“If you like bugs then you will like this place!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ace Motor Lodge

Ace Motor Lodge
Ranked #77 of 93 Hotels in Rotorua
new zealand
“If you like bugs then you will like this place!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2009

Very dated,towel under the toilet because it leaked, very unsanitary, tv didn't work, push the sound button and the channel changed and vice versa. The towels smelt mouldy and were stiff as boards.Child woke screaming in the night saying there was something crawling on him, turned out to be the biggest cockroach I have ever seen! I made a complaint in the office about the condition of the room and the cockroach, she said she wanted to inspect the room(no one elses room was inspected as I was in the office when others were checking out and leaving the premises)The woman then said that the room was a mess(I hadn't made the bed! Since when do you have to make the bed in a motel or similar accomodation?)and that no other guest before me had ever left the room in such a mess. There was a food takeaway paper bag on the floor next to the rubbish bin which wouldn't fit in so I had left it neatly beside the rubbish bin. A small amount of water on the floor in the bathroom by the sink , a little bit of left over bubbles from the bubble bath taken that morning, and a little bit of tissue under the table. Well she gasped and tut tutted like this really amazed her and kept on insisting I was the dirtiest and messiest guest she had ever had. I was told to make the beds, wipe the benchs, fold all the used towels up and place them on the bath edge, and wipe the bathroom floors, before I was allowed to leave or I would be charged a "cleaning fee". As for the cockroaches the Motel owner was not surprised and told me that its only 1 or 2 cockroaches so thats okay, we don't have a restaurant so we don't have many cockroaches, most other accomodation with a kitchen/restaurant are infested with cockroaches. We stay several times a year in rotorua hotels and its the first time I have seen a cockroach! I said I wanted to leave and not stay another night because I was so disgusted over the cockroach, and the unsanitary motel conditions. I was accused of being a liar and she pointed her finger in my face several times insisting I had changed my mind and was trying to get out of the staying for the next night.Then she accused me of sneaking in another person to stay in the motel during the night. I was absolutely dumbstuck and didn't know what to say to that accusation. I was extremely offended by her behaviour and had my childrens welfare interests at heart not wanting to put their health at risk by staying in a establishment with such health-hazardous conditions. After much persistence on my part I was lucky to get a partial refund, but they charged me 20% for a cancellation. I should have charged them the $20 back for making me do the room cleaning for them!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
1 Thank itsthelittlethings
aceplace319, Manager at Ace Motor Lodge, responded to this review, 9 March 2011
We are budget motel and our building is pretty old but we are pretty sure we offer clean & tidy budget accommodation. Old building requires many kinds of maintenance jobs developing suddenly without warning. We put towel there while we arrange the repair as a few drops of water sneaks out of the toilet cistern and we might have explained about it when they checked in. Rotorua is thermal area so some sulpher included in the air and it causes a lot of problems on electronic appliances. We always keep spare TV handy as we experience similar problems. They should have told us and asked spare TV but they have not.
We experience one or two cockroaches once in three or four months time even though we do regular treatment for it. We have small patch of bark garden in which we think they hide.
We noticed the room they stayed was very noisy and a client of next door complained when checking out that it was too noisy. We found the room was one of the messiest rooms we experienced for the last 11 years.
Our staff asked them number of people who stayed as we experience sometimes more people than allowed stayed without our permission. And we have not charged them any cancellation charge.
We are 100 percent sure that our motel rooms are not health-hazardous conditions.
Most clients who stayed in our motel were happy and enjoyed value for money.
We will continue to offer clean and tidy budget accommodation

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)