“Cramped”

Ranked #20 of 34 Speciality Lodging in Napier
London, United Kingdom
“Cramped”
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Not far from the town or bus stop. Very small hostel, one room consisting on kitchen, dining area and lounge. Our dorm had very high albeit sturdy bunks but only one plug socket between 6 people. Bathrooms were clean and spacious. Kitchen rather small, particularly during busy times. Hostel doesn't seem big enough for the amount of people in there. Mostly workers stayed here, not so much for the passing-through traveller. Free wifi, though.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Napier, New Zealand
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Wauw had a great stay at Stables Lodge Backpackers, the rooms were clean as well as the showers and toilets. It was really nice every evening there was something to do: game night, BBQ night, volleybal, touch rugby, campfire night and more! From the backpackers it is a short 5 minute walk to the city center and beach. I really want to go back again to Stables Lodge, it feels like home away from home.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Masterton, Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 18 July 2013

I absolutely loved my time at Stables! Small, friendly with a fabulous location. Staff was awesome and had theme nights almost every night including BBQ night, international dinner, game night, movie night etc. The owner was there every morning and she was super nice and interested in us. A good feel to the place. Location is fabulous--one block from beach and 3 blocks to town centre. But the best part if FREE, I repeat FREE unlimited wifi!!!!! If you have been backpacking for any length of time in NZ you know what a treat this is. I saw other people check in and they were SO happy! Owner doing a lot of nice upgrades currently to the backpacker including a VIP private ensuite room with a kitchenette and updating the furniture and decor in the common areas. I read previous reviews about rude staff, weird check in system, etc so I asked the owner about it since I experienced NONE of that and actually extended my stay here a couple of times and she said she had new management and systems put into place a few months ago that helped solve those problems. She is super receptive and was listening! The thing you have to remember with a backpacker is that staff overturns frequently as travellers work in exchange for accomodation. I must have come at a very good point as the staff working there were just awesome. Can't say enough good things about my stay here!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 14 July 2013

The layout is rather weird, you enter from a side fence to the centre and then check in at a "janitor office" but the staff is friendly and nice. The vibe here is quite good as well. The kitchen is really small though. I really liked the layout and the designs, walls, and quotes all over. I LOVED the "Best Plan is no Plan, Welcome to Stable Lodge!" It was rather clean and the rooms were quite nice, wooden beds which feels nice. everything was rather good. UNTIL at 10PM, we booked a private room for 4 so the layout was 2 single bunk and a double bunk with a single ontop. then a stranger walked in. It was fortunately two of the girls was sharing the double. If all 4 of us slept separately, where would he sleep? It was really late and we were tired from our drive. [I cant decide whether I should give 1 or 2 stars but 2 stars is the best I could give due to this incident. but this is intolerable, imagine you paid for a room and a stranger just walked in.]

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank angExplorer

Travellers are raving about these Napier hotels

Reviewed 14 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed for two nights, the room itself was fine, except the management isolate the heating in the day so it was bloody cold.
The staff were unwelcoming and the owner clear ignorant. I think (other than money) she resented people being there.
The kitchen and common areas were not adequately cared for.
Cheap, but if I had my time again, I'd go elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2013
Napier, New Zealand
Reviewed 28 June 2013

We stayed in here during the mission estate concert weekend, it was the only reasonably priced accommodation available. Drove down after work on the Friday, arriving at approx 10pm, "welcoming" us was the night duty manager who did not hold back in letting us know what an inconvenience it was for him to check us in at this late time (think over exaggerated sighing, head shaking etc etc.). He infact told us numerous times how rude we were to show up at that late hour. We had to pay cash for our 2 night stay as operating the eftpos machine was a further inconvenience to him. Most of the hostel residents were European fruit pickers, meaning any sort of party atmosphere or chance to meet backpackers is nil. Positives? The bed was comfy-ish.

Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Lille, France
Reviewed 18 June 2013

This backpacker has all you need for a very reasonable price and even more... Free fast wifi, clean kitchen, comfy rooms, great location (2 minutes walk from the beach and stores), friendly and very helpful staff, animations every night. The owners also have a horse farm, AND you can win a free horse trek on poker night! Which I was lucky to win. We rode on the beach with their super nice horses. Absolutly stunning, one of my best day in NZ. I highly recommand the hostel and the trek.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo