“Awesome Art Deco building!”

Criterion Art Deco Backpackers
London, Canada
“Awesome Art Deco building!”
Reviewed 13 February 2013

Perfectly located, lots of shopping and the beach is a block away!
Great kitchen, huge lounge area. Room was tiny, but a great ensuite, also very clean!
Nice in house staff....Martin in particular!
Met some great people in the lounge area, and cooking in the evening was a blast!
Helpful staff for guiding you to tours etc. also mailing postcards which I had forgot along the way!
Weekends there is a farmers market just up the square, and the grocery store is very handy.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the back side, away from the ocean side! Bar noise loud!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 31 January 2013

I stayed in the Criterion with my boyfriend between Christmas and New Year and had a private double room. We don't mind slumming it a bit in backpackers, and the kitchen and common room area was fine. The common room has cool art deco furnishings and design, which you don't normally see! And I liked all the plants in the dining room - kind of like a rain forest.

However, I did not sleep a wink the night that we stayed as the sound insulation is non-existent. There was loud music playing in the common room all night, even though there was noone in there. My boyfriend went to turn it off late at night, but it promptly came back on again later by a phantom person. I understand that managers of hostels cannot be responsible for their guests' behavious, but I also did not appreciate having to listen to a drunk man throwing up ALL night in the bathroom next to our bedroom. Disgusting!!

The bathrooms and showers are also unisex, which I didn't really like.

The location is good, as you are right in the centre of town, but the backpackers is right on top of a night club, which didn't close until 3am, when all the punters spilled out onto the street screaming their heads off.

I would suggest, if you are after a party-hard place to stay and don't care about sleeping, this place would be fine. If you actually WANT to get some rest on your holiday, so stay well away!

We stayed in the Masonic Hotel round the corner on our second night for about $50 extra, and this was SOOOOOO much nicer!

Please get some sound insulation sorted out guys, or have SOME kind of warden who keeps the noise down of punters from midnight onwards.

Thanks!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Napier hotels

La Paz, Bolivia
Reviewed 30 August 2012

My husband and I had a queen ensuite that was a nice size and had a walk-in closet. Continental breakfast included, as is wi-fi. For those with a car, parking is free and a block away. Manager is very congenial and helpful. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms over the brasserie could get a bit noisy on the evenings it is open late.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Groningen, The Netherlands
Reviewed 5 August 2012

We stayed here for two nights and it was terrible!. The room was nothing like we expected and the whole place was in serious need of renovation. The managers were creepy, and sleeping on the couch in the common room. Really weird! The kitchen was dirty and the refrigerators really needed to be replaced. There was no atmosphere in this hostel. Worst place I´ve ever been!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2012

OK, so I think this hostel is in definite need of refurbishment, but I think calling the manager "creepy" is a step too far. I was travelling on my own, but found the Manager friendly and approachable at all times. He answered all my questions and was polite. I did not find him creepy at all. The free breakfast was also good (museli, cereal, fruit and toast). The kitchen was spacious and well equiped, although some of the chopping boards etc need replacing and updating. There were also no hairdryers as they have been stolen, which was a bit of a downside in winter. The hostel is in a good location and the lounge is spacious and a good place to meet people. The TV room is also separate, which I prefer, especially for reading. There was a nice atmosphere here, if a little laddish at times (but aren't all hostels like this?). My mattress was sagging in the middle and also needs replacing, but the showers were quite clean. Compared to the excellent standard of other hostels in NZ, this place has a lot to live up to, so I probably wouldn't recommend it to others. I booked it because of the Lonely Planet "our pick" recommendation, but have learnt that these quickly go out of date and wouldn't trust them again. There were no maps available at the hostel, but go to the nearby iSite, they are excellent.

Room Tip: Maybe go for a private room if you can afford it and really want to stop here. Two nights is probabl...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 26 June 2012

We arrived here at night - right from the time we pulled up in our car, we had a not so good feeling. I'm not sure if it was just the time when we were there, but the streets were pretty much barren except for some punk-looking people - it was unsettling. When went up the stairs and it took awhile to find the manager to check in. He was a little strange, as others have pointed out. I don't remember cleanliness being an issue, it was just a little creepy-feeling. Not very busy when we were there - only a few guests. We also ate in the bar downstairs and it was pretty much empty too. The outside is nice, but the inside is old - I kind of felt like I was in a haunted house, complete with creepy manager and cat (although we loved the cat - he was nice!)

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank trinitycherity
Espoo, Finland
Reviewed 5 June 2012

We stayed two nights with friends in this nice looking place. Location is great and central! Rooms were tidy and atmosphere good. Free breakfast in the morning was definately a great plus!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends