“A Disabled Person's Experience”
Review of Arista Capri Motel

Arista Capri Motel
Ranked #6 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I have been asked to write this review by the Capri Court management and this I am happy to do, based on total honesty.
First, the quality of the accommodation was very good - the main room and bathroom being very clean and with a high standard of build quality. Both my wife and I found the king-size bed to be wonderfully firm and comfortable to sleep on, (and in!)
While the staff were very helpful, there were, unfortunately, several times when communication breakdowns occurred.
As a still-walking mobile polio survivor, (using a simmer-frame), some of the 'aids' on offer, such as the shower stool, were totally unsuitable, being too low-down for my six foot plus height to manage. What I really needed was a tall shower stool, such as the one made by 'Cubro', or a wooden fold-up seat, (fixed to the wall). I have both these aids in my purpose-built ensuite at home.
I was told that I should have asked for a 'lazy boy' recliner chair - again, what I really needed was a tall straight-backed chair with solid arm rests with which to push myself up into a standing position.
A mobile ramp was placed in front of my unit - great if you're in a wheelchair! I should have asked for it to be taken away but I didn't, so let's say that that glitch was my own fault!
It was also very annoying to have the local fly population inviting itself into the unit every time the sliding door was opened - a really good solution? not the supplied can of fly spray, but an electronic spray dispenser - very effective and overall more cost-effective than cans of fly-spray!
I should also mention that, despite extra temporary lighting in the unit, my legally-blind wife was in tears more than once because she simply did not have enough light - in this case, I think it's more of a design fault in the unit itself, because there were not that many plug-points left to use!
My wife found the spa-bath was great - I took one look at it and decided that I wasn't quite ready to commit suicide by attempting to get in (or out!) Physically disabled people who can still walk usually need a gently-sloping ramp with solid hand-rails for such baths, or a heavy-duty hoist.
What it all comes down to is the usual story - lots of assumptions, (the mother of foul-ups), and not enough actual communication!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 21 March 2014

We stayed here for one night during our road trip thru the north island. The room was clean and very spacious and you get free wi-fi, plus the large spa. We didn't get to use the spa as there was so much to do in rotorua but I'm sure it would've been lovely.
Location wise, it's not down near the restaurant end of Fenton st but parking and driving isn't a problem.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
CapriC, Manager at Arista Capri Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Great to hear that you will come back and visit sometime in the future ! You are most welcome anytime ! Good to hear that you found everything you needed at a convenient distance. It is only a 2min drive to the city centre or the famous geothermal bubbling mud and geysers. See you soon !

Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

Me and my partner found the capri court very awesome. There is the option of having a spa whenever you like or just sitting back and watching a movie. The beds are amazing you wont be dissapointed! We found capri court close to everything we needed to do with the centre only just down the road. The staff are very friendly to. Id definatly stay there again.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Wonderful to hear that you like many others got a wonderful time of relaxation and a great sleep in our Brand New Super King Pillow Top Beds !! thanks for your kind words !

Reviewed 16 March 2014

We recently stayed in this lovely motel (03/15/2014) and were very impressed with the room. We had a king size bed and two single beds that were very comfortable. The private spa tub was great! We were greeted and taken to our room and were helped with arrangements for entertainment, local attractions, and restaurants. The staff was extraordinarily friendly. We loved our stay, felt that it was very reasonable and would love to return again. We would highly recommend!

Stayed: March 2014

We are delighted that we could help in making your stay in Rotorua one to remember and that you got to see many things. Great that you like everyone else, enjoyed our Brand New Super King Pillow top Beds !!

Reviewed 15 March 2014

We stayed two nights in March and wished we could have stayed for longer. Lovely rooms, a great king size bed and fantastic facilities. A surprise was the outdoor spa in our private courtyard with shelter if needed. House keeping was excellent as was cleanliness and condition. Every staff member we spoke to was helpful and friendly. Compared to some of its more up-market and pricier competitors this motel came out as higher quality in every area.
Thank you for a relaxing and comfortable experience.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
CapriC, Manager at Arista Capri Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Wow ! What an awesome review - thanks heaps. We are delighted that you enjoyed the comfort of our BRAND NEW SUPER KING PILLOW TOP BEDS !! They are amazing aren't they ?!! Also so encouraging to hear that you found our rooms to a great standard and that our staff were friendly and helpful - we have let them know of your kind words. Thanks !

Reviewed 12 March 2014

Thank you soooooo much we had such a good time here :) Very modern beautiful Spa bath it made a good day great coming back to our clean room to soak up in our spa. Awesome hosts very helpful.
Thank you.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

So glad you had an 'AWESOME' time, and thanks for sharing your encouraging words on feedback.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

We stayed 2 nights in Unit 19 in February. It was very clean (except the shower caddy), the bed comfortable (even though it wasn't one of the new mattresses) Amazingly it was very quiet in spite of the nearby busy road. The customer service was excellent.

The motel owners have only been there a few months and have made huge improvements. As we know, Rome wasn't built in a day and I would think in a few more months and with a little more up grading,this motel will be outstanding.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback and we are glad you enjoyed your stay. We are progressing rather quickly and things are looking real good. so we look forward to seeing you again sometime and hope you will enjoy the further upgrades that we continue to do.