“Nice place to be”

Stables Lodge Backpackers
Ranked #23 of 34 Speciality Lodging in Napier
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights at stables lodge and we really enjoyed it. The staff was friendly and helpful, the rooms are small but enough of space to store your stuff and very cosy. Only the mattress in one of the beds were a mess, should be changed soon. I asked if I can change the bed, that was no problem because one became free. The place itself is very cosy and you can sit outsite having your lunch or dinner with other guests. Feels like home and even the kitchen was (for backpackers style) in a good shape. We would always go back there staying a few nights over.

Stayed: March 2014

Reviewed 19 March 2014

I was unfortunate enough to book a night here during the Napier Art Deco Weekend at the last minute at 11.30pm on Thursday evening. At 8am on Friday morning I called to explain that this had been done in error, I understood that there was a cancellation policy but as it was the busiest weekend of the year in Napier with all accommodation fully booked, would they be able to resell the room and not charge me. (obviously, if this wan't possible, I was happy to pay. The cancellation fee is there to protect the hostel from loss of revenue and not being able to fill the room at short notice) This was not just about saving a few dollars it was also about not wanting to waste a free bed in a fully booked town. Several people ended up sleeping on benches in the park that night!
I spoke to someone on reception, who said that it shouldn't be a problem as people had been asking for accommodation all morning. Could I just send an email with my name and details to confirm this. I then spent the next hour or so trying to send this email and getting bounce backs.
I called again and a very offhand woman told me that there was a 24 hour cancellation policy and that I would be charged. So I had wasted my time and phone calls for nothing. I sent an email to the manager at the address she gave me, which gained no response, not even an acknowledgement a few days later.

I was then forced to cancel my booking online, so that at least someone could enjoy the bed. I was charged for this and when I looked online later the bed was resold, so they made their money twice on this and never bothered replying to any of my emails.

I don't usually write bad reviews but I just felt that this place was totally lacking in customer service skills. They sell cheap rooms to backpackers, so they should realise that every penny counts. They should also be more polite and at least respond to their customers. I hope that they leave this business and let someone run it who actually cares about providing a good service.

After travelling for many years, I can say that there are owners of budget accommodation who do a great job, love their clients and go out of their way to accommodate them and help when they can. JUST NOT AT STABLE LODGE!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Kimberley R
Reviewed 11 March 2014

the place needs a lot of maintenance / upkeep work done (walls, carpets very dingy), doors don't fit door frames, smell coming from the drain, toilets keep running through the night etc.

We booked a studio that had a 'fold out bed' in addition to a double bed - this is an L shaped hard leather seat against a wall that folds out flat leaving a big ridge down the middle of the 'bed' and is seriously uncomfortable.

Staff keep shrugging their shoulders at questions in a general air of bewilderment. Place needs some management. Office doesn't open until 9am so if you want your $20 key deposit back you have to wait until then. there is a 'ring the bell' option which we did at 8.30am but it was 9 before anyone showed up as per the office hours sign on the door.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 February 2014

We were incorrectly booked in a day later than when we arrived. The attendant working the desk could not answer any of our questions about a cancellation policy or refer us to a manager. We stated that we wished to remain booked in until we could find out about how much a cancellation fee would be. We were forced to book into a different hostel (which was incredibly understanding of our situation and very helpful). When we tried to call back later to figure out cancelling, our booking had been completely erased from the system.

Also, from what we saw, the place was a complete mess. Don't go here!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 January 2014

This hostel is located just a short work from the town centre and 2 minutes from a large supermarket. Theres a nice outside space and sofa area.

The shared rooms are so small, there's only space for 2 bunks and not much more. You do get a light and Shelton by each bed though which is always good.

The WiFi is really fast and sometimes there's free fresh vegetables! So not a bad choice.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Not far from the town or bus stop. Very small hostel, one room consisting on kitchen, dining area and lounge. Our dorm had very high albeit sturdy bunks but only one plug socket between 6 people. Bathrooms were clean and spacious. Kitchen rather small, particularly during busy times. Hostel doesn't seem big enough for the amount of people in there. Mostly workers stayed here, not so much for the passing-through traveller. Free wifi, though.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Wauw had a great stay at Stables Lodge Backpackers, the rooms were clean as well as the showers and toilets. It was really nice every evening there was something to do: game night, BBQ night, volleybal, touch rugby, campfire night and more! From the backpackers it is a short 5 minute walk to the city center and beach. I really want to go back again to Stables Lodge, it feels like home away from home.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo