“Beautiful fresh produce!! ”

Mac's Food and Wine
Ranked #60 of 225 Restaurants in Rotorua
Price range: US$11 - US$26
Cuisines: New Zealand
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
“Beautiful fresh produce!! ”
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

Wow wow wow is all I can say. What an amazing taste bud experience. We enjoined our meal so much we went back the next night. First night for my entree I had the seafood selection, all elements where cooked perfectly and all came with their own beautiful sauce. Second night entree I had the chicken salad, what an explosion of taste. For my main I had the scotch fillet and it was beautiful tender meat with macs amazing bacon jam. It was so good I also ordered this the second night. My partner had the filet mignon both nights for his entree it just melted in your mouth it was the best we have ever tasted. He also had the same main both nights as it was just simply amazing. When we thought it couldn't get any better we had the creamy mushroom sauce, it was so creamy and divine I could of eaten it like a soup. The service was fantastic. It was very refreshing to have a waitress being able to explain the menu in detail.. Will be back again.

Brisbane, Australia
“Didn't even walk in...”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

The place was empty and bare, not a busy time of year but it looked so uninviting. No decore, clinical, the food could have been great but I doubt I will ever know... Looked more like a doctors waiting room than a restaurant.

Visited May 2014
3 Thank Tom S
Christchurch, New Zealand
“A good steak, bad service”
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

This place has a good name for its steaks and don't get me wrong their steaks taste really good. But the rest of the experience apart from the food is a bit lacking. The meals have a premium price tag but the service was severely lagging behind. Small things like plates not getting cleared were annoying. Portions are small unless you buy the $45 steak. Glad I've been here once but don't think I'll be returning.

Rotorua, New Zealand
“Another honest review from a local”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We've had great meals at Mac's in the past, so it was quite surprising to return on Anzac day and find the menu diminished. We were with friends from the UK and were hoping for a meal which would impress. Unfortunately, this was not the case. My steak was beautifully cooked, however when you're paying $40 for a steak in Rotorua you expect more than a piece of steak, minimal jus, and a lump of burnt and under cooked potato. I was underwhelmed, and the three locals in the group left feeling a little embarrassed. It's sad that a once excellent restaurant (which could justify $40 for a steak because the meal was amazing) is now no longer.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank Gruffalomo
Rotorua, New Zealand
“Stop for dinner here”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

The layout of the restaurant is appealing. The service is very friendly. The steak dinner was tender and delish, and the chicken dinner was yummy. The dessert choice was very good too. They had live entertainment which was excellent, a young guy on guitar and a young woman singing beautifully. Mac's have a pretty good selection of food. We would happily recommend this restaurant. If you go, say to the waitress, "I see you have great reviews on the internet...." and we're sure you won't be disappointed.

Visited March 2014