“Average pub meal”

Provenir
Ranked #1 of 57 Restaurants in Paihia
Price range: US$16 - US$100
Cuisines: New Zealand, European, Contemporary, Fusion, International
Good for: Local cuisine, View, Romantic, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, After-hours, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Provenir is a modern local restaurant with a seasonally driven menu. The centre of the restaurant is the kitchen where ingredient quality is non-negotiable. Provenir emphasises the age old formula of simple ingredients cooked well, freshness with a sense of energy, a little bit theatrical, true to life with quality and a story. Hand made, artisanal, from farm to chef. We know our farmers, fisherman, wine makers & growers; from Rod McDonald with his Quarter Acre stunning Syrah, to Bill French who raises our Perendale Lamb, they are just a few of our team. Head Chef - Marcus Berndt
Bendigo, Australia
“Average pub meal”
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

Was advised that this was the best eating in Paihia but a bit expensive
Pleasantly surprised at the prices although not a lot of choice on the menu
My wife and I both chose the seafood platter - disappointed with the result - chef has no idea what tempura batter should be like or just didn't care
Waitress is excellent and her efforts are wasted in a place that can only be described as ordinary

Visited May 2014

Bristol, United Kingdom
“Good Views and Fresh Local Produce”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

On the main road out of Paihia towards Waitangi this restaurant in a hotel overlooks the Bay and provides simple local produce excellently cooked and presented, with some interesting wines. We walked along the harbour front looking for somewhere to eat and, frankly, despite other Trip Advisor reviews, this was the only one that appealed - the smell from some others turned our stomachs. We were not disappointed in our choice, however, we noticed that it is up for sale and so you need to check whether it is still open and with the same good chef.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Victorians63
Essex, United Kingdom
“Go here for breakfast, whether staying there or not”
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We've just had a couple of nights in Paihia, our fourth visit to the town in 3 years. Thought we'd try somewhere different for breakfast .... popped into Pure Tastes ....

Bottom line - we'd definitely do that again.

Had the 'Pure Tastes Cooked Breakfast' ... beautifully presented, a line-up that included the full works - sausage, bacon, tomatoes, mushrooms ..... Tasty, excellent flavours, scrambled egg just right. Served with a smile on a sunny Sunday morning with delightful views across the bay. Trim Flat White was well-prepared, too.

One thing almost put us off - menu on the wall outside the place was hanging off a strip of sticky tape. C'mon guys, first impressions ....

• Visited March 2014
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Superb breakfast!!!”
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I had the portabello mushrooms on foccacia and we also ordered the scrambled egg breakfast with toasted foccacia > beautifully presented - excellent service and gorgeous views of the sea from here.

• Visited September 2013
Kerikeri, New Zealand
“Appalling.”
Reviewed 7 September 2013

By far the worst food I have ever been presented with at a restaurant. These guys claim themselves as an award winning restaurant. What they don't tell you is that the awards are from several years ago, mostly when Paul Jobin was chef/owner. From the very limited menu Three of our party of four ordered oysters. Several minutes later we were advised that they didn't have enough oysters to provide three dishes. Would I like to order something else? "Yes, can I SEE the menu??". So, my very reluctant second choice was their mussel dish (with herb butter I think it was). I say "I think" because it was disgusting. Not a nice flavour at all, and certainly not complimentary to the mussels. I ate three of the eight on my plate. The rest I suspect ended up in their rightful place, the pig bin. We then arrive at the main. I say "arrive" because it was a hell of a long journey. Close to an hour we waited. Three of our party had ordered their scotch fillet ($28.50, what a joke). A choice of sauce was offered, I chose the mushroom (thought I'd re-live the eighties.....). My partner had the red wine jus . The mushroom sauce was inedible. Perhaps they should rename it a "wholegrain mustard sauce, with mushrooms". The jus we suspect was Bisto dark gravy with red wine added, without cooking the alcohol out. And that was it. A thin, in parts "off" tasting piece of meat, with a horrible sauce dumped over it. No garnish, not a vegetable in sight. Apparently we could have ordered side off the menu but this was not pointed out when we ordered.
After struggling through this rubbish we were asked if we'd like to see the dessert menu. We declined.

• Visited September 2013