“Great fun and entertaining guides”

River Rats Raft & Kayak
Book In Advance
More Info
US$110.07*
and up
Lake Rotoiti Evening Kayak Tour including Hot...
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: River Rats have been offering quality adventures for over 35 years. There’s something for everyone, from a gentle grade 2 scenic raft trip suitable for participants as young as 5 years old, through to full on grade 5 action featuring the world's highest commercially rafted waterfall. Kayaking is available as freedom hire or a guided tour. Paddle the local lakes to a secluded beach or enjoy a hot water swim only accessible by boat.
Reviewed 19 April 2014

It was bucketing down with rain but the guides and the experience of rafting in Rotorua more than compensated. Having done rafting in other countries I can fairly say this was the best. My only complaint was that it was not long enough.

RiverRatNZ, Owner at River Rats Raft & Kayak, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

Thank you for your great review.
We raft all the available section of river starting at the dam as the water exits Lake Rotoiti and taking out above a Grade 6 rapid that is not commercially runnable.
The length is both its best and worst feature, it is very easy to fit into an itinerary but such a great trip always leaves you wanting more.
For those who prefer longer on the water the Rangitaiki & Wairoa Rivers both provide longer trips.
The Wairoa is a dam release grade 5 river that runs selected Sundays from September to May. It is possible to experience both Grade 5 trips (Kaituna and Wairoa) in one day for those looking for the ultimate experience.

All reviews
in 102 reviews
"grade"
in 81 reviews

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Took a trip to see Okere falls after Cyclone Lusi had departed on Sunday afternoon, we saw people rafting down the waterfall and thought we'd like to give it a try.

We drove back down to Mourea where we had passed the River Rats site and enquired if they had any availability that afternoon. Luckily no-one had booked for the scheduled run at 15:30 and we were able to go straightaway. We got kitted up with wet suit, warm fleece top, boots and helmet and made our way to the river with our instructor and companion towing the raft and a kayak.

We got into the water and jumped in raft with the instructor (just the 3 of us) and his companion went off in the kayak to ride shotgun (backup if we fell in). After some health and safety instruction and a guide on how to sit (hold on securely) and paddle off we went. We had great fun navigating the river with guidance from the instructor. The two waterfall drops were exhilarating. We managed to stay inside the raft for the duration of the trip but got pretty wet 'surfing' in the waterfall (beware). We also had time to enjoy the scenic views of the river from the raft on the quieter stretches.

All-in-all a great activity, thoroughly enjoyed thanks to River Rats.

Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

This was my first white water experience and I couldn't of picked a better place to start. The guides were amazing and any nerves I had went away quickly once we got started. The scenery throughout was amazing. I highly recommend for beginners or experienced rafters!

Reviewed 2 April 2014

Fun, thrilling, and Great to look at! and the rafting trip was pretty awesome too!
In all seriousness, the Trip was awesome!
The guides were Great fun, knowledgeable and helpful. I will be recommending this trip to everyone and anyone I know that will be heading in their direction. Thanks for the laughs River rats!!