“Decent”

Cuisines: European
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

A group of us (8) chose the Boardwalk for dinner on Art Deco weekend Saturday. Service was good - our waitress was fun, friendly and patient. The food was a decent standard if not outstanding. Our only gripe was the heat. We were in a conservatory type area with lovely ocean views but no air conditioning and few opening windows. It was just too hot and that one factor spoiled the experience. Otherwise, was good. Recommended, but try to find a table inside where there is air con!

Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

Was looking for a nice but not too pricey place for lunch on our way through Napier, and Boardwalk fit both categories well. Friendly service, meals bigger than expected, but very tasty as well. Fit the bill so nicely that we returned a second time on the way back through, especially after another cafe refused to make their "BLT" just after midday (end of breakfast)

1  Thank emohawk
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Not the place for a romantic dinner for two, and the interior is a little tired, but this place is much better than average as a family dinner venue. We visited in the evening after dark, and this may well be a much more attractive destination during the day when you can make the most of the sea views. Because as the name suggests, Boardwalk is right beside the coastal path at Ahuriri. We enjoyed walking there from our accommodation, and walking home afterwards. There are quite a number of tables, so you are likely to be able to get a table even on a popular night. The staff were good, and the meals were fine without being anything very special. We would recommend this place as a venue for dinner with children.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

My wife and I went here for a Saturday lunch on ANZAC day.
To start off the boardwalk has to have one of the best locations in the bay 2 steps and your on the beach,the glass panels around the outside seating area give you a great view of the ocean but protect you from the on shore wind and salt spray. The menu is rather large so needed at least 20 minutes to decide what to have. Wine list Is good, lacking craft beers but no biggy.
We decided on the fresh squid, fish bites, cheese and bacon wedges and eye fillet steak.
All were very fresh and tasted great. I know a few people have had mixed feelings towards this place since the owners changed but it defiantly didn't disappoint us and we be back again in the near future.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Went to The Boardwalk with my fiance mid week. Had booked a table but were able to choose where we wanted to sit which was nice. Drinks ordered and water glasses filled. Vast menu but as I am a seafood nut I ordered the Crumbed Scollops for entrie and my partner ordered the Seafood Chowder. Wow when they came out we were so impressed. Gorgeous large scollops and cooked the correct way with the roe still on, and the chowder was full of seafood and had two giant prawns on the side. This dish also came with a bowl of water to wash the hands. These two entries were just devine. We had already ordered our mains which we both decided on the Beef and Oyster Bourguignon Pie. The dish came with a basket of chips which looked great and tasted great too. My pie was full of gorgeously cooked steak and about 4 oysters but I found it a little salty - but that could have been the oysters, and it was in a thick sauce. The pastry was a little undercooked on the bottom of the lid but all in all the dish was very yummy but I was unable to finish it as I was still full from my entrie. My partners pie was more saucy (perhaps a little too much) and had lots of oysters and mushrooms.
All in all we had a great time and will return. The staff were friendly and the restaurant was resonably busy but the smiles were still there.