“Great tours”

US$14.00*
Napier Prison Audio Tours
Ranked #17 of 33 Tours in Napier
More attraction details
Owner description: Listen to a 50 minute self-guided audio tour while inspecting the vacant prison cells and deserted exercise yard. You will learn the history of the oldest prison in New Zealand and experience what doing time was all about. Feel the oppressive atmosphere of the hanging garden, the solitary confinement and the death row cells. Hear the tales of the Australasia’s richest drug baron; escape attempts, the Eye eater, hangman’s gallows and much more. Audio guide tours allow you to take your time and read extra information along the way. Family entertainment is guaranteed with plenty of photo opportunities including mug shots and an opportunity to create life-long memories through our Souvenir Shop Napier Prison has also been featured on Ghost Hunters International where unexplainable activities were investigated. is also one totally haunted attraction. We invite you to experience your own Ghost Hunt learning from our paranormal experts how to use the ghost equipment, take great photographs and recognize paranormal activity. We provide our guests ample time to use our "Ghost Hunting" devices.
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Very epic experience heading throu the prison hearing all the diff stories and just experiencing kinda what they did back in the day. Its very cool. Well worth visiting.
The drive way is low tho so if you have lowered car do not drive up ... walk up instead.

napierprison, Public Relations Manager at Napier Prison Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2014

Hi - thanks for coming to prison! Some people like to pretend those mug shots are the real thing when talking to family far away. In fact we even had some people turn them into Christmas cards this year. A little corny - but pretty unusual; and they seemed to get a good laugh from most parents! You could try sending out the mugshots in a New Year's email and see if it gets a response from the family :)

Reviewed 11 April 2014

For me, this was a truly 5 star experience. I am usually not a fan of guided tours/sightseeing/tours at all, but we decided to give this a go as it was listed in our rough guide to NZ. So glad we did! I did the historical tour, and felt the "museum" vibe from the people working there was a bit over the top, but walking around the prison and reading the plaques gave me goosebumps and shivers. Seeing the dubious artwork of previous inmates was a moving and disturbing experience. My wife thought the prison tour was more "ok", but I was quite impressed and really liked it a lot.

1  Thank Erlend1984
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I enjoyed the do it yourself tour. My husband did the historical tour and I did the ghost tour. The place has a creepy vibe. We were the only ones there, except for the backpackers. The audio devices were a bit hard to work but overall I enjoyed the tour. Certainly wouldn't want to spend the night there.

1  Thank Xena100bc
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We turned up on a Sunday but when approaching the prison we weren't even sure if it was open. Turns out you just press the button and a lady appeared and let us in.
We were handed a map and an audio guide and handed over $20 each which is definitely over priced. We chose the historic tour which was interesting.
It's pretty creepy and we hadn't realised it was still a backpackers when we visited which would explain why the showers had been used and you could see washing machines. Kind of takes away from what an interesting place this could be.
One more thing, if like us you are walking, I really wouldn't bother walking to Bluff Hill look out afterwards like we did. From the top all you can see is the port which is in no way a pretty sight.

2  Thank BackpackinBrit
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Freaky experience, quite airy when you're there, couldn't go in a number of cells very freaky...
Rather interesting experience didn't know what to expect when we pressed the button.
You're meant to be able to do your finegr prints yet there is no ink.
Got a sore ear having to hold the stupid hand held thing to my head.
Also woman didn't explain the tours(tours...listening devices) very well and we were very confused and I think that may be her language barrier...not sure.
If you have two people get both listening devices and then swap at each spot that's what we did and took us about 2 hours to fully complete.
Quite an interesting sight seeing backpackers staying there, I know I definitely wouldn't!!

1  Thank PrincessCH