“Backpackers accommodation in a landmark building.”

Criterion Art Deco Backpackers
Peresvet
“Backpackers accommodation in a landmark building.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2012

Criterion backpackers guesthouse is located in the most photographed building of Napier town, as was stated in their advertisement. I can confirm it. The building is really remarkable and ideally situated on the central street, close to the ocean beach. Rooms were mostly small with shared facilities. Ours had a washbasin. On my opinion they need some refurbishment. Kitchen and dining room are spacious and still keep an interior design of 30-ties years of the 20th century. Hotel provides light self-service breakfast for their guests in the morning and in other time guests are free to use kitchen facilities for their own needs. In the same building downstairs is located a cafe-bar, owned I suppose by the same proprietor. Guests, seems, are supposed to come with their own towels, but when we`ve asked for for ourselves, we were provided by. I was satisfied by chosen accommodation in Napier and can recommend it to for backpackers, as well as for budget travelers wishing to stay in a centrally located inexpensive guesthouse.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Aleksandr550

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Altadena, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2012

My main issue with this hostel was the lack of parking. Apparently they had free parking but it was full so was had to park about 1/2 mile away. The room was small, nothing great. Shared bathrooms were fine, clean enough. The free breakfast was toast and canned fruit. We went downstairs to a coffee shop instead.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Wesseling, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2012

I stayed at the Criterion Art Deco Backpackers with a friend last week and I was really surprised. That was the first hostel I've been to who offers a free breakfast and limited free wireless. Also it offers free local calls for their guests.
The rooms were nice and tidy. Also the bathrooms including the showers were clean.
The hostel is located close to the beach and directly in the main street with a lot of shopping opportunites, so it has a great location :)
The only thing that was not good, that they had no parking places available. We had to get up every morning at 7:30 to put money in the coin meter.
But anyway we extended our stay for another night.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kathrin S
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2011

We stayed in a double room and really enjoyed the place. The hostel is located right in the city center, on one of the main streets. This means being very central, in the middle of the beautiful artdeco architecture but also in the middle of the late night noise. This is probably the only thing we didn't appreciate about the place.
The communal space is great - after all it's art deco, high ceilings, big fireplace...The kitchen is big and very well equipped too (with free coffee), there's free breakfast (basic but a nice touch overall). Although the place is located on one of the streets where you're not allowed to park, they do provide parking in a nearby private car park for free. We were pleasantly surprised by this...
All in all a very pleasant experience.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank agatabb
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2011

We had a great stay here, we had only booked 2 beds and then met someone else who decided to stay with us there were no more rooms available in the dorm we'd been booked in to so we were upgraded for free to a quad room. Very friendly staff and rooms were clean with the added bonus of a sink in each room.
The free Breakfast was basic but perfectly adequate, fantastic location as well the most central Hostel we found.
Only downside to this Hostel was the free Wifi didnt work and was impossibly slow but hardly even a complaint worth making.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2011

The whole interesting fact about Napier is that it is an Art Deco town. Of course it's cool to stay in an Art Deco hostel as well, but the place felt kind of weird, maybe because it was kind of empty in winter time, but there was a strange vibe in the place, which did not feel pleasant. The owner was moody. The location is excellent though and I had a good night's sleep, so I would say it is a good stay, since I cannot explain the weird feeling I got from the place.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
Napier
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2011

Don't stay here. If you can afford to pay at least a bit more per night elsewhere, where you're going to get a decent level of service and a quality stay, and actually SLEEP, then I highly recommend you do so. While I admit it is not the hostel managements fault that a very loud pub is right across the street from many rooms with noisy patrons and loud music and speakerphones going until about 3am, then loud roadworks machines and street works starting up at about 6am, I felt completely cheated and disgusted that, after reading all the false reviews saying this place is lovely and they had a great night's sleep and were very comfortable, they took all my money off my credit card at the time of booking, then were completely unhelpful and actually WALKED AWAY when I asked if there was another single room on the other side of the hostel that was available and quieter. The hostel was at least half empty! The person I asked, twice because they just walked away from me the first time, was a young male backpacker working there with a bit of an 'I don't care too much' attitude. However, another older male traveller also working there was lovely to deal with when I asked for more bedding after my first night. The single bed was below average and rather uncomfortable. I'm not a tall person, but seriously only a dwarf could have room to move in there. The reading light is positioned so you whack the back of your head on it when you sit back.
Also bad luck for me and my timing were a few of the other travellers - young guys who snort, hock, spit, yell, swear and then stare and wolf whistle at any female who walks past. Really, really unpleasant! I was so angry about the situation and their bad response to my request that I find it hard to have anything positive to say. While it's certainly cheap, you get breakfast thrown in for free, can save further money by using the large kitchen to cook your meals, and the place is cleaned up every day, my stay at the Criterion has really brought home that expression "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR". And I sincerely don't mean that in a good way.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here, request a quiet room