“Best stay in the area, without a doubt”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Baystay B&B

Baystay B&B
Ranked #9 of 21 Paihia B&B and Inns
Benfleet, United Kingdom
“Best stay in the area, without a doubt”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2009

We stayed for 2 nights here, and only wish it could have been more.

We only met one host, Rob. He was so friendly and helpful in every way. Whether it was to talk about the area, or New Zealand as a whole.

We had the river view room. We booked the cheaper option, but on arrival, no one else was staying, so Rob put us in the River view room which was very nice.

Breakfast was amazing. We were offered everything you can imagine, including freshly baked croissants, and freshly squeezed juice. Amazing. We ate breakfast in the dining room, looking over the river, which runs into the Haruru Falls.

It is like a little piece of paradise, and you will want a house just like this.

It is about 5 minutes drive to Paihia, which is perfect.

I cannot praise this place enough. It was so much better than some hotels could ever be. Every area of the house was immaculate and the hot tub on the decking out the back was amazing. Sitting in there looking down the hill at the river was so relaxing.

The bedroom was massive with a television and a computer which we were offered use of free of charge. A nice touch I thought.

Rob made us feel like a friend staying to visit rather than a complete stranger. If New Zealand wasn't so far away, I would holiday here every year in the Baystay!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2009

Saying that a Bed and Breakfast is better than a 5 star hotel may sound like an exaggeration to some, but it is not. In fact, this is the first bed and breakfast I have ever stayed in. I travel quite frequently, and when I do, I usually stay in 4 and 5 star hotels such as the W in San Francisco, Hotel Del Coronado in San Diego, the Wynn in Las Vegas, Sheraton at the Park in Sydney, the Langham in Auckland, etc. When it comes to comfort, personalized attention and service, cleanliness, and an overall amazing stay, those hotels have nothing over Baystay. When we first decided to book here, I must admit, I was a bit hesitant because I didn't think staying at someone's house could be so comfortable. However, I wanted to try something new and different, and I am so glad that I did. The two hosts were wonderful. Moments after we walked in, we were shown to our awesome Riverview room and offered wine. The room was spacious, clean, offered free internet access, and the bathroom had hotel style bath products. Also, each morning, we were served with an amazing (cooked to order) breakfast which was so good, it put me in a good mood for the rest of the day. The house is only a 3-5 minute drive from the center of this lovely little town, and our hosts drove us whenever we wanted to go out. They even arranged for a free cab ride back from one of the restaurants. I am so glad we did not ignore their restaurant recommendations because they were fabulous. As if that wasn't enough, our hosts even allowed us to use their washing machine for some last minute laundry before our trip to our next destination.
I would highly recommend Niek and Rob's bed and breakfast. If I were taking another trip to Paihia, I cannot imagine staying anywhere else.

scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2009

Niek and Rob thank you for a warm welcome and fantastically clean room. You are such genuinely lovely people, living in a little peace of paradise ,yet willing to share it with others. I had the best nights sleep of my entire trip at baystay because the quiet just envelopes you. We wish you every succcess with all your future plans and hope one day in the near future to visit you again. My advice to anyone thinking about visiting Paihia is - just go.

Kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2009

A beautifully situated accomodation within easy reach of all attractions.Niek & Rob were made us feel right at home ,were great hosts.Food was great and the best we have had in any B&B where ever we hav been.They have a beautiful home and it was a pleasure to stay there.Having your own transport is beneficial.
Joan & Ray Hayes, England

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2009

Baystay was the best stay of our trip -- better than the 4 and 5 star hotels in Sydney and Auckland! Niek and Rob went out of their way to make us feel at home, including giving us rides into town, restaurant recs, glasses of wine, etc. Their home is peaceful and lovely, and the room we stayed in was very clean and comfortable. I want to go back as soon as possible!

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2009

We stayed at Baystay for four nights and it was delightful. We stayed in the Riverview room, the views are exactly as depicted on the wesite, the bed is extremely comfy, the room is well appointed with ensuite, fridge,seating and a computer with free internet access. The hosts Niek and Rob are both true gentlemen, treating you like guests in their lovely home. You can help yourself to brewed coffee or tea at any time. Each morning breakfast was a treat. We enjoyed a most sumptious meal on our last night for the princely sum of NZ $40.00 per head. We feasted on terrine, macadamia crusted fish with baked vegetables, home made sorbet with Lemon Z and the most sublime tiramisu. Baystay is a most enjoyable place to stay in a most beautiful part of NZ. We hope to return one day. Thank you ,once again Niek and Rob.

Rotorua
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2009

This 'find' is a gem in the Bay of Islands. The hosts Niek and Rob have brought their European flair to this property and are true Bed and Breakfast hosts of impecable standards - not in-your-face but "there' when needed. Lovely meals - couldnt see the point in going to a local restaurant when a home cooked meal can be taken with the hosts - great conversation, uninteruppted views from the wide balcony, and then a relaxing hot tub under that stars.
The bedrooms are beautifully decorated with all mod cons; the ensuite bathrooms roomy with luxurious towels and essences; and the location offers idyllic quietness for a great night's sleep after a busy day sightseeing in the region of the Bay of Islands.
I cannot recommend the Baystay highly enough having travell the world and been a B&B proprietor myself.
Warwick Hill

• Stayed January 2009, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paihia
Stay Kerikeri Boutique Apartments and Studios
Morepork Riverside Lodge
Averill Court Motel
Averill Court Motel
#5 of 43 in Paihia

Been to Baystay B&B? Share your experiences!