I was tired ... I mean, really, really tired ... and I needed a good rest.
Somewhere quiet where I wouldn't hear the noise of traffic or people yelling at each other.
"That's easy," you say, "just climb up to the top of Everest." Oh, did I mention it had to be easy to get to, not break the bank AND still provide me with million-dollar views?
We found this ... and more ... at Cook's Lookout Motel near Paihia in New Zealand's winterless north. For me and my wife, the leisurely Monday-morning drive up from Auckland was no hassle at all -- only a few hours' leisurely driving to get there.
When we got there, we found Norm and Shelagh very friendly and the booking-in process quick and efficient.
Then we went to our unit. And, wow, what a view!! Situated high up, we could look down over the water to Waitangi and all the way to Russell in the distance. And at night, with the lights reflecting off the water, it was just as stunningly beautiful as in daytime.
And it is really true (at least for our unit, I'm not sure how many others) that you can wake up and see the ocean from your pillow.
The absence of noise was so enjoyable that I'll go back to Cook's Lookout even if it were just for the peace and quiet. Hearing and seeing the birds outside our unit was our souls' delight.
Another thing that was an absolute delight for us was the fact that the whole property (not only the units, but also the grounds) are completely smoke-free. This, plus the views and the promise of a quiet, restful stay, was that clinched it for us.
Having never been there before, we obviously didn't really know what to expect. But we were very happy to find that Cook's Lookout Motel was exactly what we had hoped for. Our four nights there came to an end way too quickly, and we have already promised ourselves that we will go back soon.
If you love a quiet place with views to die for, and you're not a smoker, go there. I'm sure you'll be just as happy as we were.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Quiet, spectacular location with Million Dollar Views. Studio, 1 and 2 Bedroom Apartments all upgraded with new kitchens and bathrooms, most with stunning ocean views. Totally smoke-free property - no smoking in Buildings OR Grounds. Large solar-heated saltwater swimming pool, trampoline, BBQ, guest laundry, tour desk. FREE Wireless broadband internet access to all units. FREE DVD library & Book Exchange. 4 minutes drive to town centre, 3 minutes to beach. Secure parking outside all units. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Ebookers, Agoda, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Cook's Lookout Motel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cook`s Lookout Hotel Paihia
- Cooks Lookout Hotel
- Cooks Lookout Paihia
- Cook's Lookout Motel Paihia, Bay Of Islands, New Zealand