We stayed here one night in a double room. If you like Art Deco and memorable hostels, this is a good one- it's beautiful. But the manager is not very friendly (a bit creepy to me when my husband wasn't with me, in fact), so that kind of dims the fun a bit.
- amazing Art Deco atmosphere in the Art Deco capital of the world
- free breakfast, a rarity in New Zealand
- free wi-fi, although it's SNAIL SLOW
- great in-town location
- sinks in the double rooms
- sort-of free parking (about 2 blocks away)
- unfriendly manager. He even told us "you can't stay an extra night, there's no room," when in fact HostelBookers.com showed a double vacancy. Not sure why we didn't measure up to his standards.
- unisex toilets//showers. Usually this isn't a problem, but they're next door to each other, making you ask WHY they aren't men's/women's. And more than 1 creepy guy hangs out while you shower.
- crappy wi-fi (though to be fair, all of NZ has this issue)
- no enforced quiet times- noisy backpackers yakked outside our room until 2am