All reviews free wifi bunk beds enjoyed my stay well equipped kitchen marine parade hostel hallway lounge
Reviewed 8 May 2017

Room was clean and bed was really comfy. There was space enough for luggage and a locker available. The kitchen was clean and the food storage well organised. Staff was really nice! I enjoyed my stay here and would definitely come back.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 March 2017

Having spent many weeks travelling around New Zealand and using backpacker accommodation all the time, we were disappointed with this place. We had a bunk bed studio room. We hadn't realised that it wasn't a one up and one down but a double bunk up a wooden ladder. There was not enough room to sit up straight when in the bed and I'm only 5ft 1inch tall. My husband couldn't get in and out of the bed safely so spent 2 nights on the very narrow sofa bed. The toilet, shower and sink were all clean. The communal kitchen was dreadful. It was always full of flies and the tea towels were horrible. Neither the microwave nor the oven worked so there were just 4 hobs for everyone to use on the morning we left. Staff were friendly but we would not stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dinkle2017
Reviewed 7 March 2017 via mobile

One of the best hostels I stayed in so far! Really clean, awesome location (so close to Pak'n'save and the city center!) and fast WiFi that reaches everywhere. Outside areas are really nice! The kitchen could be a little bigger but is has everything that's needed for preparing your meals. Rooms were clean and comfy. If you're lucky you might even get your own double bed!
I also loved the general atmosphere here. I was part of the "family" instantly and met really cool new friends. The staff is especially amazing! I will always keep the evenings full of beer, laughter and awesome conversations in good memory!
Cheers and lots of love to Beth and Ariel if you read this, you rock this place!!

Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 February 2017

A lot of the questions asked here apply to a hotel, and travellers should bear in mind that it is a HOSTEL and to expect a dorm/uni halls type environment.

The staff were friendly and helpful, but in all honesty Stables is much better suited to the young solo traveller, with great opportunities for sharing and socialising.

I think we were unfortunate as the one night were there, there was a birthday party which did go on all night, so we moved on the next day as needed some where peaceful and relaxing to say.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EHopkin
Reviewed 5 February 2017 via mobile

Do not stay here! Infested with bedbugs. Got over 30 bites in one night. Can't believe there can still be open. Worst night of my life. Better of sleeping on a park bench. Do not stay at this backbackers!

Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo