early January) is busy and that booking a large family of 6 is difficult, we made our booking for the family unit at Lisa Rose through the AA website 3 months in advance. In fact, we prepaid for 3 nights in full and received an email confirmation from the AA on 8 October. The money was debited from my credit card.

Incredibly, 2 weeks before we were due to arrive my daughter received a phone call asking would be accept a 2-bedroom unit with two double beds? I rang back to explain no that was not acceptable: our party consists of my wife, myself plus our 4 adult children ages 16 to 25. We had booked the Lisa Rose specifically because of their family unit with one king bed, 3 singles and a pullout sofa. It turns out they had double booked us.

The motel owner said well, we could have a full refund. I explained that was not acceptable. We had booked first. We had paid in full. We had a confirmation from the AA received over two months earlier! It was peak holiday season. It was up to her to sort out the matter. The owner tried to shift the blame to the AA. I imagined that there was a problem with the computer system. The owner said she would call the AA the next day to sort things out.

The following afternoon with no explanation I received an email from AA Travel, saying that our booking had been been cancelled and we were being given a full refund. I was furious and called the AA; I did not want a refund, I wanted accommodation which we had paid 3 months in advance, and that according to the owner it was their fault. The AA explained that physically it could not be their fault, since the motel owners entered the dates available in the computer system. The AA themselves do not control the bookings. The owners would have been notified of our booking on 8 October when we put it in the AA computer system. The owners had made a mistake.

I find it incredible to be treated in this manner. Surely we had the prior booking, and if we did not have the prior booking why did it take over two months for them to notify us of this? We were left stranded, with no accommodation in Napier in the first week of January, in the middle of peak holiday season! Moreoever, we are coming from Christchurch - we have nonrefundable ferry tickets. My wife rang the motel owner who promised to "sort something out". We waited 24 hours and hearing nothing, we contacted my sister - who happens to work for the Tourist Information (Isite) in Napier. There was indeed nothing to be had in Napier; she found us something in Hastings, which was less than ideal.

Our treatment by the motel owners is staggeringly callous. They made a mistake. Instead of admitting that they made a mistake, the owner tried to shift the blame by lying. She said they would help but made no effort to and just left us in the lurch with no accommodation just two weeks before we are due to arrive...

Merry Christmas.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank David W
lisarose01, Owner at Lisa Rose Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Lisa Rose had not double booked you, as was explained to you over 2 weeks prior to your arrival date. I tried my best to offer you an alternative but was not accepted.

We pay both an on-line channel manager (Seekom) and the AA Tourism to advertise and sell our rooms, which then loads directly onto our computer system.

I spent a considerable amount of time speaking with the technicians at both companies to sort the issue, whilst receiving abusive emails and phone calls from yourself and wife.

Thank you for your time spent on reviewing a place you have never been and I wish the alternative accommodation providers all the best during your stay.

Happy New Year

There are newer reviews for Lisa Rose Motel

Reviewed 15 December 2013

My family and I stayed here for my nanas birthday. Two units were booked for 1 night. All I can say is thankgod it was only 1 night. When we went to settle the bill, we bought to the guy attention that the shower was dirty. He flipped. "We pride ourselves on the cleanliness blah blah blah" he didn't want to know. Went on to not only abuse my mother, but then me when I said that the ashtray was full and we had no rubbish bin. He called me "gutless" cause I mentioned that I would be writing a review about my stay here. All I can say people is look elsewhere if you want to enjoy ur holiday!!! It's the owner/manager who let the place down

• Stayed: December 2013
4  Thank Becksshan
lisarose01, Owner at Lisa Rose Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2013

first off i would like to apologise if i offended you unfortunately i had just arrived back from auckland from my elder brothers funeral and probably should not have been dealing with the public the way i was feeling i have looked at showers that were a concern to you and am now in the process of scrapping back all the sealant that has discoloured and resealing with white sealer which hopefully wont discolour however i feel you were quite unkind as you know i pointed out to you the unit had new lino carpet newly painted and wallpapered with new 42 inch flat screen i am more than happy we provide very clean and comfortable accommodation and ask people judge for themselves unfortunately i have to agree with you i did let my self and the motel down with my reaction to your and your mothers comments on check out

Reviewed 28 November 2013

A great value for money motel, with all the comforts of a home. Very friendly hosts, who go out of their way to make your stay as welcoming and comfortable as possible. Clean, spacious and well presented rooms with kitchen facilities. Pool, spa, sauna and play area to keep the family entertained. When you stay in Napier, make sure you stay here. Do not go anywhere else.

• Stayed: September 2013

than you for your comments

Reviewed 15 November 2013

Our stay was a great experience for the whole time we were there. We found the proprietors Kevin and Lynette to be very accommodating, understanding and great hosts. All the rooms we used were refurbished with a contemporary look all with excellent kitchen facilities. The rooms were very clean and fresh which is a must for me. The rooms we used had there own private courtyards all with outdoor seating giving us extra living space. The family/kids enjoyed the free WIFI so they could stay connected 24/7. We had family and friends come and go while visiting us in the bay, some times extra rooms/accommodation was required at short notice. We could see the whole Motel and its Facilities were well maintained, groomed and very clean. I liked the dark rooms in the morning allowing those who wished to sleep in. Great beds with great sleep. "I'll be back".

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 2 September 2013

My two kids and I came from Perth last week to visit family and chose to stay at the Lisa Rose Motel, Upon our arrival we were greeted very kindly by Lynnette and shown to our room, The room was great and very clean in every aspect and I am a picky person. The complex had a pool, spa and games room to keep the kids entertained while i caught up with my sister over a glass of champagne.Overall I recommend this motel to anyone who travels to Napier A+++++

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 August 2013

We booked into our unit in the late afternoon to drop our bags off & went straight out. On returning to the unit after 9pm we went to sort our sleeping arrangements out. When we turned back the bedding on the first bed we were horrified and disgusted to see that it had a large number of human pubic and other hairs on it. The sheets had obviously not been changed. The master bed had a large number of dead ants on the cover, also with a small amount of hairs on it, and a blue fluffy cushion on the bed had vomit or food smeared all over a part of it. Then we tried to contact the motel owner to sort this situation out, only to discover the office was shut, and when we tried to phone the owner, it merely went to answerphone. So with no way to contact him we had to make the best of a very uncomfortable situation. The power socket that the electric blanket was plugged into was not even attached to the wall, and was protruding with exposed wiring by some inches. As if all that were not enough, the toilet was not properly attached to the floor and moved when you sat on it. A knife had smear- able something still on the blade from a previous user.

So we determined that we would check out first thing in the morning rather than stay there the two nights we had booked for. We went to check out and approached the manager with our concerns. Immediately this man went on the defensive and started verbally attacking us. He refused to listen to any of our concerns and in fact dismissed them out of hand. Despite the fact that we took photos of every thing to show him. He would not listen to a word we were trying to tell him and basically accused us of trying to get out of paying for our night there. He told us that he had 'dealt with customers like us before'. When approached about payment or some sort of discount for the conditions experienced he flat out refused and he said he had already taken the full amount of money off the card for both nights and would not refund it. We reminded him of the consumers guarantee act and he stated that it did not apply because of the fine print on the check in card, which is actually incorrect.

His manner was confrontational, abusive, patronising, belittling and not at all conducive to a common, decent business conversation. Then he followed us out to the car, continuing the abusive behaviour and mannerisms, pretty much right in my sisters face attempting to intimidate. He literally bent his body into the front window of the car as we were getting in.

When my sister and I had left his premises, we were both extremely shaken and teary. He made us both feel belittled, patronised, and verbally abused. We pulled up a few hundred yards down Kennedy road shaking and crying. I have never in all of my adult years felt so distressed over a business arrangement and we will be laying a formal complaint with the hotel association here in New Zealand and with the health department.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank iamuna
lisarose01, Owner at Lisa Rose Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

This review is a total fabrication of the truth.
It brings to mind the old ruse 'waiter there is a fly in my soup I will not be paying'

Instead of making up reasons not to stay the second night because of altered travel plans, we would have happily waived the late cancellation fee if they were honest and pleasant..

Our sheets are laundered by a reputable company here in Napier and are to a high standard, we do not have them delivered with 'large numbers of pubic hair' on them, and in saying that, who would sleep in them under any circumstance if that were the case?

The bed cushion did not have 'vomit' on it and no ants were found on top of the bed, why would there be?

We have never had an answer phone, that is another un-truth

The box power point behind the King bed was installed last year, we were annoyed to find that the bed had been pushed back so hard it had come away from the wall and will be looking to charge for damages.

I am not sure where the tears come into this as the string of obscenities coming from these 'ladies' in the car park in full view of other guests was astonishing, there is certainly nothing fragile about them.

I look forward to any contact from the Hotel association and/or Health department.
This is a story about money, not pubic hair.

Reviewed 2 June 2013

Stayed at Lisa Rose for one night with another family couple. I was disappointed in our unit (which was a Portacom) due to having to walk from the single bedroom through the queen bedroom to get to the bathroom/toilet, kitchen/lounge area. The room configuration was fine for one night but would not suit a longer stay if privacy in the bedrooms at night was required. The roll away bed in the single room was a little uncomfortable. The unit heated quickly which was nice. Apart from that pleasant enough.

Room Tip: Find out about the room configuration first
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family