“Clean hostel”

Peppertree Lodge
Ranked #26 of 30 Speciality Lodging in Paihia
“Clean hostel”
Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

Nice clean hostel at a convenient place in Paihia. Friendly staff, clean kitchen and dorms. Very nice facilities, even though I didn't use them in my short time there.
The one thing that I didn't like it's that it's pretty noisy. I was unlucky to sleep next to the toilets and the handdryer is really loud. Next to the I could also here the travellers in the room above mine come home. Lots of stomping sheen they came in. Maybe I was just unlucky with the room. Would come back though but would ask for a different room I'd I get the same one!

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
ptl-nz, Owner at Peppertree Lodge, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
unfortunately the hand dryer does sound very loud at night, probably when the night is still and no other noise is around, not sure if there is any thing we can do to muffle it, but will certainly speak to the suppliers in regard to this. Thankyou for bringing this to my attention, and am pleased for the most part you enjoyed your stay,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I have been to Paihia 4 times so far and usually book very short-term. Because of that each stay was in a different accommodation, so I am comparing to the other places.

I stayed in a double room with shared bathroom (cannot comment on other rooms)

Positive:
- the room was quite big and even had a balcony (great value)
- the living room and kitchen were quite spacious and inventory was in good condition

Negative:
- the room was facing towards Kings Road and there was VERY loud music from the bar on the other side of the street... at 8pm...at10pm...at midnight. Not sure if it stopped at all...
- the "service" was not existing. I got the keys and that's it.
- I have to say that the shared bathroom was not acceptable for me at all. It was one shared bathroom for all guests (men and women) together, thus it was always crowded, not really clean (hundreds of dead flies lying around), no paper towels,... felt like a container bathroom at a cheap campground (and even they would have split bathrooms for men and women)

Overall:
Compared to the rest of New Zealand this is a reasonably good accommodation. Within Paihia there are many better places. I personally cannot recommend it.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing Kings Road or you get all the noise from across the road
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
ptl-nz, Owner at Peppertree Lodge, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
You came in for one night on the first long weekend for summer, the whole town was 100% booked and a lot of folk on those weekends come in to the diners and bars. So yes there would have been a fair bit of street noise. The lodge was built over 25 years ago and the shared bathroom would have been busy, we are unable to reconfigure the lodge to put in single sex facilities.We do check it at 8pm and at the end of the night (10.30PM), its fully cleaned between 10am and 12pm, so it should have been clean. The little midges are at this time of year are attracted by both the light and the steam from the showers, and only come at night. you booked in at 6.30pm and would have been checking out by 10am, there are no tours running at that time and most folk who stay 1 night are either heading north in the morning, or heading south, so I am not sure what else you were expecting, we are disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay.
Reviewed 7 October 2013

2-5 September
I spent three nights here whilst travelling alone in Paihia, Cape Reinga and Bay of Islands.
I stayed in a 4 bed mixed dorm. The rooms are basic but the shower was good, hot water and the heater in the room kept me warm, for a dorm room it was pretty spacious. I shared with 2 guys for the first two nights then had it to myself on the last night!
The guy working on the desk was awesome, forget his name, but he was great at helping me sort out my trips around the area.
Defo book your tours when you get there, plenty to pick from and you get good advice.
The kitchen/recreation area is huge and really well equipped.
5 mins walk to the Pier maximum, great location, great atmosphere.

Room Tip: My room was next to the lounge right next to the tv....perhaps request a room that isn't next to...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
ptl-nz, Owner at Peppertree Lodge, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Thankyou for the kind review, we are pleased you enjoyed your stay, I trust you will come back again, have a safe time for the rest of your journey
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Okay dont stay at a lot of backpackers but we just lucked out at this one got told by someone we meet in wangara if thats the spelling anyway greeted by nice bloke gave us the rundown on all the things to do in Paihia and maps also then ws taken to great 4 bed dorm with own toilet which was great as we had booked a 8 bed dorm the Aussie bloke told us straight away we have been upgraded he was so nice, we eventually after thinking about his combo idea and the value in that price plus we got some money back & some free wifi for booking it there all was sweet as they seem to say around these parts plus rooms clean, kitchen big and roomy with all the things need to cook even though we only eat breaky there so overall i would say stay here for the price the feel of the place and the location it was just a very very pleasent suprise to get this kind of feeling at a backpackers KEEP IT GOING PEPPERTREE LODGE

Room Tip: If you dont get an upgrade like we did pay the differnce and stay in the 4 bed dormy with own toilet...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
ptl-nz, Owner at Peppertree Lodge, responded to this review, 8 August 2013
I am glad you enjoyed your stay at our hostel, in the quiet periods we upgrade when we can, as this is usually a pleasant surprise for the guests. Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for the rating. Hope you come back and stay again with us........ regards bryan
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed 6 July 2013

Arrived there quite early in the morning but Buck was too kind to let me check in. The hostel was nestled in a quiet street which was just few steps from the beach. The kitchen was well equipped. And so was the lounge where I enjoyed the movies with all other backpackers. It would be much better if the room was cleaner. However, it was pleasant to stay there and I would consider to come back in the future.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
ptl-nz, Owner at Peppertree Lodge, responded to this review, 10 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review my hostel, keeping the hostel clean is 100% important to us, and we will endeavour to up the standard every day, I am pleased there were more positives in regard to the facilities we offer, and thank you for taking the time to review. regards bryan
New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Okay arrived late on the night bus at 9.15pm they stayed open for me which was very nice of them it was a Monday night and the Person at the front desk was exceptional with the knowlegde of Paihia and all the Tours which i booked of him later its was such a pleasent way to start my stay at a backpackers that had free bikes, kayaks ( that was a thrilling time ) they said they had DVD'S for use not 1 or 50 but over 270 and all free i had fun at night's with my pc in my warm comfy bed watching them if i wasnt out having a drink in 1 of the neat places on the street the Peppertree was right on overall one of the best backpackers ever stayed at with clean rooms, clean linen and kitchen from heaven at a backpackers you all know what i mean heaps of room yes room ill stop there again oneday but a thanks to my new Aussie mate there got all the moves when selling me the tours THANKYOU HEAPS PEPPERTREE L.

Room Tip: Hey baby ask for a bed in the Quad Dorm 4 beds only heaps of room and your own toilet and shower jus...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
ptl-nz, Owner at Peppertree Lodge, responded to this review, 10 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, and I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay, regards bryan
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2013

The Peppertree Lodge Backpackers had this sort of feeling about it as you walked through the guest eating to get to the office and to be greeted by a very nice, helpful & i must say very knowledgable person about the area & all the tours which he sold me a few of but overall he was making you feel at home and was upgraded from a 8 bed dorm to a 4 bed dorm with my own shower and toilet was a great touch so well done to you all at the Peppertree for a wonderful stay was there twice for a few days each time in a 2 week period so i would say to all backpackers stay here as they set a very high standard in clean rooms and lovely open kitchen plan then a huge big TV screen to watch for FREE some of the 200 odd dvd's but hey i could keep going thanks heaps a special thanks to sweet Rosey who help me so much with my tours and to Brian i only meet shortly as he wasnt there but was very helpful with info about the FREE yes FREE again word use of kayaks & bikes will miss this home away from home even though just a shrt time was had but been twice now in a short time bye wave wave wave goodbye

Room Tip: you have to ask for the 4 bed rooms with heaps of space and they have there own toilet and shower it...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
ptl-nz, Manager at Peppertree Lodge, responded to this review, 10 July 2013
thank you for you kind review, hope you will be back one day regards bryan