“Cool place to hangout”

and 1 more site!
The Mousetrap Backpackers
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Nice place to stay a few days, the balconies were a great place to sit on the evening and watch the sunset. The rooms were nice and spacious and the facilities were excellent. Hostel is a great place to relax in.

• Stayed: April 2014

Reviewed 30 April 2014

The two owners are very friendly and helpful. The atmosphere in the hostel is really good, relaxed and friendly people. After 11 pm it's quite, which is really good. The rooms are spacious and clean. Every room (kitchen, lounges, outdoor places, dorms) is really cozy. Big lockers in the room are excellent. Bathrooms are a little old, but always quite clean. There are free bikes and there's a tennis yard with free rackets. NO free wifi, but that didn't bother me, cause I always go to the library for that. Hostle is near to town center and really close to the beach. Restaurants and bars nearby. I had a very pleasent stay at this hostel and would recommend it!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Mousetrap backpackers has been by far the most chilled out and lovely hostel I've visited. The communal areas and balcony are great, it is easy to meet new people and has a great little vibe.

The owners are fantastic, are always happy to help, and have a set up that does not appeal to heavy drinkers which gives the place a real nice character!

A perfect location and very fair prices, easpecially when using a BBH card. I will miss this place.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

As soon as I arrived, I have been welcomed by the two owners, that then helped me not feeling lost in Paihia by giving me some helpful advice about the town. Then, I have been guided to my bedroom, that was next to the main room (very pleasant room) and the balcony (perfect for a morning tea during sun rise). I really feel "at home" there, and I enjoy the fact that, when some customers were making noise around 11pm, one owner kindly asked them to be more considerate for the other. I then slept perfectly for the three nights I was there, even when I needed to wake up early. Perfect time there !

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

Arriving from the awful base backpackers in Auckland, landing here was like stepping into paradise! The bed was comfortable, the kitchen was clean and the hostel is just a couple of minutes from the seafront. It was nice to be given a voucher for a bit of internet usage but the internet was quite unreliable and I ended up having to use my cellular data anyway a lot of the time. The lockers were wonderful, easily big enough to fit a big backpack, small backpack and more! It was a shame that the bathrooms were so far from the dorms out the front but I gather that some rooms have their own bathrooms. Also not ideal to have sinks, showers and toilets all in separate rooms, all were clean though and there was a bit of space to get changed within the shower cubicles.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank HappyDaysOnHoliday
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Some very good and pretty bad points with regards to this hostel.

The rooms:
A nice room, although the double bed is pressed against the wall which can be annoying when you have to clamber over your partner! The downside for us was that we stayed directly behind the kitchen and it was so loud! To the point where sleep was sometimes impossible. Also, they appear to make a huge deal with regards to cleanliness which is a big plus, until you see the toenail on your bedside table as you first enter the room... We didn't want to complain because we were friends with some of the cleaners!

Bathroom and kitchens:
The nice part about this hostel was the ability to use a bathroom which included a sink, shower and toilet. If this was in use you had to use the separate showers downstairs but they were clean and private. The kitchens were absolutely tiny and it was almost impossible for more than one person to cook at a time! Storage apace was adequate.

The surrounding area was lovely but as most of the hostels are on the same street, it is loud until around midnight and then if you're unfortunate enough to receive our room you are kept up by anybody venturing into the kitchen. They offer discounts on trips and you get some free WiFi which is good.

The biggest downside to our stay was being treated like naughty schoolchildren. Whilst it is perfectly ok for everybody to be loud until 11pm (including the owners children running riot - which was funny) it is against the rules to play very low music at 5.30pm whilst cooking dinner alone in the kitchen next to the room we were staying in. One night our two friends were 'chased' out of the building to ask if they had washed their pots because they were 'sick of washing our dishes' - which is probably quite annoying but we're all adults! The thing that annoyed us most was that one of our friends baked a loaf of bread late at night whilst we were all hanging out. We tried to take it out of the tray whilst it was still hot but it wasn't happening! He decided to leave it until morning as he had to be up for work at seven am.. The hostel owner had scraped the loaf into the bin and washed the dish without asking anybody about it at the time. I think that is awful.

Location is great and the price was in line with the other hostels.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the studio a few days ago. It's not in the same building/ residence as the mousetrap backpackers - just back up the hill a little bit. The studio is small and basic but had everything we needed since we didn't intend to spend too much time there. The bed was super comfy and I had great sleeps in it during our three night stay. There was no tv connection (that we could establish); only DVD- that would be my only fault. Towels and dishes were a little musty smelly but a wash or airing sorted that out. Overall we were very happy with our stay and glad we didn't pick base backpackers as original intended- there didn't seem to go to sleep there!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple