“Rangataiki River Rocks! - River Rats Review”

River Rats Raft & Kayak
Book In Advance
More Info
US$73.78*
and up
Kaituna River White Water Rafting from Rotorua
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: River Rats have been offering quality adventures for over 30 years. There’s something for everyone, from a gentle grade 2 scenic raft trip suitable for participants as young as 5 years old, through to full on grade 5 action featuring the world's highest commercially rafted waterfall. Kayaking is available as freedom hire or a guided tour. Paddle the local lakes to a secluded beach or enjoy a hot water swim only accessible by boat.
Rotorua, New Zealand
“Rangataiki River Rocks! - River Rats Review”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2009

The Trip was much appreciated Justin!

The guides were great, keeping us on track on a trickier than average river. I really enjoyed the greater interactivity you get with the longer trip on the Lower Rangatiki over the Kaitoke (also great value though). Its great to have some time to chill on 'the FLAT section' so you can appreciate just being on the river.

Wendy and her Kayak(yuk!) compadre were an excellent guides and the trip felt completely under control the entire time! Its an experience that lasts a lifetime I will highly recommend it to anyone with a sense of adventure!

Its a Pitty about the Koala & the King Eel, but AWESOME.

Thanks River Rats - Rafting rocks!

Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A little out of my comfort zone, but once on the water I didn't want it to end.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2009

I chose to do the Rangitaiki Grade 3/4 river section. The water was clean, air was fresh, and views of the forest made it feel like a movie. Had 5 people on the raft including myself and the guide who was entertaining. Lunch afterwards was simple but well received. If I ever return to NZ will definitely do this again, well worth it.

New Plymouth
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Awesome whitewater rafting adventure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2009

My family and I (husband and 16 and 14 yr old) , did the Kaituna rafting trip with River Rats Rafting company in July. This was our first time rafting, so attempting a grade 5 trip was quite adventurous. The great thing about the kaituna river is that it flattens out after the waterfalls so its not too full on. I really enjoyed paddling the raft and being totally involved in the adventure. Our guides were great and I felt confident with them and able to trust that they knew what they were doing. This is a fantastic activity to do as a family with teenage kids, I can garantee the kids won't be bored!! We also have great photos to amaze friends and family with what we did.

2 Thank Shell54
chicago il
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“rafting in Rotorua, New Zealand”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2009

I traveled with the River Rat outfit on the first of the year 2009 with my two children ages 16 and 14. We chose the Grade 5 Kaituna River trip.... LOVED it. Our two guides, Jordan and Pete, were both friendly and knowledgable. Jordan was especially fun. The staff was really accomodating. I would definitely recommend this trip to anyone. I felt that it was fairly priced, efficiently run, and one of the highlights of our time in Rotorua!! By the way, we purchased photos from the trip that turned out great.

1 Thank travelgeeks4
Kelowna, Canada
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Kaituna White Water Rafting”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2008

We rafted the Kaituna with River Rats in November as my husband had rafted there about ten years ago with the same outift and thought that they were well run and fun. The trip cost us 85 dollars each with each raft able to take about 6 people.
The Kaituna is a grade 5 rafting experience lasting about 50 minutes - the highlight is a 7 metre waterfall. Overrall it was great fun and an interesting experience.
The water temperature was supposedly around 16 degrees but we didn't feel it cold and thought that maybe we should have sledged it instead of rafting for a closer experience.
The one thing that put me off was our guide - Neville? Neil? - was everything unfun. He was certainly capable and seemed to know what he was doing but it ended there. One of the reasons we had picked this was because my husband remembered fun guides ten years ago - perhaps they have all moved on or maybe this guy was fun ten years ago :)
The outfit seems to run the Kaituna three times a day and so it must get very repetitive and boring for the guides. However, they should make an effort to remember that for us - their customers who pay them - it is a novel experience.
It seemed that Neville had reached the point where every interaction was just frustration for him. For example, at one point I was watching him grinding his teeth !!! because my husband hadn't put away his paddle alongside the raft and was holding it. We had a honeymooning couple with us - just one week married - and because of all the noise, stuff happening, etc the husband was slow to stop paddling when he gave the command to do so. So he turned to the woman and told her "You must be real proud of him" - insulting them both. She just laughed it off...

As a guide I think that when you get to the stage where it gets this annoying to deal with everyday people you really should retire or go do horse backriding tours or audition for Oscar the grouch...

4 Thank Gathering_No_Moss