“Fantastic Fish and Chips - And Great Setting”
Review of Shippey's - CLOSED

Shippey's
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 8 July 2014

My husband and I ate here with friends for dinner. The restaurant is set in a ship that sits near to the bridge at Waitangi. As it was winter we were taken down in the ship where there is a bar area, large tv and tables. Unique setting that was very well set up. We all ordered the fish and chips that we found to be one of the best fish and chip meals we had all had. Large portions of fish that was very fresh. Salad also was great, also very fresh and the dressing was sooo good! You can chose several homemade sauces to have with the fish. The owner was very informative and gave great service. Even showing us the top deck of the restaurant that is open in warmer weather and giving us a bit of history about the ship that dates back to the 1800's. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone travelling to Paihia. The prices are also excellent.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

We stopped for lunch at Shippey's and enjoyed some oysters, and fish and chips. The fish and chips were very well done, and we really enjoyed our meal. It is definitely not the cheapest fish n chip shop in the world, but the prices were still quite reasonable the quality was great.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

I went with my son for a basic cheapish meal on the last day of our trip to the Bay of Islands. We were pleasantly suurprised and had an excellent meal. I had a starter of the most huge delicious oysters I've had in years (and I have had many around the world). I then had the Dory which they offered to pan fry and it was excellent. My son had a the sea chowder and declared that also excellent. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and we just wish we had gone there every night. Nothing pretentious - basic setting - but a good evening out on this converted boat.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Good old fish 'n chips served her in a fun setting ... no frills and well priced.
Highlight was the sunset .

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Having enjoyed great fish and chips all around New Zealand we were disappointed with our fish here at Shippey's which was too wet and made the batter and the chips soggy. The worst we had in our whole trip.