There really needs to be a picture of this motel (I will put some of mine on) as it really is special.
We stayed in motel unit 3, the one on the web site with the view from the bed. Top of the hill...
It was fabulous. There was just me and hubby for 3 nights and to sit out (although then you are overlooked by the unit just behind...but when they were out that was ok..both units share a deck) on the deck and watch the bay was pretty special.
The view down is of waitangi, and parts of piahia although the motel is 4 kms to the town ..3 kms to the beach. You can not walk..you have to drive down if you want to swim etc. You are about 2 mins from Hururu falls (which are really just some rapids) and 5 mins to piahia
HOWEVER because of that, you dont hear any traffic noise...just cicardas and birds and you have the best view in the world from your bed (which is not in anyway overlooked!)
There is a woolworths in paihia and a petrol station etc so buying supplies is easy. We took the boat over to russell and looked up at kerikeri (going to live there!)
Hubby went on a kings bus to cape rianga for the day and I spent it in the motel pool which was great. A lot of older people staying (ie no teenagers and 18-30 yr olds) very quiet...just right!
the odd child..trampoline area is nice next to the pool and bbq, would make a great family base.
didnt use the spa.
weather was nice (13th jan) 25 deg and cloud to keep the sun from stinging your skin.
It was one of the nicest places in the north island I have been too and will be back to stay at the cooks as that has the best view in the world!!
Piahia reminded me of northern italy, southern france..you expected people to speak in a foreign language. The view is like those islands off the italian coast..not as big as the marlborough sounds, but very similar. The beach is not sydney, but nice...browny sand and russell is stone.(russell is like akaroa)
Good place to go and chill while still BEING in NZ.
The weather really helps esp if you are from Christchurch. It was nice to feel warm all the time.
Thinking of immigrating up there..as hubby is a teacher. watch this space..watch out Norm, I am coming to work for you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Quiet, spectacular location with Million Dollar Views. Studio, 1 and 2 Bedroom Apartments all upgraded with new kitchens and bathrooms, most with stunning ocean views. Totally smoke-free property - no smoking in Buildings OR Grounds. Large solar-heated saltwater swimming pool, trampoline, BBQ, guest laundry, tour desk. FREE Wireless broadband internet access to all units. FREE DVD library & Book Exchange. 4 minutes drive to town centre, 3 minutes to beach. Secure parking outside all units. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Odigeo, Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Ebookers, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, HRS and HotelQuickly so you can book your Cook's Lookout Motel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cook`s Lookout Hotel Paihia
- Cooks Lookout Hotel
- Cooks Lookout Paihia
- Cook's Lookout Motel Paihia, Bay Of Islands, New Zealand