“Cool place”

Ranked #17 of 30 Speciality Lodging in Paihia
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Cool place”
Reviewed 20 March 2011

We were a large group of 14, including grandparents & teenagers. The apartments were comfortable & clean . Our teenagers loved the casual outdoor ambience in the evenings, compared to the "stuffy" hotels we usually stay in.
You just need to request for your extra requirements of sheets/towels before 9pm as there is no service after that.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank jeandixon12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Korean first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 10 January 2011

I arrived on a Friday night at the end of the busy christmas period. My first 3 choices of accommodation in Paihia were booked up so I settled for this one after a decent review in the Lonely Planet. The lonely planet was written at least 4 years ago though which is enough time for accommodation to turn BAD-O.

The room was clean enough, myself and 3 friends stayed in an apartment with 2 single beds and a sofa bed for $360 for 2 nights. This price is highly inflated to abuse the busy period and the shortage of accomodation in this area.

I firstly annoyed the grumpy receptionist when I asked to first view the room before handing over $360. This was after waiting for 1/2 hour outside a closed door with "back in 20 minutes" written on it.

I then annoyed her further by phoning the out of hours number (at about 6.30pm) to tell her that she'd given me the wrong key and I couldn't lock my door to go out. The following morning I had no desire to mention the squeekiest, wonkiest bed on planet earth for fear of having my head ripped off and chewed to a paste. I suffered the bed for 1 more night before thankfully leaving this place.

On a plus note, it's conveniently located and my room had an awesome shower. There are many other places in the area to choose before this one though.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank beefwow
MarkHarnden, Owner at Bay Adventurer, responded to this review, 18 January 2012
I am the owner of this hostel and must first of all apologize for the bad experience this guest had.
We have now changed our night manager and trust that the problems experienced by a few reviewers has been solved.
I am very sorry for the previous managers behavior which was clearly unacceptable.
Our new Manager has been trained by the best, and we trust that he will raise the level of customer service and satisfaction to very high levels.
I am surprised by the comments about the bed...most of our guests compliment us on the best beds they have found in any hostel, but I have investigated and found no problem with the bed.
As for price, well, yes, it is more expensive at the end of December, which is the same as any where else on the planet where prices are raised due to increased demand. I believe we are competitively priced at all times, and considering we offer a free pool, jacuzzi, bikes, kayak, tennis, the price we charge is a fair one.

Travellers are raving about these Paihia hotels

Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 4 January 2011

I've stayed here several times and thought it was about time to post a positive review. Always a friendly laid back feeling. I stayed in the double room which has a bunk bed with a double bed and single on top. Comfiest bed ever in a backpackers! Especially great after a long day out in the sun and sea. Our room had it's own washroom which was handy, although showers were shared. Nice big wardrobe, table and chairs, fridge and small t.v. The grounds and shared areas were clean and the palm trees around the pool were lovely. I noticed they encourage recycling and had a herb garden. Other facilities are very good too, nice big kitchen, bbq and outdoor seating. I especially love the wooden carved crab chairs. A little vague on checkin, such as no advising of checkout times, (but notices were in rooms) , a quick general orientation of the place could be helpful, but on the whole it was quick and friendly. I noticed other staff were whistling as they worked and looked generally happy, no wonder as the Bay of Islands is a great place to work and live!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank cornishgal02
Brescia, Italy
Reviewed 5 December 2010

I stayed in the Bay adventurer for 2 nights on 30th November and 1st December 2010, in a 6-bed female dorm.

Room: wasn't that big, though there was a cupboard in which to put everyone's bags, and you could lock your space (locks not provided). The room was clean and the bed sheets laundry fresh, mattress and pillow comfy.

Bathrooms: clean. Showers take a while to get to hot water though (they say it's the methane heating, but having it at home I have quite an experience with it... and it's just that their heater is probably very old). Also, water from the floor in the showers doesn't go away that fast, but I suppose it's because they recycle and use it to flush the WCs (environmentally friendly => :D; water not going => could be a hygiene problem)

Common areas: there is a swimming pool (didn't try it, I prefer the beach), supposedly a spa (didn't get where it was), a cool outside deck where you can have your meal, cook BBQs and meet the people that stay there, and a very clean common kitchen to be used by all the guests. The fridge is interestingly organized, since they have vertical containers that everyone can tag with their name room n° and date of departure (so not plastic bags running around or random food on the shelves); though when I was looking for a clean container I found some had been washed but not drained properly (and the water that remained inside got quite dark in the meantime...). Cutlery and pots are more than enough for the guests that stay there, though it's not the same for cooktops and surfaces: unluckily one cooktop wasn't working while I was there, but anyway the kitchen is arranged quite badly: you bump into other people (and pots) while cooking and it can be upsetting at times.
There is CCTV inside the kitchen to keep an eye on the cleaniness (there is a panel saying that if you don't clean after yourself you won't get your key deposit back - seems quite fair to me, and it seems to work).

Location: far from the music and noise of the Pipi (I don't really know if those who stay at the Pipi notice it, but enjoyed not having to bother. The Pipi is a cool place to hang out, by the way), of course you cannot really shut up people if they talk loudly outside of your room (it happened on the first night I was there, though I didn't check the time... anyway somebody told them to shut up and they did).
It's - as any other hostel on Kings Rd - a short stroll from the city center and the Wharf, so really everything is at hands

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank asorairam
Wellington
Reviewed 20 October 2010

We stayed at Bay Adventurer for a few days. Nice accomodation, clean kitchen and a lounge to watch movies or TV. It was possible to use mountenbikes to tour around the Bay. You van even use a kayak for free. The owners are really nice, they even sent us an item we forgot at their hostel, for free! Great place and good prices!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KirstenBrouns
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 February 2010

Visited in February with my Daughter and Son In Law and had the two bedroom apartment with balcony at the front. This was my first experience in a Backpackers but at 53 years of age it will definately not be my last! Ideally placed near bars, lovely pool and Hot Tub and brilliant facilities for 'proper' backpackers who need laundry/cooking facilities. There was a nice central communal area where travellers could get together and eat/drink and exchange their experiences and generally the whole place had a lovely chilled out feel to it with the modern extras we have come to expect nowadays. Our apartment had a fully equiped kitchen, modern tiled bathroom, TV, balcony and could sleep about 9. Would definately go back again, recommend to a friend and - a bit late in the day it has got me seriously thinking about some 'proper' backpacking if accomodation is as good as this in other places!

Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Marge079
London, UK
Reviewed 12 February 2010

The 6 bed dorm was ok, though it would feel very cramped if all 6 beds were occupied. Unfortunately, it wasn't cleaned at all - we were there 3 nights and other people came and went, so staff came in to remake the beds but didn't think to empty the overflowing bin.

The bathroom was grimy, with blocked plugholes, mouldy shower curtains and broken toilets.

The kitchen was disgusting - you wouldn't want to touch, let alone put food down, on the surfaces. The bins were overflowing. Worst was the frudge - so full it looked as if it hadn't been cleaned out for months, and somebody had put unwrapped raw meat on the top shelf so the blood dripped down onto our food on the shelf below... we threw that away and went out for dinner, but two days later the dried congealed blood was still all over the shelf! We had intended to complain to reception when we left but we had a bus to catch and reception opened late so we didn't have time.

The tables outside are good for meeting other travellers and the atmosphere is relaxed. The security guards helpfully get everyone to leave the tables at 11pm - the tendency is to head down the road to one of the bars... but there's no sign of the security guards when everyone stumbles back at 3am after the bars close, drunker and louder than before, when help in quieting them down would actually be useful.

The location is good, but since all other hostels in Paihia are on the same street, I'd strongly recommend staying at one of them instead.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends