“Didn't even walk in...”

Mac's Steakhouse
Ranked #70 of 256 Restaurants in Rotorua
Price range: US$11 - US$22
Cuisines: New Zealand
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 2 June 2014

The place was empty and bare, not a busy time of year but it looked so uninviting. No decore, clinical, the food could have been great but I doubt I will ever know... Looked more like a doctors waiting room than a restaurant.

3  Thank Tom S

Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

This place has a good name for its steaks and don't get me wrong their steaks taste really good. But the rest of the experience apart from the food is a bit lacking. The meals have a premium price tag but the service was severely lagging behind. Small things like plates not getting cleared were annoying. Portions are small unless you buy the $45 steak. Glad I've been here once but don't think I'll be returning.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

We've had great meals at Mac's in the past, so it was quite surprising to return on Anzac day and find the menu diminished. We were with friends from the UK and were hoping for a meal which would impress. Unfortunately, this was not the case. My steak was beautifully cooked, however when you're paying $40 for a steak in Rotorua you expect more than a piece of steak, minimal jus, and a lump of burnt and under cooked potato. I was underwhelmed, and the three locals in the group left feeling a little embarrassed. It's sad that a once excellent restaurant (which could justify $40 for a steak because the meal was amazing) is now no longer.

2  Thank Gruffalomo
Reviewed 24 April 2014

The layout of the restaurant is appealing. The service is very friendly. The steak dinner was tender and delish, and the chicken dinner was yummy. The dessert choice was very good too. They had live entertainment which was excellent, a young guy on guitar and a young woman singing beautifully. Mac's have a pretty good selection of food. We would happily recommend this restaurant. If you go, say to the waitress, "I see you have great reviews on the internet...." and we're sure you won't be disappointed.

1  Thank quini1221
Reviewed 23 April 2014

One of the best steaks I have had in a longtime with great service and a live group singing background music. Highly recommend.