“nice getaway, go in the off season”

Wai Ora Lakeside Spa Resort
Ranked #27 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
Reviewed 28 September 2013

We stayed at the Wai Ora Lakeside Spa in December, so it was fairly warm, but it rained a lot – it was really nice to be able to jump into the hot springs while the rain was falling overhead. The atmosphere was relaxed and quiet, although it was quite busy. We stayed in the Deluxe Studio, it was comfortable and clean, and it was nice to have the private outdoor area. The room service was nice, though a little slow to arrive. It was great to have internet access in the room, and there were little luxuries like a robe each, which I liked. The day spa was glorious, quite expensive, but worth it for the full holiday experience. I tried the White Volcanic Stone massage, it was awesome! We drove in and parked, but you can get airport transfers as well, I think. We looked at ordering the gourmet picnic basket, but the weather wasn’t fine enough for a picnic in the end. The food was great, a bit expensive, but about what you’d expect from the quality of the hotel. It was nice to get the chance to try some native New Zealand flavours. My partner is gluten-intolerant and we were able to request gluten free food for him which was great. Overall, great hotel, nice staff, comfy and clean, expensive but worth it for a luxury getaway, lots of nice extras, try to go when it’s a bit quieter.

Room Tip: upstairs rooms may be quieter
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Beangene

Reviewed 10 September 2013

When I found Wai ora Clarion Hotel online, I decided to buy their gift cards to use during my stay. I had a nice relaxing flight to New Zealand.
My arrival was greeted by their courteous Hotel staff, I just loved the artwork and décor that certainly added to the fresh atmosphere and friendly faces that were always smiling and ready to help me with just about anything.
I especially enjoyed their luxurious spa’s and extraordinary vista’s that really complete the entire experience, I can say that this Hotel earns its 5 stars with pure dedication and professionalism every time!

Room Tip: All the rooms are amazing, especially the beach front vista's
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 September 2013

The massage/spa area is very nice. The dinner was nice ( some things a little bit cold & awkward to eat). Luckily we had a voucher as it would be very expensive otherwise. The rooms were nice enough, but smelt a bit like fresh paint. Service was excellent, very pleasant & helpful staff :)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We booked this hotel thinking it would be quite special as it sells itself as a 5 star hotel We booked a superior suite. I was so disappointed by the standard of the room This is nothing more than a motel. There is nothing about the rooms which could be remotely compared to a 5 star hotel. It has the look and feel of a roadside motel. The balcony was very dirty and had clearly not been cleaned before our arrival. The pool area was very unwelcoming and very little space for more than one or two couples at a time.
We were amused to find a large carrier bag full of boxes of condoms under the sofa! Our immediate thought was that perhaps members of staff were using the room for their own personal use. The young lady at reception offered no apology nor a explanation when I handed them over!
The funniest part of our stay was our dinner in the restaurant. I have to say the food was delicious. The service was incredibly slow. The couple beside us waited over an hour inbetween their first two courses. We had ordered a portion of chips with our main course. We couldn't believe what they put on the table. We were quite clearly being served a portion of fries from the MacDonalds down the road!!!! Hilarious.
All in all I would not stay here again. There are plenty other hotels in the area which I think are 5 star. Good food though!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Erylis
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Have recently spent a birthday weekend here. The whole resort is exceptionally clean and well kept. None off the "tired" furnishings that can be common in some places. The location is right on the lake and a short drive into town. The rooms are laid out in motel style facing into the central pool and landscaped garden area. They are smallish but very clean, well appointed and quiet. One of the best parts of the experience are the people. Exceptionally helpful and accommodating. This goes for the spa staff as well. We had an excellent massage and pedicure. The one area that let our stay down was the restaurant. While the food was good - as expected for circa $35-40 for a main - the service was very disappointing. We waited 1.5hours for our main at dinner and 45mins for our breakfast on both mornings and the table wasn't cleared so we sat for 90 mins with our starter plates in front of us. That said the owner takes service seriously, listened and responded quickly. I don't anticipate this will be a common experience and we both agreed we would stay again.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have views of lake
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We stayed at this resort for only a night but I had a great experience. Our hotel room was nice and bright but the best thing was maybe the friendliness of the staff. Everyone treated us as if we were the only ones staying there, despite the hotel being full that night. I’m glad we went there because I found some really cool beauty products at their spa (like mud for your face and stuff). The only thing I didn’t like was that it was so far away from town. It was quite a bit of a drive and I was exhausted already. But oh well, our stay was pretty good, with the great food from their restaurant really made it special. Next time I’ll know to expect a longer drive from town.
I would recommend this place to anyone who likes a relaxing adventure next to nature.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2013

The staff really made this place special. Everyone we dealt with was accommodating and genuine - nothing was a problem. This coupled with the views and the delicious food from the onsite restaurant make a great choice for a relaxing get away. Oh and the spa treatments were excellent as well! Thank you for an wonderful weekend away.

• Stayed: July 2013