“Great way to see the Bay of Islands”

The Rock Adventure Cruise
Book In Advance
More Info
US$93.93*
and up
Full-Day Adventure Cruise with Buffet Lunch in...
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Rock Cruises Get on the The Rock NZ boat for the most action-packed Bay of Islands cruise in New Zealand. Come aboard and let the activities begin! an image Activities in the Bay of Islands don't get better than with the Rock Cruises. Our action-packed choice of 3 different adventure-filled Bay of Islands cruises are full of fun activities starting from only $118 per person! That includes fishing, kayaking, snorkelling, hiking, target shooting and star gazing. Of course, you can simply relax, drink in the stunning New Zealand scenery and enjoy the wide variety of wildlife that inhabits this unique region of Northland.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Reviewed 12 March 2012

We had a very small group with a nice mix of ages. I am sure that enhanced the experience for us, since it allowed us to interact a lot with the crew (who were warm and friendly and helpful) and all take part in activities on offer. I can see how this experience would depend on a great crew - it is not a fancy ship, the meals and sleeping arrangements are pretty basic. A great crew can make or break your experience. We got lucky.
I really think to get the most out of a visit to the Bay of Islands, you need to get out on to the water, among the islands.

All reviews
in 21 reviews
"car ferry"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed 12 March 2012

Save your money! I was so looking forward to Rock the Boat, but it turned out to be a huge disappointment. The crew was lazy and rude (especially Ben) and hardly interacted with us. We didn't really do anything that was advertised, 10 minute kayak excursion is not "kayaking." Also, no mention, or even attempt to FIND dolphins was made, even though they advertise one of their activities as "swimming with dolphins." All in all, wish I could have my money and my weekend back.

2  Thank hallie l
overnightcruiser, Owner at The Rock Adventure Cruise, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2012

Hi Hallie, Thank you for your feedback regarding our cruise. I am very sorry to hear that our cruise did not live up to your expectations. Unfortunately in this case I believe your information about the cruise to be incorrect. I personally do the marketing for our boat and no where do we advertise swimming with dolphins as part of our activities. We do however advertise a number of activities. I have reviewed the log from this weekend to check that all activities were completed as advertised and the dusk fishing, night kayaking, snorkeling, island visit as well as the opportunity to kayak to the island during our 22 hour cruise were offered to all the guests onboard. I am so sorry you missed out on all these activities so I will be following up with our crew regarding this. I am concerned to hear about your feedback with our crew and will be discussing this with them as normally (as you can see from other reviews) our crew are considered fantastic by our guests. Should you wish to get in contact with me directly I would be happy to discuss this further with you. Kind regards, Sarah Greener

Reviewed 10 March 2012

very good value.
lots of activities (fishing, snorkeling, shooting, sunbathing, visiting...).
good food (could be fresh fruits for breakfast, and more fish for diner though).
great participating smiling crew (apart from the dreadlocks captain who does not talk nor says hello back, but will leave NZ soon so good bye !).
a bit more sightseeing on 1 island of the bay would have been better (as it is the purpose of the cruise), though where we stopped was the best spot for the view.

Hi Jean Phillippe, Thanks so much for your review! We are so glad you had a great time. We rely on our guests and hopefully their good fishing luck to provide fish for dinner so we know the fish is super fresh... And of course because it tastes that much better when you catch it! Like the idea of fresh fruit for breakfast and I will certainly look into that as an option as we start to review our menus over the winter. We do stop at just one island on the cruise to ensure guests have the longest possible time to explore or relax. We have in the past stopped at two islands but found that we were wasting time traveling and transferring guests rather than soaking up the views or some rays. We have also spoken to Adam about the lost smile and we are pretty sure it is firmly back in place for his last month with us onboard The Rock. Thanks again for your review. Safe Travels, Sarah and Jonny

Reviewed 9 March 2012

This trip was great. I had reservations to begin with because i thought it might be full of young people (Kiwi Experience Bus), but i was surprised that it wasn't, and there were a wide mixture of ages, couples, people travelling on their own, families, which was cool.
Also i think it's a great way if your on a budget, as you get to do loads of activities on and off the boat.
The staff were great, they really took the time to learn everyones name, and have a good chat with everyone, and not leave anyone out.
Would definitely recommend this trip to not only people who are travelling on their own, but even couples as you get to meet loads of different people.

See more reviews
Reviewed 8 March 2012

We really enjoyed this cruise, the crew were really friendly and helpful. The weather was not that great but to be honest just chuck on a rain jacket and do it all anyway! We kayaked and snorkelled in the rain and it was actually clearer water than I have ever experienced, with really friendly fish that will feed out of your hand if you break open the sea urchins on the bottom of the sea. The food was great and although the rooms were small there was no reason to hang out in there except to sleep! Drinks were really good value for money. The toilets were a bit small but this was understandable. Tip: shower before you board and don't bother having another until after you disembark, you're just going to jump in the sea anyway!

Thank you so much for your review. We have not yet worked out how to control the weather up here so we LOVE it when guests come on who just want to try everything no matter the weather. We hope the rest of your time in NZ was just as great and that one day you do get to experience a sunny trip in the Bay of Islands, hopefully with The Rock. Safe Travels, Sarah and Jonny