We thought we had played it safe by going along and asking to view the room prior to agreeing to stay. We thought if it didn't look very good we'd try somewhere else. It looked really nice... never judge a book by it's cover! We agreed to take the room and here's what happened...
* Ground floor room with parking directly outside was great for motorbikes
* Nice looking room
* Super comfy couch
* A/C which worked effectively
* Electric blankets
* TV in both the lounge and bedroom
* Upon payment we were advised that there was a small fee if paying by credit card - the room was offered for $96 & was also advertised for this on Wotif - so we provided the staff member with $100 cash to which he informed us he would just take the full $100 as he had no change!
* No room compendium - no info re TV channels or kitchen dual oven/microwave etc
* No complimentary milk or even UHT milk pottles
* Wonky table on a lean
* While there are little water conservation signs up around the room the toilet constantly runs unless you wriggle the button & unfortunately this wasn't just in our room as we heard one of the toilets from upstairs over running for hours as well (yes - we heard this from our room)
* The blanket on the bed was obviously old or overwashed as all the stuffing was crammed into the corners of each section and there was no way to "fluff it" out so had to get a spare blanket out as well
* The bed itself and the pillows were the WORST I have ever paid money to sleep on! Most of the other things I've pointed out would have probably meant that I would have rated this place an average (perhaps) but honestly - after a long day ending in the worst sleep (if any) ever and then this having a huge impact on your ability to enjoy the rest of your weekend away - I can't score it any higher than a poor.
It's such a shame because the place really did look nice and I thought it was going to be a great value spot that we could return to regularly on weekends away - however I would never pay to stay somewhere that you can't get a good nights sleep. Usually most places put a lot of focus on the beds and bedding so I'm not sure what went wrong here!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Sea Spray Suites Heritage Collection, Bay of Islands. Perfectly located to enjoy the famous Te Ti Beach mid-way between Paihia's charming township and historic Waitangi. Sea Spray Suites, Paihia - Heritage Collection, Bay of Islands ... You're somewhere special when you relax in our self-contained suites. Choose between sun drenched sea view balconies or private courtyards while enjoying the luxury of Heritage. All suites have full kitchens with all the comforts of home. Conveniently located mid-way between Paihia town centre and historic Waitangi Treaty Grounds overlooking Te Ti Bay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, LateRooms, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sea Spray Suites - Heritage Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sea Spray Hotel Paihia
- Sea Spray Suites - Heritage Collection Paihia, Bay Of Islands, New Zealand