“Excellent room with views of the sea”

Shoreline Motel Napier
Ranked #8 of 46 Hotels in Napier
Reviewed 8 March 2010

Arrived on a soaking wet Sunday and room immediately gave us a lift. Very clean, spacious with an in-room spa and WiFi free for first 2 hours. Location great for sea-front restaurants, so despite weather we enjoyed Napier.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 29 January 2010

My best friend and I were staying in Napier for the weekend on holiday.

After our first night we came back at 1pm to find our room unlocked and no staff in sight. We advised management of this and we were told that the cleaners needed the rooms unlocked to clean our rooms. The problem was, they were all out the back having a smoke and their lunch. We were quite upset as our room had our laptops and other expensive equipment in there. We also had to ask them to specifically clean the showerhead - it was BLACK from grime and dirt and was SO disgusting.

After leaving again and coming back at 4pm we found that our room was still messy, the bed unmade, the bathroom dirty, and the kitchen area untidy. The bedding was thrown on the couch (something we didnt do), the remote controls over the floor but at least our door was locked!

After approaching management about this we were told that the cleaners didnt want to touch our bed because it is UNNATURAL for TWO FEMALES to be sleeping together in the same bed and totally inappropriate!!!! We were absolutely speechless! We then got a lecture about cleaning our own rooms! The management there were so RUDE, HORRID and an absolute nightmare to deal with. We feel that they discriminated against us beacuse they thought we were lesbians - we are making an official complaint to the Human Rights Commission about these two managers.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends
14  Thank SusanOsborne
Reviewed 13 January 2010

We arrived at the Shoreline with great expectations after reading other reviews on Trip Advisor. When we arrived, they couldn't find our booking - not really a big deal. Arriving at 3pm with the room still not ready was, however, a big deal after driving all day.

The room on the ground floor was clean, spacious & appeared well kept. We requested a room away from the stairs as others suggested (and yes - they are very loud). While the rooms look nice, the overall quality of the property is starting to deteriorate. The rooms on the ground floor have no sliding screen door on the patio, so you need to close them at night as the courtyard is not secure. With no air conditioning, the rooms get hot and stuffy through the night, meaning I got little sleep.

With travelling with an infant - hot water in the kitchen is a must in order to properly wash things, however, the Shoreline has no hot water in the kitchens. There is hot water in the bathrooms, but it will increase and decrease at will, leading to you burning yourself in the process or freezing during a shower.

The Shoreline offers 2 hours of free internet and a charge of $10 for every 2hrs after. Not really a big deal - but when they haven't spent money on upkeep, why would I pay for anything else? I would recommend travellers not stay in Shoreline, or other motels along the main strip as the traffic from heavy trucks is atrocious. Napier is a gorgeous town and I cant figure out why they haven't banned trucks from the shoreline road at night.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 January 2010

Rooms were great, absolutely huge with a spa bath in the main room which you have to check out. Rooms had all the cooking facilities you needed and were well equiped. location was good, right on the sea front and just a short walk into town

Reviewed 19 December 2009

The Shoreline Motel is in a wonderful location, looking out across the Ocean from the Living Room. Napier itself is a beautiful City, or should I say large Town? The architecture is magnificent, and I will definitely return, as only had 1 night here. The shoreline had free Wifi which was unusual in New Zealand, and very pleasant staff. We had a two bedroom unit, which was very spacious. I would recommend The Shoreline Motel to anyone staying in Napier.

Reviewed 13 December 2009

My husband and I stayed for two nights for a weekend away! Shoreline is so handy to McLean park....(hubby does like his cricket) Great shopping and resturants are all within 5 minutes walk.

Staff at the complex were ever so friendly and helpfull! Room was very clean with all the nice little extras...(crisp white waffle bathropes was just one of the extras!)
Great big king size beds with a wonderful big freshwater spa right next to the bed!

I know I will be staying here again thats for sure...was a lovely luxury motel with a great price! Well done to all the staff for making this motel a great relaxation/romance weekend away for us.

Reviewed 22 November 2009

Well, I can't rate the rooms as we were actually unable to stay here.

I made a booking with Shoreline Motel on Wotif.com which as an accommodation manager myself I know works on the basis of guaranteed rooms available as entered by the hotel itself. My partner and I happily set on our way to Napier and spent some time shopping in town awaiting the 2pm check in time, quite excited about a romantic night away in a top floor executive spa suite. at 1:50pm my cellphone starts ringing and it is the receptionist telling me 'sorry we do not have any rooms available on the sea front and only ground floor city facing rooms' Needless to say this was not what we wanted and I asked how they had taken a guaranteed booking without rooms? the reply was 'Oh we don't control those bookings and its your fault for booking online'! Hardly the most hospitable response. I asked them to arrange then for my money to be refunded that I had already paid them so I could go elsewhere and was told 'No, thats your problem to sort out its no our fault' At this point I mentioned that as someone who offered rooms on wotif.cm myself I knew for a fact it was their fault at which point suddenly the story changed to 'Oh well the managers not here so you'll just have to wait till 3pm for her' as we don't accept same day bookings' . Napier being on a hot weekend was booking up fast and I was not prepared to wait this long to get my money back and book elsewhere so I went to the hotel. The woman on reception can only be described as a 'dragon lady' , she was incredibly rude and kept telling me it was not her fault and she wouldn't help me till the manager arrived. I asked her if she could call the manager to which her reply was 'no, I have just called her before you got here so I won't call her again'. I left the motel disgusted with her service and took it upon myself to find another room pay another amount and sort it out from there. Fortunately wotif.com (After calling the motel and getting the same rude response) was very helpful and refunded all my money.

All in all I can not Believe that this place is still running which such rude staff. Certainly if any of the staff at my establishment were to act this way to a guest they would be facing serious disciplinary action. I certainly hope that people will look at the various other options along the Napier waterfront before booking rooms here!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple