“Fantastic! A grand hostel”

Criterion Art Deco Backpackers
“Fantastic! A grand hostel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

I booked by phoning the day before and said I would be arriving late, I was told it would not be a problem and was given a phone number, I arrived and the door was still open, the manager was just leaving and directed me to another manager upstairs, she was extremely friendly and helpful!

The building is Spanish mission in style and is just beautiful, it's an 1930's grand hotel apparently, there was also "big band" and "swing" style music playing most nights which really went with the look of the place (not too loud though) there's also a long balcony you can sit on just outside the common room.

Later on the balcony I was chatting with the manager guy (the one who was leaving as I arrived) and he was explaining how much effort went into bringing the place up to scratch after the recent change in management.

This is not a party hostel that I have seen, it's nice, relaxed and gives a feeling of luxury (because of the style and vibe).

Room was fine, everything seemed clean, and breakfast was provided on a morning! Showers were good, and nice comfy leather sofas in the common room.

Definately would return to this hostel. P.s. Im a bit of an accommodation snob.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Andylscott

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

Yes, as everyone says, the manager was rude at 1st when I arrived there. Stayed there for a week for $120, which was a good deal as healthy breakfast was provided together with the room package. Huge kitchen, well-equipped with cooking utensils. Backpackers would love this place because most backpackers adapt well. All we need as backpackers, is a good place to sleep, and a place to cook to fill our stomach. I got it here. Putting the rude manager and some racist backpackers aside, everything else was good. I even made good friends there, from Irish, Spain and Germany. Cooked with a bunch of backpackers few times, it was fun! Most of them are friendly. Great art deco concept from the entrance. They have pool table and also internet access.Strategically located as well - malls are walking distance, beach just across the street, good bars around. For those on vacations, this is not a place for you. Solo travelers / backpackers will definitely love this place.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Ragu1511
Cape Town Central, South Africa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

When we arrive here there was no one around. A girl cleaning showed us our room. A double bed and a sink. The bed looked Un-inviting, the carpet looked as if it hadn't been hovered in quite a while and there were the previous persons rubbish (including flight details) still in the bin. The hostel itself could be lovely it was dirty and dis organised. The kitchen looks like it needed sterilizing.. we were suppose to stay 2 night but 1 night was all I could take. We met the manager later. Actually when I say we met the manager, he introduce himself to my husband and completely ignored me standing next to him.. rude or what. In the evening there was no one what so ever taking charge and there was a group of people very loud until 3am when my husband had to ask them to shut up. There was no one on site. I couldn't wait to get out of there.

Room Tip: Would suggest you look at a room before taking it. And don't have one opposite the toilets.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Darren W

Travellers are raving about these Napier hotels

Gisborne, Gisborne, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

Under new management. Being upgraded. Very friendly. Comfortable bed, room a little crowded with two beds. Good ensuite. Excellent common living area and good breakfast. Excellent location for bus travellers.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Shirley B
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2013

When we saw the beautiful Art Deco exterior, climbed the lovely carpeted stairs, and emerged in a spacious, high-ceilinged lounge with two fireplaces, a pool table, arched windows, and comfortable couches, we had to wonder if we'd accidentally booked a room at a luxury hotel! Aside from the furnishings, which are what you'd expect to find in a hostel--cheap, well-used, second-hand, and out-of-date--this place could pass for an upscale lodge. Our room was standard hostel fare with the added touch of having a small sink, which was nice. The bathrooms were clean. The dining room was set out like a fine restaurant, albeit with plastic chairs. The kitchen, which connects the lounge and dining areas, was stainless steel and industrial-sized. Because the hotel is located on a walking mall, there's no traffic noise, and it's just one block from the beach. We availed ourselves of the laundry facilities, non-free towels, and the free continental breakfast, but free WiFi, bikes, scooters, lockers, and a gym were also offered. If you're going to Napier, stay here before they realize they could make a lot more money turning it into a Ritz.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2013

I liked the location and the Art Deco facade but that was about it. The building is run down and dingey inside, and in need of TLC. The free wifi doesn't work in the hostel, you need to go to the cafe round the corner or pay to use the better one, the bedding smells like it hasn't been washed in a long time, the mattresses offer no support at all, the oven doesn't work (it took over an hour to cook two small pizzas but according to the manager, it's not broken), and only one of the two washing machines works. We were told by one of the staff that it's been broken for four months. Two of the guys working here are friendly and helpful but the manager (who claimed not to be the owner) was just a whole different kettle of fish. As mentioned by others, he can be nice but he can also be really quite strange and rude. I was alone in the kitchen and he came and told me - really had quite a go, that 4 other guests had been complaining about the I way I was using the oven - totally unfounded and he couldn't tell me who had made the complaints when I asked. When I queried this with the other staff they said that he is regularly rude to people when he's had a drink, and when I told them that I wanted to leave because of how he had treated me they said that they would speak to him on my behalf about getting my money back, but said that they should warn me this would probably result in him being more aggressive towards me. Insert 3 letter acronym here!!! We also figured out what gives it the creepy feeling mentioned by other reviewers- there is always one member of staff in the communal areas actively watching what you are doing. So, in summary, great art deco building but the hostel is really lacking in most other respects.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2013

A large group of dancers from all over the country completely take over the "Cri" every year during the Art Deco weekend. Not only is it in the perfect location but the fact we book the entire hostel means that it's like one big family party and you know all your belongings are totally safe. The staff are friendly and keep to themselves letting us have "run of the house". It's clean and tidy, the beds are comfortable. The decor is very fitting for the Art Deco themed town. Perhaps a few things could be updated such as lighting and maybe extra powerpoints in rooms. Overall, I'd stay here any other time during the year.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends