“Great Place to Stay”

Cook's Lookout Motel
Ranked #2 of 43 Hotels in Paihia
Reviewed 24 March 2009

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay. I had booked 2 apartments, one for my family of 4 and one for my mother and friend. Norm and Shelagh were very generous and upgraded my mother and friend from the smaller apartment to a larger one beneath ours to make our stay easier for us. The apartments were lovely, well equipped and very clean. Norm and Shelagh were great hosts and very helpful with information about the local area and booking day trips. The views are great and my teenage boys loved the heated pool. Only a short drive from town and very peaceful. Would highly recommend this accommodation especially for families.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 20 March 2009

View terrific but in my opinion the accommodation needs updating. The shower was difficult to regulate and without my touching anything just went cold. If you want to go to restaurants you will need to drive into town. Norman and Sheila were helpful with their advice on tours etc, although the cost of $1 to ring a free phone no. seems excessive as does the deposit in advance of 50% of your planned stay.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
cookslookout, Owner/Manager at Cook's Lookout Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2009

Guests usually come to us BECAUSE we are off the beaten track! We are exactly 4 MINUTES DRIVE from the busy town centre, which is why we have such magnificent, elevated views and a QUIET, traffic-noise free location.
It depresses me that guests who are with us for 4 days and believe they have a problem would not mention it to us at the time so we could investigate it, but are quite prepared to write about it on TripAdvisor 8 days after they have left us! The shower is 2 years old, has been thoroughly checked and is working normally.

Reviewed 18 March 2009

We stayed a Cooks Lookout for 5days,at the end of a 3 wk tour around NZ. Our host Shelagh and Norm were so welcoming (very patient with my children (8&9). Shelaugh and Norm we very knowlegdeable about the local area, were able to book tours and give good recommendation on things.
The 2 bed unit we stayed in was EXTREMELY clean and tidy, the cooking facilities were good and we even had a 4 ring hob. There was a small outside private patio- with a large table and chairs- so we were able eat outside and enjoy the superb views over the Bay of Island..
There was a large BBQ for the guest to use, which was close to the very large heated swimming pool (32C). The pool was great with stunning views over the Bay of Islands.
A supermarket was a short drive away- with Piahia being only a few K's away.
Cooks Lookout has the best of both worlds- great views, tranquil, yet close to all amenities. It would appeal to everyone, apart from Smokers- as it is a No Smoking Zone.
We had a very relaxing time here- thoughly recommend!!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 March 2009

Just came back today from a three day stay at the Cooks, and it was great.

As on their website the view really is that good and more! From our studio (even sitting on our beds) we looked straight out at the ocean and the surrounding green lush mangroves and bush. I found staying there, you had the best of both worlds, it was a five minute drive to the main centre and the beach, but after you had finished whatever actitivites you had to do, you then could drive back to the Cooks and be perched up on the hill with this fantastic view, it was very peaceful. Whilst my father swam in the beach, I preferred to swim in their heated pool, which is a great blue colour, and large size, from the deck chairs you again could get some of that fantastic view.

Our studio was very modern, shower had great water pressure, and kitchen was modern and clean, beds comfy and good size tv, nice little deck to sit outside.

When I booked I hadnt taken note of the cooking facilities available in our room, which was great, and although we arent travellers to usually cook on vacation, we did buy breakfast and cook it each morning which was good value.

Norm was a great host...we had already worked out what we wanted to do, so he left it to us.

Would definately stay there, when we go back

• Stayed: March 2009
1  Thank myaLondon
Reviewed 7 March 2009

Norm and Shelagh made us very welcome and we enjoyed our three day stay at Cooks Lookout. Great local fish and chips!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 February 2009

We stayed in Cooks Lookout in February. The owners were very helpful and friendly. They immediately booked a dolphin watch tour for us and arranged pickup from the hotel, perfect. The views are magnificent. The balcony in our room was really small and we overlooked the pool which was didn't do the view good. The rooms are all right, but don't expect the latest and greatest. I certainly missed the possibility to close the bathroom door. Pool was great to swim in.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank nztravels_2009
cookslookout, Owner/Manager at Cook's Lookout Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2009

Both of our Ocean-View One Bedroom Apartments have sliding doors on the bathrooms which can be closed by sliding them! These two Apartments are described in ALL our advertising as having a "Superb Ocean View OVER SWIMMING POOL from lounge and balcony". If guests have read the room description when booking, the swimming pool should not come as a surprise to them.

Reviewed 23 February 2009

Single female travelling alone recommends this hotel!

I decided to stop in New Zealand prior to going to Australia for a friend's wedding.

After a long day of driving from Auckland, I arrived at Paihia to take pictures and continue on the drive. After walking around, I decided to look for a place to stay but wasn't sure as I didn't research beforehand. Thankfully, the guest centre by the dock was staffed with helpful people.

As I was travelling alone, the representative recommended Cooks Lookout as Norm and his wife would, "take wonderful care" of me.

They phoned the hotel but Norm and Sheila (sp?) were out having dinner with guests who were leaving. They told them where to find the keys for my room and I can just make myself at home.

I decided to order in and when the delivery person came, Norm came with him to make sure everything in the hotel was to my liking. After a brief conversation, Norm invited me down to the office to discuss possible trips after I was done eating.

It was my intention to stay one night and continue on. However, Norm didn't advise driving up to 90 Mile Beach in my little rental and arranged a bus to pick me up the next morning for a tour. He was right! Taking a tour allowed me to check out the sites instead of just driving. I also stayed on for 3 nights and used Paihia as my base camp.

He also arranged the next day a trip around the Bay of Islands by boat to check out the dolphins. The boat charter was late in returning me to the hotel and I ran into Norm by the docks who gladly gave me a life back to the hotel.

On top of that, he arranged a ticket to the evening show at the Waitaingai Treaty Grounds. I highly recommend that as well.

As you can see from the attached pictures the view was gorgeous.

Norm and his wife were absolutely wonderful and took great care to make sure I enjoyed my stay. When I was leaving, he even drew a map of a different route to take and recommended stops on my way back to Auckland. I was able to visit off the beaten path museums that I otherwise would have driven by.

I can't say enough of my experience in New Zealand and especially Paihia, thanks to Norman and Sheila.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paihia
Sea Spray Suites - Heritage Collection
Anchorage Motel
Anchorage Motel
#5 of 43 in Paihia
Kingsgate Hotel Autolodge Paihia
The Waterfront Suites - Heritage Collection
Edgewater Palms Apartments
Duke of Marlborough Hotel

Been to Cook's Lookout Motel? Share your experiences!