“great place”

Archies Bunker Backpackers
Ranked #24 of 34 Speciality Lodging in Napier
Reviewed 10 January 2010

it was a pleasure staying there.and have told many if ever in Napier stay there great hosts, lovely rooms all so clean and fresh,kitch was set up well ,
thanks again for the stay my daughter son/in/law and grand children loved it as well a credit to you and your staff
Family from Nelson and Golden Bay

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
Archiesbunker, Owner at Archies Bunker Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2010

Hi GayleGoldenBay. Thanks so much for taking the time to write such positive comments about your experience when you stayed with us. We really appreciate it when guests take the time to place feedback and, of course, we love it when people are happy.

Reviewed 24 August 2009

I found this place on the BBH website and also here on TA. It had some good reviews but was just ok for us. The location is good and we slept well both nights. If you want advice on what to do and who to do it with while in Hawkes Bay then this may be a good option for you. We made reservations in advance for wine tasting and dinners while in town, which visibly annoyed one of the owners. (I later discovered that they get a small commission for referring guests to wine tours, restaurants etc. so this might explain their behavior.) We'll probably stay somewhere else next time.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Archiesbunker, Owner at Archies Bunker Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2009

Hey TeamSeattle, thanks for taking the time to review us on TA. We are very happy to hear that you found our location great and slept well - probably two of the most important things to travellers. Also pleased that we were able to give good advice on things to do while you were here. Just to put the record straight regarding commissions - we do get (very) small commissions on some activities but get NO commisssion for referring guests to restaurants or similar. What we get annoyed with is when we spend a long time discussing a guests needs and impart advice in line with the best use of their time while in Napier then they go to another booking agent who, in our experience, sells them whatever they can make the most commission out of rather than matching them with the best experience. We are not commission biased and refer guests based on our experience and our guests feedback. Pretty disappointed that despite sleeping well, our location and the time spent interacting you that you would not recommend us. We hope you enjoy the rest of your travels in New Zealand. Cheers, Julie and Doug.

Reviewed 26 July 2009

I stayed at this backpackers-type hostel July 8-10 2009.
Doug picked me up at the Intercity/Newmans bus station. (The email to me said let them know when I was to arrive for a no charge pick-up & return ride to bus station.)
At first I was put in a private single room #8 though the loud boiler/heater downstairs that vibrated the floor made me quickly request to be moved. Doug was very accommodating & moved me to room #5. (And later I overheard another guest complain about the boiler.) Both rooms were small though the beds were comfortable. There was also a desk/chair, a fan and a nice flat screen TV that had a built-in DVD player. (Movies to borrow at front desk.)
There wasn’t any towel in my room though I brought my own.
The kitchen area on the main floor had a fridge & utensils to use/borrow and wash.
Decent cooking appliances also for preparing foods and a small dining room with a few tables to eat & chat with others. There’s a laundry area to wash/dry clothes. In the front part of the hostel there’s a lounge with TV and pay-per-use computers (also pay wi-fi) on the ground floor.
This is a backpacker’s type hostel. People wanting to spend little money and/or meet lots of other travelers stay here. You have to have a sharing/opened mind. There will always be those who talk loudly in/outside their rooms, cook all kinds of foods, walk around like they have lead feet, get cheery as they watch TV, etc.
The owners Doug & Julie were extremely nice & helpful with directions as well as ideas of what to do & see in Napier. (Ask Doug to map you out his long walk--lots to see with great views!) I’m very appreciative of the email communication before my arrival and even a phone call made while there to check on a funny prison tour I did. I felt like I saw and did all I planned to in this town though if I were to return, I’d definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo

Hey Funnychap24 - thanks for taking the time to write such positive comments about your experience when you stayed with us. We really appreciate it when travellers place such comprehensive feedback and, of course, love it when people are happy. All the best for your travels.

Reviewed 20 January 2009

Archies bunker is situated just off the front promenade and adjacent to the main shopping precint. They offer a pick up and drop off service from the intercity caches and this is very much appreciated. The hostel itself is extremely clean with very helpful owners who offer a wide variety of DVDs for those lonely nights. The rooms were a decent size and overall i would reccomend this hostel.

• Stayed: January 2009
    • Check-in / front desk
Archiesbunker, Owner at Archies Bunker Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2009

Hey Newry82 - thanks for taking the time to write a positive comment about our place - we really appreciate hearing feedback and, of course, love it when people are happy. All the best for your travels.

Reviewed 7 November 2008

I've been staying at Archies now for the last week and am absolutely loving it! It is incredibly clean and run by the friendliest people; always willing to help.

Not sure what 'Jitzy' is talking about - the building is an art deco one, so it would be expected that things are not brand new, despite this, the bathrooms are in good condition and are always exceptionally clean.

The 2 kitchens are also kept clean and tidy, as are the lounges which both have huge brand new TV's and free pool :)

I'm loving this beautiful city and all it has to offer and the hosts here have been extraordinarily helpful with making my stay the best it can be. Definitely one of the greatest hostels i've stayed in!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank jimmeybee

Hey Jimmeybee - thanks for your awesome feedback, we really appreciate you taking the time to put comments about our hostel. All the best for your future travels.

Reviewed 25 October 2008

Stayed at this hostel at the beginning of October 08 based on the reviews on this site. Sounded like a nice place from the reviews but I was disappointed with the facilities. We had a double room (no ensuite) which was an ok size for an overnight stay with a small tv and dvd player.

The bathrooms were shared and mixed sex and were a bit 'dated' and could have done with a good bleaching session! I personally am not a fan of mixed sex bathrooms especially when I was in the shower and could hear a man from a stag party throwing up the next morning in the toilet next to me!!!!!!!

It did have 2 lounges with TV's and 2 kitchens which could also have done with a good cleaning too!

I have stayed at a lot of hostels in my time and this doesn't rate as a particularly good one. I would not recommend it and would not stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank Jitzy

Its a shame that this person feels she has had a bad experience that influenced adverse comments against us but despite her negativity we have rigid cleaning programmes in place and guests can be assured that other than normal day to day guest activity, our hostel is exceptionally clean and in fact 99% of our feedback is positive and often mentions the high standard of cleanliness. If this person required private bathroom facilities as indicated then why not book one of our ensuite rooms? Your derisive comment about the TV is really surprising - all other guests are amazed that there are TV/DVD's in the rooms and we have little control over guests partying at a private function then coming back to sleep and using our bathroom facilities. Perhaps Jitzy would be better suited to our next door neighbour - The County Hotel offers private bathrooms, larger TV's and (hopefully) no noisy guests for a mere $350 per night. :-)

Reviewed 22 September 2008

What a lovely place!!!!!! Excellent service from Doug ( owner) who had great local knowledge and who took the time to point out great places to go and how to get there! Hostel was VERY clean and tidy. rooms were a good price.

We had a great time in Napier and were very happy with our accomodation!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Archiesbunker, Owner at Archies Bunker Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2008

Thank you so much for your awesome review James and Holly, it was a pleasure having you to stay.