“Superb Location”

Bay Cabinz Motel
Ranked #23 of 43 Hotels in Paihia
“Superb Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014 via mobile

My husband and I spent five nights here and I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone who was looking for a great location. It's just out of the centre of town and provides some lovely views and just a very short stroll into town. The accommodation is a little dated inside but in all honesty that's not really an issue as the cabins themselves are nice, the owners are really friendly and a great base to explore the Bay. Good laundry room and BBQ area too. I would certainly go back!! Just hope the old ginger cat holds up a little longer! X

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

Booking holiday accommodation online always includes a little doubt but the Bay Cabinz was an excellent choice. Bay Cabinz is smack in the middle of Paihia, about a block back from the waterfront which allowed for great views with peace and quiet. The hosts were very helpful with their local knowledge and booking trips for us. The strange offer of an umbrella on a clear morning was a godsend later that afternoon in Russell when it poured! There was a huge collection of books, games and DVDs to choose from. Our son enjoyed keeping their lovely old cat company in the sun!

Room Tip: We had number 2 which had a sea view across the bay. We also had a large pohutukawa beside our deck...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

To be honest I've been to more scenic places and stayed in more lavish accoms but this spot was magic! We had a romantic getaway in a little kitchenette overlooking the ocean and it was all we could have asked of a couples getaway. Ocean views from the bed and no noise/neighbours to bother us. Bel & Pete even lent us champagne flutes from their own cupboards! It will always be one of my favourite weeks spent relaxing in a beautiful seaside spot and Bay Cabinz Motel played a massive part in shaping that memory.

Room Tip: rooms at the top of the hill have ocean views from bed - you don't even have to get up!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

Comprising a number of separate and self contained cabins offering great views, the accommodation is excellent for either short or long stay visitors. The hosts, Belinda and Peter, are very welcoming and cannot do enough for their guests.
As cabins are on the side of a steep hill they are possibly not ideal for visitors with walking difficulties as most units are accessed by ramps and steps.

Ideal accommodation and we enjoyed our stay very much .... In fact booked in for 2 days, stayed for 3 and wished it was longer.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

I have to say, I was a little unsure about whether I'd made a good choice or not in booking to stay here...however after having stayed at Bay Cabinz in January (bit slow to review I know ) I can now say that I'm very glad we booked here it was definitely the right choice! We had a lovely relaxing stay - the old ginger cat was a delight, he became our 'buddy' while we were there and I was quite sad to leave him! As we were staying in one of the cabins right up the top there were a number of stairs for him to haul himself up (poor thing had been recently beaten up by another cat) so quite often I'd carry him up if I caught him in the act or would take him down when I figured it was close to his 'dinner time' (having two cats we'd left at home I was quite happy to have an adopted 'holiday pet' haha). We had a nice view from our cabin and I enjoyed sitting outside reading (or quickly skipping back inside when it decided to rain a little!). We were just a short stroll away from shops and various restaurants etc so hardly used our rental car at all! Hopefully one day we'll return to Paihia and if we do I will not hesitate to book here again!

Room Tip: We chose high up to get a bit of a view, however if stairs are a bit difficult for you then there ar...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Jervis Bay, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

Belinda and Peter were welcoming and facilitated easy booking, easy check in and the office is open till 9pm.

Cabin 6 is fairly small but cute. High raking ceilings with fan and heaters. Free unlimited wifi. The main room is an L shape with the queen bed in the smaller leg of the L. The bed has a cupboard on one side, on the other about 200mm space to walk down. To watch the tv you have to sit on the bed. Then in the longer section of the L there is the kichen dining area. There is no lounge and no lounge chairs but there are dining chairs. There are two decks facing different directions, one is covered and about 2m wide so would be ok even in rain. There and four deck chairs and two tables. The dining table is set against one wall but is large and there is lots of room to move around the cabin. The decks outside give you even more illusion of space.

The 2nd bedroom fits a single bed snugly with walking room on one side. It has a window but an open section up high on the wall between the main room means there would be no privacy for a third person or a second if you were sharing. The bathroom is long and narrow but the water is hot and unlimited, great pressure, great shower head.

There are windows all around but you can’t see into any other cabin which is pretty incredible and the gardens and trees all around are lovely. From our cabin there are water glimpses if you sort of crane your neck but you are up high and it is a really lovely atmosphere to the whole place so this isn’t a negative in anyway. The sun streams into the small but fully equipped kitchen which has hot plates, microwave and fridge, toaster, kettle etc. There are blinds on every window if you want them. Very, very quiet, only the birds tweeting. Exceptionally clean, including decks and walkways. Nice sheets, good bed, variety of different pillows provided in the room so no trekking to the office for alternatives. Thick large white towels etc and washers (not often provided) replaced when you want. No tissues but soap and shampoo and separate conditioner is provided.

By road it’s about 10 mins walk to the shop and restaurant area in Paihia. But if you walk across the school carpark it is about 4 mins door to door. This didn’t show up on google. Driving its about 2 mins.

Really clean, really nice place would definitely stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

Having checked on Trip Advisor before I booked, this accommodation seemed to be getting thumbs up so I booked.

When I arrived Peter was very friendly when checking me in and suggested some places where I could visit in the area.

I was given cabin 8 which is quite a hike up steps but it was worth it for the view alone! The room was very spacious and all the facilities that I would need (kettle, toaster etc). The room has plenty of windows so it was nice and light and very clean. The bathroom had an excellent shower and the little bedroom was ideal to keep all my belongings in for my duration of the trip.

I highly recommend that if you are in the Paihia area you book one of these cabins - you will not be disappointed!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo