“modern, comfortable and clean”

Sea Spray Suites - Heritage Collection
Ranked #4 of 43 Hotels in Paihia
Reviewed 6 December 2009

We stayed here for 4 nights and used this as our base for exploring the Bay of Islands. As we had the car we found that the onsite car parking was very convenient and there was no charge.
The location is close enough to Paihia town but far enough out to be quiet. There are also a few other apartments/hotels close by.
We were a little disappointed in the size of the property as it really is more of an upmarket, modern motel than a true apartment property. The management live in (like a motel) and operate the property in more of a motel manner.
The rooms however are modern, stylish and comfortable.
We booked a non view room and looked out onto the house next door. The patio for the room is directly on the access way for all the rooms so not very private. However- as we were out everyday, we didn’t mind much.
Overall the rooms are lovely but the property is more of a motel and best for using for the room only and going out the rest of the time.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 December 2009

The Seaspray Suites is sandwiched between another motel and a very active car repair shop. The few rooms that face the Bay of Islands were booked so we had units in the main body of the motel. They're small but serviceable, clean and adequate - but you have a view out one side of the building directly into the adjacent motel rooms, and out the other side into the service bays of the Shell station. The staff was friendly and helpful, and the service was excellent, the rooms clean. The only internet access was the grossly overpriced service with marginal coverage we could pick up from an adjacent motel. The location's a 10-15 minute walk from the center of town, right across from a nice beach with a large playground.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 November 2009

Booked a 1 bedroom premium suite with AMAZING view - was well worth the extra money - you get what you pay for!!!! Unit was clean, comfortable & quiet with fabulous cooking facilities and dishwasher! Would loved to have stayed longer - can't wait to return.

Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 November 2009

I think this is a slight case of false advertising. The Sea Spray Suites website makes this place look fantastic but really its just a glorified motel.
Yes the unit was clean and spacious but "nestled in the surrounding bush" is stretching the truth a bit. The "private patio" was adjacent to the walkway that everyone used to access the surrounding units and looked out on to the back of a service station and ugly car yard. The bed was inifinitely uncomfortable and the air-conditioning unit did nothing to cool the bedroom.
Also, the toilet had something wrong with the flushing mechanism which would result in the toilet constantly refilling the cistern, when I mentioned this to the lady at reception when checking out she apologised and said it happened on and off all the time. Would have been nice to know that beforehand.
Would I stay here again? Yes, if I needed a clean, motel like place to stay but thats about it.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 November 2009

I definately would not be visiting this Hotel again. I have nothing nice to say about this property. Located right next to car yard and petrol station, so your overlooking car wrecks. No kitchen dining table. and what really ticked me off was that we ran out of plunger coffee and asked for more, when the MANAGER told me and my wife " THIS IS A RECESSION and you only get one Coffee sachet on arrival " I mean how rude of her to deny us coffee when we were paying more than enough just to stay there. I got onto the phone as soon as possible to the Bay of Islands Regional manager. I was quite angry by the time i got his phone number. I explained to him why I was so upset and he seemed a little irriatated, that i had gone out of my way to make a phone call to him and his staff coudnt give me a $ 3.50 sachet of coffee. The conversation ended and he did apologise for the incident.

Overall Manager was not nice,Location horrible, Receptionist seemed like she had a chip on her shoulder, when asking for local knowledge , I was snapped at. VERY dissapointed.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank allaroundNZ
Reviewed 18 July 2009

I booked the Sea Spray for a weekend away to celebrate my husbands birthday and our wedding anniversary. The location was good and the rooms were beautifully appointed and spotlessly clean but I was really disappointed that we didn't get a sea front room. I specifically requested a room with a view and balcony but we were placed in one of the many ground floor rooms in the middle and it felt so calustrophobic as a result. Only one of the sea front rooms was occupied in the time we were there and having no view really put a huge dent in our weekend as the weather was pretty bad and we wanted to lounge around but felt we just had to get out because without an outlook of any kind staying in during daylight was almost unbearable.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank allynz
Reviewed 27 May 2009

We found Sea Spray Suites to be a very comfortable place to stay. From the pictures on the website, I thought we might have a bit of a sea view, so I was a little surprised at how many units were crammed into the 2 story building, along the side. We had no view at all, not even of the gas station next door, so that was a good thing. The kitchen was easy to cook in and the bedroom was fine for the three nights we were there. We couldn't use the private deck as it was too cool outside, but that could have been nice. We didn't mind being 5 minutes from the center of town. It gave us a good opportunity to walk along the waterfront. After reading some negative reviews of much more expensive properties in the area, I think we got a good value and a clean, modern place to stay. The staff was very friendly. Only downside was the charge for Internet use.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple