“Beautiful relaxing location”

Ranked #28 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
Newcastle, England, United Kingdom
“Beautiful relaxing location”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights. The lakeside view was spectacular and the sound of trickling water from the central pool/ feature was instantly relaxing as you opened your room door in the morning. The atmosphere of the whole place was pure relaxation. Staff were really happy & chatty. Had a massage & facial treatment with volcanic mud from Hell's Gate whilst there too which was amazing! Spa area was great, with robes/slipper provided. There was a lovely bridge & stream through to a small garden which was lovely to walk around, listening to the birds. Jacuzzi and heated pool was fab in the evening with a glass of wine - except for we got swarmed by midges at sunset! Rooms were nice, everything we needed, compact - but who stays in their room when there's a spa a few steps away?! Loved Rotorua!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Greek first
Agadir, Morocco
Reviewed 9 October 2013

A few months ago during my visit to New Zealand, I stayed here at Hotel - Clarion Collection Wai Ora Lakeside Spa Resort – Rotorua. The environment was really lovely. I stayed here for 4 nights, it was really so good, the room I stayed was big, clean, well decorated and I used to go for a nice walk along the lake front to hear music taking my iphone. Even there was spa, Fitness center, swimming pool and many others. The service they offered to me was really so good and very professional. My stay here in Hotel - Clarion Collection Wai Ora Lakeside Spa Resort – Rotorua was very pleasant, the price was also very reasonable and I would love return during my next visit.

Room Tip: Every room is really good, you can choose any rooms.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank carson7
Reviewed 1 October 2013 via mobile

Lovely environment. Just a bit far from town if you have time to wander off. Room was quite narrow but superbly clean and attractive. Staff were very nice and helpful - definitely that personal touch. Would stay again.

• Stayed September 2013
Reviewed 28 September 2013

We stayed at the Wai Ora Lakeside Spa in December, so it was fairly warm, but it rained a lot – it was really nice to be able to jump into the hot springs while the rain was falling overhead. The atmosphere was relaxed and quiet, although it was quite busy. We stayed in the Deluxe Studio, it was comfortable and clean, and it was nice to have the private outdoor area. The room service was nice, though a little slow to arrive. It was great to have internet access in the room, and there were little luxuries like a robe each, which I liked. The day spa was glorious, quite expensive, but worth it for the full holiday experience. I tried the White Volcanic Stone massage, it was awesome! We drove in and parked, but you can get airport transfers as well, I think. We looked at ordering the gourmet picnic basket, but the weather wasn’t fine enough for a picnic in the end. The food was great, a bit expensive, but about what you’d expect from the quality of the hotel. It was nice to get the chance to try some native New Zealand flavours. My partner is gluten-intolerant and we were able to request gluten free food for him which was great. Overall, great hotel, nice staff, comfy and clean, expensive but worth it for a luxury getaway, lots of nice extras, try to go when it’s a bit quieter.

Room Tip: upstairs rooms may be quieter
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Beangene
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 10 September 2013

When I found Wai ora Clarion Hotel online, I decided to buy their gift cards to use during my stay. I had a nice relaxing flight to New Zealand.
My arrival was greeted by their courteous Hotel staff, I just loved the artwork and décor that certainly added to the fresh atmosphere and friendly faces that were always smiling and ready to help me with just about anything.
I especially enjoyed their luxurious spa’s and extraordinary vista’s that really complete the entire experience, I can say that this Hotel earns its 5 stars with pure dedication and professionalism every time!

Room Tip: All the rooms are amazing, especially the beach front vista's
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 9 September 2013

The massage/spa area is very nice. The dinner was nice ( some things a little bit cold & awkward to eat). Luckily we had a voucher as it would be very expensive otherwise. The rooms were nice enough, but smelt a bit like fresh paint. Service was excellent, very pleasant & helpful staff :)

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Brighton
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We booked this hotel thinking it would be quite special as it sells itself as a 5 star hotel We booked a superior suite. I was so disappointed by the standard of the room This is nothing more than a motel. There is nothing about the rooms which could be remotely compared to a 5 star hotel. It has the look and feel of a roadside motel. The balcony was very dirty and had clearly not been cleaned before our arrival. The pool area was very unwelcoming and very little space for more than one or two couples at a time.
We were amused to find a large carrier bag full of boxes of condoms under the sofa! Our immediate thought was that perhaps members of staff were using the room for their own personal use. The young lady at reception offered no apology nor a explanation when I handed them over!
The funniest part of our stay was our dinner in the restaurant. I have to say the food was delicious. The service was incredibly slow. The couple beside us waited over an hour inbetween their first two courses. We had ordered a portion of chips with our main course. We couldn't believe what they put on the table. We were quite clearly being served a portion of fries from the MacDonalds down the road!!!! Hilarious.
All in all I would not stay here again. There are plenty other hotels in the area which I think are 5 star. Good food though!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple