“Devine”

Ranked #2 of 207 Restaurants in Napier
Price range: US$0 - US$30
Cuisines: New Zealand
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We went to the Mission last night (again) and the food was devine. Every mouthful was a pleasure. Excellent service this time - the older the waiter, the better the service (in my experience of the Mission).

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We have experienced many wonderful meals here over the years and our first 'coffee only' visit was very pleasant.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

We made our lunch winery plans around this fact - open on Mondays. This meal experience was truly excellent, and barely a couple degrees short of best in class. The inside dining rooms could use some refurbishment and interior design work, but we sat outside. Still quite windy and views are a short walk away not in your face like others may have, Service was good enough, could be more professional perhaps. Food was really excellent and notable. We had a cured salmon and a duck salad. Yummie figs. Then the best beef steak I can remember ever eating, large, tasty, lean, mouth melting and properly seasoned. We split it, it was large. Also a delicious and unusual dessert with rhubard in a pasta shell + a local blue cheese and they make their own port. Wines all good, port quite a special find at one barrel a year only in the restaurant; cab merlot blend and chardonnay,did not seem great however. Must sample the port. Did not share and show bottles at the table, just brought the glass. Suggested wine pairings were also ot available. Would certainly recommend but there are many wineries doing lunch around here not to miss too, and this was barely any less expensive.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

The Mission Restaurant continues to maintain the very highest of standards for both the range of cuisine and service performance. The setting is superb, all in all this venue epitomises the best in fine dining. I have dined here many times and I guess that speaks volumes, I will continue to return here.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Dressed for fish and chips at the beach, my husband surprised me with presenting a wedding ring on the patio of friends' Mission B&B on the Avenue in Napier where we had spent our wedding night four years ago. A quick rummage through their wardrobes saw us more appropriately dressed for the venue and our friends were delighted to introduce us to the staff at one of their favourite places. Actually, my friend's husband had proposed to her there five years ago.
The meal was devine. I always go for seafood dishes and this one was exceptional. Presentation delivered to the taste buds exactly what my eyes perceived. My husband totally devoured his beef eye fillet mains after an oyster entree whet his appetite. The desserts, peach melba for hubby and a rare chef's decadent chocolate basket for me were outstanding.
A complimentary cheese board was presented with coffee at the end of the meal as congratulations were offered on our celebration.
The wines were smooth as Mission wine always is. Exceptional value all round with staff friendly and relaxingly proficient, the venue perfect on a cool, clear Hawkes Bay evening.
We will happily return.