“The end of a great day”

Ranked #3 of 197 Restaurants in Napier
Price range: US$5 - US$25
Cuisines: Asian, Indonesian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic, Kids, View, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
“The end of a great day”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

At the end of a day out, 30 of us descended on The Indonesian(planned & booked). It was brilliant, great service and food. The flavours were fantastic. Thanks Kees & Joss.

• Visited November 2013
Kees P, Owner at Indonesia Restaurant, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
It's a little while ago that you had your function at our restaurant. Really appreciated that you have taken the time to write your feedback on your first dining at experience at our establishment. And we're happy that you enjoyed it.
'Restaurant Indonesia' - Proudly Celebrating 31 Years

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“A warm and welcoming place in a storm”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I recently enjoyed a meal in this restaurant while on business in Napier. I went with a group of business associates and from the time we entered we were made to feel very welcome. It was a wild night outside and very comfortable inside. One of our group had been there before and had recommended the restaurant.
The service was very good and the food excellent.
Well worth a return visit.

Kees P, Owner at Indonesia Restaurant, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Your review is greatly appreciated. A wild night outside, some comfort food inside. What else is needed. Lucky you didn't dine with us last night because it was beyond wild...
'Restaurant Indonesia' - Established in 1983
“Love love love!”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

My partner and I have been huge fans of Restaurant Indonesia for a few years now. So I decided to take him there to celebrate his 30th birthday! I'm so glad I did - we were looked after so well! Great service, combined with great food and a warm and friendly atmosphere, just awesome! Kees and Joss always make you feel like you've been welcomed into their home! What can I say it's always great and I can't wait to share this little gem with my parents when they come to stay in Napier next month. Without a doubt make sure you order the Rijsttafel at Restaurant Indonesia! Enjoy!

Kees P, Owner at Indonesia Restaurant, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Thanks Amanda for your kind words about our restaurant and particularly about Joss and myself.
The night you dined with us we let you in on our little secret but we now can more openly let anyone know that we have sold our little restaurant. But don't think for one moment that we're disappearing completely because we will be staying on with the new owners for a few months to come.
I know you like our place and we felt pretty privileged to be picked as the venue to celebrate Simon's 30th birthday.
Looking forward meeting your parents.
Joss Lamers & Kees Peters (proprietors) and Staff
'Restaurant Indonesia' - Proudly Celebrating 31 Years!
“Just loved it!”
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I completely agree with the other reviewers, the evening I spend with my friends in the Indonesia Restaurant was one of the best I had since I came to New Zealand!
The food is absolutely beautiful and delicious! The half of our group ordered the Rijstafel and the other half Bami/Nasi Goreng and it was so so good. The Rijstafel was a whole new experience and it made fun sitting around the burners (which keep your meals warm), sharing food with friends and enjoy the lovely taste of beef, lamb, fish etc. After the main course I was so stuffed with good food but I couldn't resist to order also a dessert and I definitely don't regret that. I had the coconut coated chocolate ice cream with coconut cream and it was really good.
But not only the food made the evening so special, the owners and the staff are very friendly, nice and down to earth. Even when the restaurant is busy Kees takes the time to have a little chat with the customers and he is never short of a wisecrack :). The restaurant itself is really cozy and you can see that Kees and Joss have an eye for detail for the decoration and even for presentation of the food.
I really enjoyed that evening and I will definitely come back. Cheers guys and see you soon!

Kees P, Owner at Indonesia Restaurant, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
What great accolades you're giving here to us. So much appreciated. This is to our knowledge the third review we've received of your party of nine guests which clearly demonstrates that you must have had a great time.
Not many people manage to do desserts after a meal at our restaurant but if they do it's very often most appreciated.
In the service we try to give it all a personal touch and like our customers to feel 'at home' at our place.
Thanks for your review!
'Restaurant Indonesia' - Since 1983
Invercargill, New Zealand
“"Taste Sensation"”
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Any person knowing Indonesian food will find themselves in heaven. Any person new to Indonesian food will find themselves exposed to a taste sensation. Delicious dishes, obviously prepared with knowledge of Indonesian cuisine, a love of cooking and a desire to please the diners. Served by most pleasant and helpful staff in a relaxed, unhurried manner. Much better as many a meal experienced in Holland. The reason for staying an extra day in Napier in order to enjoy a second meal at this terrific restaurant.

Kees P, Owner at Indonesia Restaurant, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
All of us are very pleased with this fantastic review of our little restaurant. What greater compliment can we get then customers returning for the second time just a few nights apart. And even extended your stay in our lovely Napier to be able to do this.
It was so nice to see you on both occasions being so happy with what was served to you and it seemed that licking of plates crossed your minds...
No doubt we will see you again whenever back here in Hawkes' Bay and thanks for recommending us to prospective diners.
'Restaurant Indonesia' - Proudly Celebrating 31 Years