“Fabulous!”

Ranked #2 of 201 Restaurants in Napier
Price range: US$0 - US$30
Cuisines: New Zealand
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Fabulous!”
Reviewed 1 September 2014

The setting is superb - drinks on the lawn first, with the views of the vineyard and beyond. Hard to beat the setting. Also hard to beat the service. The wine waiter insisted that we truly love the wine he served us and so it took three attempts! He was right in that the wine complemented the meal and we loved the final choice. A never to be forgotten experience.

Visited February 2014

“Such Interesting History”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Definitely worth taking the time to do the tour about the history of The Mission...interesting. Then the wine tasting to follow. Have to be honest that while the food was nice, it was a Retro theme for the month of August, I was a little disappointed. I would have expected to have had an amazing meal in such a beautiful location. Don't get me wrong it was a lovely meal, perhaps just not stunning BUT definitely worth a visit.

Visited August 2014
Napier, New Zealand
“Usually excellent but last time it was poor”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

The Mission has been one of the best restaurants in Hawkes Bay for many years. One outstanding feature was that they are so consistent. I never ever heard anything negative about it. I ate there myself about 5 times over the last 5 years. Four times it was excellent. Unfortunately, the last time it was poor. It was on mothers day and I took my wife and daughter there. The seafood chowder tasted boring with mainly veges (peas and sweetcorn) and not much seafood in it. My wife's lamb shanks were terrible, presentation awful. My steak was good but not as outstanding as I remembered it. I always liked their food but never the ambiance and decor of the restaurant. In the past it didn't mater so much as the food was so good. But now we felt like we were dining in an old people's home and certainly my wifes food looked like it too. Staff was friendly and efficient but a bit stiff and no-one asked how the meal was at the end so I didn't tell them. I still regret that as I paid almost $200 for two adults and one child. Mains are between $30 - $40. My rating is the average of 4 excellent and 1 poor. I just hope this was an off-day and they get their act together again. And please ring a decorator.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank MrLatte
Berlin, Germany
“Great for an inaugural wine tasting”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

The man and I went for the first wine tasting in our lifes, missed the classic tour on arrival and instantly got a private one! Staff were very friendly and not in the least upset with us greenhorns, they explained very well, showed us the cellars and let us try more than the typical set of 5 wines. Bought a bottle of dry, red wine (cannot recall the grape though) for Xmas and it was delicious. Plus the setting of the place is just awesome. Thanks for that!

• Visited September 2013
Shirley, United Kingdom
“Very nice”
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

You know you have been spoilt in life when you only give The Mission a 4 out if 5. The food is very nice and the service is good to. The location is lovely. If I was being critical I'd say it possibly lacks a little atmosphere but that's just being picky!