“Average stay, too far from town centre”

Scenic Hotel Bay of Islands
Ranked #8 of 43 Hotels in Paihia
Melbourne, Australia
“Average stay, too far from town centre”
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Too far to walk from town centre, takes around 25 mins, service was average and room outside was very shabby with no view at all. Room inside was better, and sleep was good.
Wouldnt stay here again...

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
rossbboi, General Manager at Scenic Hotel Bay of Islands, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to post comments on Tripadvisor. We are glad that you had a good nights rest and the rooms were clean. Kind Regards Ross

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I recently stayed here as part of a "Birthday Trip" with Mum and could not speak more highly of it. It is only a short, easy walk to the centre of town - very handy as Mum struggles with distances. The Rooms were immaculate, very spacious and also lovely and quiet at night. We found the housekeeping staff especially friendly, considerate and helpful - nothing was a problem and they all seemed so happy and to really love what they do - this pride seems to come out in their work as the rooms were so clean and comfortable.
But the best experience was meeting a young guy at Reception - His name was Sid. As I was going to be away from home - and my boyfriend - on both Valentines Day and my Birthday - I was most upset to find I had packed the wrong phone charger on this trip! Extremely upset, I went to the reception desk desperate to find out where I could by one. I was informed there were no such shops nearby, and without a vehicle, shops in other areas was of no use to me. Sid got a box of charges from behind the desk (chargers other guests have left behind over time) and helped me sort through them to try and find one that would fit my Samsung. I must have checked every charge three times in desperate hope that I had missed one. But to no avail. Suddenly, Sid ran out of the reception, saying he would be back in a second. Seconds later, he returned from his car with what he told me was his spare charger (we had the same phone). He told me to check it to make sure it worked on my phone. I returned to my room where I quickly plugged it into my "dead" phone. The relief I felt when it worked was immediate. I ran back to tell Sid that it was charging, and asked if I could leave it charging til he finished work or if I could give it back the following day. Sid instantly told me to keep it. I couldnt believe it. He wanted nothing in return either- I offered to pay him but he would not hear of it. He made my day and saved me a lot of heartache in having to buy a new one.
I have travelled to many, many places around the world, and this experience would be the most memorable of any staff member I have ever encounted anywhere. I dont think Sid fully understood just how much I appreciated his generousity.
I have also worked as a Front Office Supervisor for many years, and I could only hope to have a staff member with such a great attitutude, and such a generous nature with outsanding customer service working for me. He is a real gentleman and a credit to your Hotel. I hope he is recognised for this.
I would definatley highly recommend this Hotel to anyone after an oustanding hotel experience. Thankyou and we hope to visit again some time in the future.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
rossbboi, General Manager at Scenic Hotel Bay of Islands, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you for placing your lovely comments on Tripadvisor. Sid is a new addition to our Front Office team and we are proud of him and the attention he gives to all our guests. We put as large effort into training and it is good to see it working with your comments. Kind Regards Ross
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

My friends and I spent a night here on our trip to the bay of Islands. We booked the room an hour before we got there and the staff stayed an hour late in order to check us in and welcome us to our room. While I did not get to see much of the facilities on our short stay, we did have a very clean and spacious room with all the amenities. The location is perfect, a 2 minute walk to the beach, 5 minute walk to shops and nightlife. A great budget friendly option!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
rossbboi, General Manager at Scenic Hotel Bay of Islands, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to post your lovely comments on Tripadvisor. We are proud of the service we give all our guests. As you state, the hotel is ideally located a short walk from town and is only a couple of minutes drive from Waitangi. We hope you will return for another enjoyable stay on the Bay of Islands. Kind Regards Ross
Florida, USA
Reviewed 13 February 2014

We stayed here as part of an upscale, small-group tour of both Islands. This was typical of the smallish, boutique-like, service-oriented hotels that we encountered. It was clean and comfortable, and management and staff went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable. It is located toward the end of the town, but is no more than a 10-15 minute walk to everything. The restaurant was good for both dinner and breakfast. We would have no problem staying here, should we come this way again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
rossbboi, General Manager at Scenic Hotel Bay of Islands, responded to this review, 16 February 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor. We have several tour companies stay with us and it is always a pleasure to see positive comments like yours posted on this site. As you say ,it is a short walk to town and a 2-3 minute drive to Waitangi, which makes the hotel the ideal place to stay in the Bay of Islands. Kind Regards
Ross
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 8 February 2014

I think the title says it all - I can only recommend this hotel, restaurant, service, professionalism and friendliness of staff - no negatives at all! This Hotel was the only one left in Paihia which had available accommodation as at the time it was Waitangi Day and it was very hard to find any accommodation. We would stay there again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ada H
Dear Guest, Thank you for posting your lovely comments on Tripadvisor. As you stated, it is always a busy time over Waitangi week-end. We pride ourselves on giving great service, no matter how busy we get.Kind Regards Ross
Santa Cruz, CA
Reviewed 8 February 2014

My husband and I stayed here one night prior to going out on The Rock overnight boat trip in the Bay of Islands. We were here the night before Waitangi Day festivities, so practically everything in Paihia was sold out.
We had a lovely room (from other reviews, we worried about being in the 500 building, but we were on the far side, and no hotel garbage noise bothered us). We did have to ask the people next door to turn down the blaring tv, which they did (the walls are thin).
After three weeks of touring New Zealand with free wi-fi everywhere, it was strange to have to pay. Stranger still was a multi-layered system of charges which were not explained. Told that 24 hours of service would cost $10, I grumbled a little but put the charge on my credit card, as directed by the service provider interface. After two hours, the service expired, and when I inquired as to why, the front desk clerk argued with me and then said I'd only paid $5 anyway (then I showed him the charge of $10 on my credit card statement), and he backed down, providing me with a couple of coupons for more access time.
His unpleasant and demeaning manner completely turned me off to the hotel--we took our business elsewhere for dining and the bar. I couldn't wait to check out!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to post yopur comments on Tripadvisor. Your comments regarding wifi have been taken on board .The Scenic Hotel Group is looking at how wifi is working in the hotels and how to move forward in a more guest friendly manner. Kind Regards Ross
Matlock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2014 via mobile

Friendly and helpful staff. Thais and his staff could not have been more helpful. I was lucky enough to have a birthday here and will always remember it as a very special day. Great tours lovely food. Visit and you'll be hooked.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Doma27
rossbboi, General Manager at Scenic Hotel Bay of Islands, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you for placing your lovely comments on Tripadvisor. The staff work extremely hard to make your visit a memorable on here in the Bay of Islands. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. Kind Regards Ross
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paihia
Sea Spray Suites - Heritage Collection
Copthorne Hotel & Resort Bay of Islands
Breakwater Motel
Breakwater Motel
#1 of 43 in Paihia

Been to Scenic Hotel Bay of Islands? Share your experiences!