The motel is in a quiet, peaceful location, not far from Haruru Falls and Mount Bledisloe viewpoint, and about 5 minutes drive up the hill out of Paihia town. Its elevated position gives the property absolutely stunning views towards Paihia and the Bay of Islands. The motel units are built up the hill, with a steep drive up to each block. We stayed in Unit 3, in the topmost block. Access to our parking space was a little awkward, requiring a bit of careful manoeuvring to get the car in and out! There is a food shop nearby.
Our unit had its own outside deck area with patio furniture, and a beautiful view over Paihia bay area. WIFI Broadband was available in the unit for a fee. The property has a solar-heated, salt-water swimming pool, although we did not use it.
Our unit was spacious, spotlessly clean, recently refurbished and tastefully decorated. It included a dining area with table and chairs, a small kitchenette with microwave, fridge and two-ring hob, and an ensuite shower room. There was also a flat-screen TV high up on the wall above the bed. The floor-to-ceiling windows/doors on two sides of the unit made the wonderful ocean view visible from the bed. Our only (minor) niggle was that control of the shower water temperature was a bit erratic.
The motel owners, Norm and Shelagh (originally from Merseyside in the UK) were extremely friendly and welcoming, showing us personally to our unit and explaining all the motel's facilities, as well as the sites and amenities in the local area. They helped us choose our Bay of Islands cruise and booked it for us, including motel pick-up/drop-off. Our unit was serviced promptly and efficiently on each day of our stay.
Overall, we thought Cooks Lookout was a comfortable motel, giving reasonable value for money. We felt that there was a price differential of NZ$30-40 above other comparable properties we stayed in, but the quiet, elevated location and stunning views justify the premium.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Quiet, spectacular location with Million Dollar Views. Studio, 1 and 2 Bedroom Apartments all upgraded with new kitchens and bathrooms, most with stunning ocean views. Totally smoke-free property - no smoking in Buildings OR Grounds. Large solar-heated saltwater swimming pool, trampoline, BBQ, guest laundry, tour desk. FREE Wireless broadband internet access to all units. FREE DVD library & Book Exchange. 4 minutes drive to town centre, 3 minutes to beach. Secure parking outside all units. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Ebookers and HotelQuickly so you can book your Cook's Lookout Motel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cook`s Lookout Hotel Paihia
- Cooks Lookout Hotel
- Cooks Lookout Paihia
- Cook's Lookout Motel Paihia, Bay Of Islands, New Zealand