“At last! The perfect business base.”
Review of Pearl of the Bay

Pearl of the Bay
Ranked #9 of 43 Hotels in Paihia
Enniskillen, United Kingdom
“At last! The perfect business base.”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I'm a sales rep who covers an awful lot of kilometres, and Northland is one of my most tiring runs. I spend three days working my way up from Warkworth through Whangarei, up to Kaitaia, back down to Paihia, then back to Auckland. Over many sales trips I have stayed in a large amount of motels, the majority of which were very good, but I need to have that home from home feel because it's a bit of a lonely trek at times. At last I have found the place I have been looking for! So what is it that appeals?

1) The quiet - Paihia is a bustling, beautiful, lively little town, and most of the motels are centred around the action. That's exactly what I don't want - I need peace and quiet and relaxation after a hard day. Make no mistake, Bali Hai is close to everything Paihia has to offer, but it's just far enough away to offer wonderful quiet at night (unlike 90% of motels).

2) The location - the motel offers truly gorgeous, life enhancing views - think a subtropical Tuscan paradise. Very understated, very relaxed, just so very, very beautiful.

3) The rooms - I must admit to being worried about the lack of carpet, but the floors actually enhance the fresh and bright feel of the rooms - they are so thoughtfully fitted out, decorated and finished it is immediately clear that a huge amount of love and effort has gone in to them. I think that dedication was a crucial factor in the homely feeling I experienced. In other words, I felt the room had been made just for me - that's a rare thing.

4) Barbara - I knew from the moment I arrived that I was in good hands! Barbara is a force of nature, buzzing with energy and so keen to make everyone's stay at her motel special. It's obvious that Bali Hai is her passion and her vocation and her attention to detail is reflected in every aspect of the business. The most lovely hostess!

5) The little things - right down to the little proverb printed and left on the towels. Home from home for sure.

In conclusion, Bali Hai is an absolute gem and a fantastic find - while it will no doubt appeal to the tourist, the magical setting is just a pure balm for the weary business traveller. When doing the loop of Northland it makes sense to down tools in Pahia instead of noisy Whangarei, and this is easily the most suitable venue I have experienced on my travels.

I expect to stay here two nights every five weeks from now on - no need to look for anything else.

Room Tip: Perfect for the tired business person. Look no further. (No restaurant, but there's no way I'...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank rconti479
BaliHaiMotelPaihia, Manager at Pearl of the Bay, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Thank you, for such a comprehensive and positive review. Very much appreciated. We are fortunate to have a quiet location on a hill, which gives us different views to anywhere else in town.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We had a memorable two night stay at Bali Hai Motel. Barbara, our hostess was remarkably helpful. The apartment was large, up-to-date and very clean, with a nice kitchen, bathroom and outside private balcony with a nice view to watch the sunset. We used the barbeque grill one night and they provided all the condiments and utensils needed. There are also lots of great restaurants a couple minutes away from the motel. In summary- highly recommended!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
That is a lovely review, thank you very much. Barbara
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2014

The Bali Hai Motel lived up to all our expectations. It was well equipped, clean and comfortable with an excellent shower and bathroom. We found the location quiet and conveniently near to Pahia.
Barbara, our hostess, was very helpful and patient especially when we managed to lock our money, passports and car keys in the safe and then not be able to open it. Thanks again Barbara.
David and Rosemary Morriss
Salisbury UK

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear David & Rosemary ~ thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am glad that we met
your expectations and that you enjoyed your stay. That is very important to me. Best wishes Barbara
Rochester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2014

My friend and I arrived expecting to stay only one night but the welcome was so warm we ended up staying for two. What a great find .. clean, spacious and delightfully fitted out with all you would need. Balcony views and a fab BBQ if required. We drank too many bottles of wine after our days in the sun in the heavenly Northland and the hostess was delightful, helpful and charming. Thank you Barbara and Bali Hai Motel for making our few days with you as special as they were.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
BaliHaiMotelPaihia, Manager at Pearl of the Bay, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Dear Aidan & Paul Thank you for such a great review. I am always delighted when people decide to stay a bit longer. Paihia deserves more than just a one night stay, and it really is the sort of place that if you spend a few days - (at the Bali Hai of course) you really do feel that you
have slowed down the pace and can just relax. Future guests reading reviews, do think about more than one night, wherever you might decide to stay:) Best wishes Barbara
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed a three night stay in one of the studios and considered the accommodation to be very good value for money.
The rooms are large and airy with more than adequate kitchen facilities and the bathroom had recently been refurbished to a very high standard. All rooms have a private balcony with a spectacular view to the west of Paihia - see photos. Other welcome touches include a garaged parking space (which kept the car cool), free wi-fi and laundry facilities (for a small charge) with lots of outdoor drying space.
Barbara is a fabulous host who was both welcoming and knowledgeable - speak to her first if you are considering a dolphin watch trip. The jug of fresh milk brought to our room after a 4 hour drive from Auckland was delightful.
We liked the location too which is a 5 to 10 minute walk from the waterfront so slightly away from the bustle of the town.
Thank you for what was a great start to our trip.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Richard G
Great Pun, Richard...thank you for taking the time to post a review. I hope that you and Blair continued to have a lovely stay in NZ and that the visit to parents went well. I had not considered the undercover parking would keep cars cool, but you are right it would. I hope the journey home went well and hope to see you both on your next visit to Paihia. Best wishes Barbara
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed for three nights in a lovely studio with wonderful views over Te Haumi beach and countryside. Barbara was a wonderful host, who on arrival gave us a map of Paihia,information on where the supermarkets were, where to park and some places to eat. She also provided us with milk and free wifi. There was also a fridge on the back terrace area with butter, sauces, jam,etc etc for people to use free of charge. Nothing was too much trouble, as she even called the kayaking company for us and arranged to pay our toll for the tunnel, on the internet. The studio was very clean and well kept, and we did spend more time than planned in there due to the weather, catching the edge of cyclone Lusi! If was nice to be in somewhere we could make our own food and relax in the evenings. Would definitely recommend you stay here!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
BaliHaiMotelPaihia, Manager at Pearl of the Bay, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Thank you - Kathryn what a lovely review. It is great when people see the little things as adding value.We do try to make people feel that their stay and their time at the motel is special. The wharf is still having a few repairs done in town, after Cyclone Lusi, but thankfully the beaches are starting to look pristine again. ( a lot of seaweed and debris removed ) Best wishes to you both. Barbara
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

I visited Bali Hai with my husband end of December. Our unit had one comfortable bedroom and a living room with a very well equipped kitchen annex. When it was too hot in the sunny balcony we could sit in the backyard where each unit had a table and chairs. It is good that the motel is a little out of busy town (pleasant 15-20 minutes walk on the beach or along the road) so it was quiet at night. Barbara gave us recommendations about possible trips and restaurants in Paihia. She is a very helpful and warm person; you can tell that she loves her job and cares for her guests. We had bad luck with our Bay of Islands cruise: the boat had an engine problem, so after sometime when the crew tried their best to fix it we had to go back to Paihia and were rebooked for the next day. We were compensated for our mishap in the evening: there was the most beautiful sunset from our balcony as we celebrated the end of 2013.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ewa G
Thank you Ewa, I remember talking to you in reception and I am delighted that you have posted a review. It is rare that the boats go technical, and I am glad that a beautiful sun set, enhanced the day for you. Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. Best wishes Barbara