“Poor customer service”
Review of Marlin Court Motel

Marlin Court Motel
Ranked #33 of 43 Hotels in Paihia
Reviewed 14 March 2014

I made a reservation at Marlin Court Motel, for 7 people, three couples and one single, for 3 nights. I requested a two-bedroom unit, and two studios, but as there was only one studio available, Maureen kindly offered a one-bedroom unit at the same rate as a studio. I also asked if a discount was available for the multi booking, and was offered a 10% discount. I accepted this accommodation and rates, which were confirmed by email from Maureen. A few days later, Maureen phoned and asked if the two couples in the two-bedroom unit would be willing to move to two one-bedroom units, as she had a request from a family for the two-bedroom unit, and was trying to please everyone. She offered the two one-bedroom units at the same rate as the two-bedroom unit, which I accepted.
When we arrived to register, we met John at reception, and it appeared he was not familiar with the booking and the rates offered. Maureen arrived, and after she had some terse discussion with John, took over the registration. One of our group offered to put the full charge on her credit card, to make the payment easier, and requested a breakdown of the charges.
However, on checking the credit card receipt the next day, we realised that we had been over charged. We checked with John, who said Maureen had to sort this out, and when we discussed the rates with her about it she became quite brusque. When we returned to reception a short time later with the appropriate credit card for a refund, she agreed she had over charged us, but very reluctantly agreed to a refund. Maureen’s manner became more unpleasant, and one of us mentioned that this would not make for a good review on Trip Advisor.
Some minutes later, John approached one of our group at her unit, and in a very aggressive and bullying manner bailed her up at her unit door, and then attempted to barge into our unit after she had managed to come to us for support. With finger pointed and up very close, he told her he wanted her off the premises, as she was blackmailing them by mentioning a report to Trip Advisor. Fortunately one of the men in our group was able to move John out of the unit doorway, and away from us. John had actually accused the wrong lady, and even after he knew this, he did not come and apologise. This was a very distressing incident, and we were concerned for our safety when John approached us in such an aggressive manner.
We know the motel has recently sold, and we must stress that this report is with regards to the current owners, John and Maureen Davison, only. It appears they have problems with the professional treatment of their guests. A quote for goods or services should be honoured. The motel itself is great, the position, the quality fittings and furnishings, the showers, the linen and the cleanliness were all excellent. We wish the new owners all the best with their new business, and hope the reputation of the current owners does not detract from their bookings.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank JuneS327

Reviewed 28 January 2014

We stayed here with our small dog, the owners were very friendly, even looking after our dog for a few hours the morning we were due to leave so we could do a few things in town,

Great prices and nice spacious room

1  Thank Andrew S
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I stayed with my family for a few days in early January 2014. The one-bed room apartment on the first floor was tidy with comfortable beds. The balcony outside the lounge provided the tranquility that we needed after a busy tour day. The motel is just a few minutes walk to the beach, ideally located. The swimming pool was open until dark, so we enjoyed a dip in the evening. John was kind enough to get my car battery charged overnight and always served us with a smile.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

We (2 adults + 10 & 7 yr old kids) stayed here for 6 nights in a one bedroom unit, which was a good size. The unit was well equipped and the bbq was handy. The kids loved the pool and the wifi worked well. The location is great - easy, flat walk to attractions and swimming beach is also so close we carried a kayak down to the beach and back no problem. Will look to stay again next time we visit Paihia.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank tonyofnapiernz
Reviewed 8 January 2014

This was a very bad experience as I called and booked in for only one night, which I made it very clear with the date and day. I did call before leaving Auckland to confirm my reservation and asked for a confirmation to be sent to us via e mail but was told by the lady over the phone that it is a small operating business and they don't send confirmation. Anyways on arrival with our kids, who were tired, I went to check in and was told that we had bookings for 2 nights instead of 1. I told the man at the reception that I only did the reservation for one night but they were very rude and told us that we had to pay for 2nights even if we staying or not. It was very frustration for me as we're not ready to listen and took my bank card from me. They were egar to take my money very quickly rather then listening to me. The lady was not ready to accept that she made the mistake in her booking system. The kids were crying in the car and it seems that they didn't even care to at least give us one room for a night as we were ready to pay and stay for one night. I just want to tell every on to be careful in booking here and do as for some kind of confirmation to be safe site from these unkind , rude and unfriendly people. Thanks to kings gate hotel who welcomed us with open arms and were very kind. We paid a little bit more than marlin court but customer service and accomadation was excellent.

2  Thank Ravisha D
jd426, Owner at Marlin Court Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

This woman booked two night by telephone, I have owned and run this motel for 11 years and work from a script for bookings, always double checking dates and number of guests. When she booked she knew from the web site that it was two nights min. I believe that she thought she could arrive and just stay one night and that I would accept this. This was blatant dishonesty and I would not tolerate it.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

Me and a few friends stayed over the labour day weekend and had a great time! The one bedroom unit had everthing you needed and nice clean roomy showers.
John was very helpful with local information and places to eat.
Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We recently had the opportunity to spend 3 nights at Marlin Court. We had a great time. Our hosts, John and Maureen were very friendly and welcoming and the unit was spotless.The bed was sooooooooooooooooo comfortable, I was very reluctant to get up each morning! The motel is located very close to Paihia central, just a 10 minute leisurely walk, along the beach if you feel so inclined. There was also a BBQ available, but personally, I am not outside cooking. We would have no second thoughts about a return visit

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple