“Awesome crew, awesome dives”
Review of Paihia Dive

Paihia Dive
More attraction details
Owner description: Paihia Dive in the Bay of Islands is the Far North of New Zealand's premier dive centre and it is our great pleasure to show you all the underwater wonders of this beautiful part of NZ. We offer trips to the spectacular Rainbow Warrior - the jewel of the north aboard our fully equipped dive RIB 'Aka Maru', which takes only 7 minutes from the shore to reach the dive site.Dive The HMNZS Canterbury, New Zealand’s last Frigate to be purpose sunk for diving. Sunk almost 5 years ago, she is covered in jewel anemones and sponges. This wreck is massive and well worth diving!Dive the Bay of Islands with the longest running dive charter operation. Paihia Dive has been taking divers under since 1978, and Craig has been diving in the Bay for 25 years. For a true local experience join Paihia Dive for a day diving. Learn to dive with the best! Paihia Dive is a PADI 5 Star Resort. All our dive courses are taught by experienced instructors, and the classes are nice and small. Start your Open Water Course today!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 26 March 2014

My wife and I went on two dives with Paihia Dive - a reef dive and the Canterbury wreck dive. We came to Bay of Islands by cruise ship, and were picked up promptly by Jacob after coming by tender boats. We were promptly fitted for all the gear - which were in fine working condition. As we were not advanced open water certified, we were able to do the coursework through the shop for the deep dive to complete that portion of the certification. After all of the gear was packed, we walked to the boat, as the dock was about half a block away from the shop. The dives were amazing, despite only having 5-10 meters of visibility due to a recent cyclone. We especially enjoyed the Canterbury wreck dive and were able to swim in the ship's bridge, along its halls, and gaze at large schools of fish swimming nearby. The crew were very helpful with preparing and breaking down the equipment. They were knowledgeable and clearly enjoyed their jobs, as they made sure that our trip was as fun and memorable as possible. Our two sisters also came on the trip, without open water certification, and were able to go on a guided discover scuba dive up to 12 meters - which they enjoyed a lot as well. We came back to Paihia in time to walk around the small quaint town before we had to board the tender boat back to our ship. All in all, a very smooth and pleasant experience.

1  Thank wayneslee

Reviewed 25 March 2014

I went to Pahia Dive for my PADI Advanced Open Water certification. I only had a couple of dives before (7 to be precise), so I was still a little anxious about the dives, especially considering a first deep dive, and a first wreck dive (NZ Canterbury). To overcome my anxiety, I need a team that is both serious (to reassure me), and friendly (to help me not focus too much on useless fear). The team I dove with was perfect for that, highly professional, helpful and understanding (really important point !). I still need four dives to be able to obtain an equivalence with the French SCUBA system, and I will definitely try to dive with them again. During the second days, all anxiety has been lost, and I was one of the first to want to jump into the water ;-) So they have been successful. Congratulation.

1  Thank Raphael_m_waikato
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Did two dives in a day, one on a reef and another on The Rainbow Warrior wreck. The staff were incredibly friendly and knowledgeable. All equipment was good quality and in top condition. The trip was great fun and the provided packed lunch was excellent.

1  Thank aggroman4130
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Everything about this group highlights its personal service. They have small groups for diving and handle all the outfitting with the diver in mind. This is not usually the case with larger operations. We also drove from Paihia to Matauri Bay for the Rainbow Warrior wreck, arriving before the larger operations with long boat rides. Our small group had the wreck to ourselves. Then we breaked for lunch on a lovely beach, followed by a nice long reef dive around the Cavallis. We returned the same way. Everyone who works for Paihia Dive is knowledgeable about the marine life and very dedicated to individual experiences. I highly recommend using this group when diving in the area.

1  Thank AdventurePhiles
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Big thanks to the super team at Paihia Dive. We had two awesome days diving with them on the Rainbow Warrior, the Canterbury and a couple of reefs. Thanks to Ben, Stu, Jacob and Craig for looking after us so well. Lots of laughs, great diving, and a welcome packed lunch on an uninhabited island. Thanks to Craig for personally looking after the third member of our gang who was nervous at doing her first post-OW dives, and doing her Deep Dive. She was in safe hands and had the best experience.! We will definitely dive with Paihia Dive again if in NZ, and would recommend them to everyone.

2  Thank Suzanne G