“ok”

and 1 more site!
The Mousetrap Backpackers
Ranked #10 of 31 Speciality Lodging in Paihia
Reviewed 3 April 2013

I stayed here twice - first time in a twin room at the back of the property I think, this was fine.
My second stay was on a Fri and Sat night ..... whilst the hostel operates a quiet policy, the surrounding hostels/bars clearly don't. Didn't get much sleep due to the noise after 11pm, room was at the front of the property, it was too hot to sleep with all the windows shut. I had ear plugs with me - definitely needed. I was hopeful given other reviews about it not being a party hostel that I'd be ok over a weekend stay. Unfortunately the Kiwi Experience bus was in at the same time, and 2 of their members were in our room on the Sat night, 1 of whom was up for most of the night and then they both set alarms for 6am. I appreciate there's not much the hostel can do in this regard, it was just a shame to have had so little sleep for 2 nights running.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 1 April 2013

I visited with two friends and stayed in one of the smaller dorm rooms. The hostel was very clean and the hosts Nikki and Jake were welcoming. There was plenty of room, with two kitchens and two lounges, and free wifi, bbq, bikes and more.

This was a great option for us as we enjoyed being able to visit our friends at Base, across the road, and then retreat to a slightly quieter, much nicer hostel when we felt like it. Not a party hostel but definitely a fantastic stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 March 2013

My husband and I spent 5 nights in the Mousetrap's studio apartment a few streets away from the hostel and were very pleased with our accommodation and the friendly service from owner Jake.

The location was away from the hub of Paihia up the hill and afforded us peace and quiet all day and night. This suited us perfectly and we were only 5 minute's walk from The Mousetrap itself and the bars and restaurants nearby. Likewise, the beach was close at hand. Add a few minutes for the return journey to climb the not so steep hill and very steep driveway!

We had excellent facilities for the price - a well equipped kitchenette, balcony with table and chairs, good water pressure and plenty of hot water, couch, wardrobe, TV and double bed. we also had access to all the hostel facilities such as free internet (50mb per person per day) and free bike hire.

Overall we had a great stay and would definitely come again.

Room Tip: The studio is pefect if you want hostel prices without the hostel noise.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 January 2013

Nice but the camera's are a bit off putting all the time as i have said okay but there is better i have found out the i moved for my last 3 days but was lucky enough through word and mouth to find somewhere i felt better in

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 November 2012

Very clean and the bed was comfy. View from the communal area and the balcony was lovely. Staff were pleasant and efficient. Didn't use the kitchen facilities but other guests seemed to be enjoying them... couldn't use the shower as I didn't have a towel :(

No lamp just a weak main light in the room which made it a little dingy. No towel provided.
This was also the most expensive hostel per night I have booked into in NZ but not as nice as others. Paihia on the other hand is the prettiest place and the locals are lovely...

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 August 2012

I have just spent another beautiful 2 days at the Mousetrap in Paihia, this time with my wife and child. I have been visiting for over 16 years, and have never been disappointed! Jake (the owner) is an excellent host with tons of travel experience. The backpacker is constantly being upgraded, is clean and unique. There are always new people to meet, and stories to swap. The best backpacker in NZ for independent travellers.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 August 2012

We loved it here.. The rooms were beautiful, great kitchen/communal areas, BBQ facilities on the terrace for summer nights. Free bike hire, tennis, wifi. Paihia was really quiet at this time, but we still met some cool people at the hostel. There are also a few bars just across the road :) Definitely recommend!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends